Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hendo/Cormier targeted for UFC 175 on July 5th in Vegas

Cormier has too much of a gastank for Hendo at this point... similar fighting styles or not. The guy is 43 and can still knock out a mastodon... but I wish he'd take a breather for the next 40 years.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Daniel Cormier may potentially land on UFC 173, either against Dan Henderson or Ryan Bader
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/9/...er-against-dan
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Javier Mendez expects Daniel Cormier to fight Dan Henderson at UFC 173
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/22...son-at-ufc-173
    "That's what we're planning for," Mendez said of Cormier's calendar come May 24th. "Going against the H-bomb."

The date would be a quick turnaround for Henderson, as the 43-year-old was nearly knocked out twice during a recent March 23rd skirmish against Shogun Rua at UFC Fight Night 38.

"In that regard, it might be a little surprising," Mendez acknowledged. "Because I would think that maybe you'd want a little more time off. But you know what, maybe his thought process is, ‘I'm in shape now. I'm older, it's harder to stay in shape. Why don't I just take care of it now since I'm in shape?' That's what I would be thinking."

In part due to Henderson's age, and in part due to the beating Henderson sustained against Rua, Cormier has already been labeled an overwhelming favorite to defeat the veteran on his way to an inevitable light heavyweight title shot.

But, Mendez warns, the assumption that Cormier will handle Henderson with ease is both dangerous and misguided.

"If you watch [Henderson vs. Rashad Evans at UFC 161]... it could've gone either way, in my opinion. Yeah, Evans won that fight, but it could've gone either way," Mendez explained. "When Daniel was fighting Evans (at UFC 170), a lot of people didn't think Daniel was going to steamroll Evans.

"So here we got a guy (Henderson) that actually could've taken it from Evans when they just fought not too long ago. Outside of Vitor Belfort blowing him out, who's blown him out? Machida was a split decision also. So for us to think that we're going to blow him away, that's pretty ridiculous. He's very dangerous and very experienced, and we have to be cautious about that."

Thread Information