Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Brown: I put on better performances than any of the UFC 171 welterweights

Default Matt Brown: I put on better performances than any of the UFC 171 welterweights

Matt Brown: I put on better performances than any of the UFC 171 welterweights

"The Immortal" stopped by the MMA Hour to talk about what kept him out of his fight against "The Natural Born Killer" and how it might have been a blessing in disguise.

"It was about a week and a half before the fight, I herniated two discs in my lower back, while I was wrestling. I think it was probably more overtraining. I was actually injured through most of the camp, really wasn't having a good camp at all and kind of lasted about two weeks. I was finally getting healthy, and I think I was just pushing too hard, trying to make up for lost time."

It wasn't easy for the UFC vet, who has been with the promotion for six years now, and experienced the same sentiment as fans across the world who felt his canceled co-main event fight was a heartbreaker.

"All that, what all those guys were feeling, I was feeling 10 times worse. It was probably one of the saddest things that has ever happened to me."

Brown fights the rising Silva, who is trying to enter the welterweight title picture and make an impact of his own.

With the longest current winning streak in the welterweight division, Brown is anticipating a title shot when the time comes and he doesn't know what else he needs to do inside the cage.

"I don't know what I gotta do. Everybody says, 'well you got to fight a top 10 fighter.' I just fight whomever they put in front of me. I fought six guys in a row that I just beat, only one of them went to a decision. It's not my choice not to fight a top 10 guy. I don't know what else I have to do. I just keep on fighting guys."

After UFC 171, Brown took to Twitter to say he was the true number one contender, but agreed he wasn't the best self-promoter. He also says he didn't do it so much for recognition, but to speak the truth about how he feels in the current 170-pound division.

And guys like Hector Lombard, Tyron Woodley, and Johny Hendricks might not like hearing it.

"That's how I feel. Everything I put on Twitter, Facebook, all that shit, that's all my personal feelings. I think I could beat any of those guys. I think I put on better performances than anybody on that card. Nobody talks about me."

Matt Brown: Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler 'looked like they were just playing pattycake'

After last night I know that I am the TRUE no 1 contender. I'm just not a good enough self promoter. #fuckpolitics #immortalchamp2014
    — Matthew Brown (@IamTheImmortal) March 16, 2014
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

He's also put on way worse performances then anyone on ufc 171.

I agree with Brown that it's not his fault that he hasn't been getting any top 10 fighters; he fights whoever is put in front of him. It's a travesty that he has to face Erick Silva in a lose-lose situation in my opinion, i.e., if he loses, it drops him down quite a bit, and if he wins, he beat a guy who was recently knocked out by Dong Hyun Kim.

I don't agree with his sentiment that he thinks he put on better performances than anybody on the UFC 171 card. It's easier to put better performances against lower-tier fighters. I think beating Shields and Condit in every minute of the fight is more impressive than knocking out Pyle. Lombard's and Woodley's previous [brutal] knockouts of Marquardt and Koscheck, both of whom were ranked above any of the fighters Brown beat, is much more impressive as well.

I like Brown but the fact is that he needs a top ten scalp, ideally two. If he gets past Silva I'd expect him to get a guy like Maia (if the UFC are looking to push Brown) or Saffiedine (if they're not sold on Brown, and see him as a modern day Chris Lytle).

Not his fault that he has not been given a top 10 opponent but it is his fault he is talking. Ever since his "women should fight in less clothing" comment I just would prefer he stop speaking and just fight.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

6. Default

I agree he's not a good self promoter, and he is much like Chis Lytle.lol. If he stays quite he falls faster from a title shot then talking this bs. So I don't blame him or look down at him for speaking up.

7. Default

This is the result of you people cheering for the likes of Bisping, Kos, Diaz, Sonnen and the other guys who are better talkers then they are fighters. Real fighters feel like they need to say dumb stuff to stay relevant, instead of doing their talking exclusively in the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    This is the result of you people cheering for the likes of Bisping, Kos, Diaz, Sonnen and the other guys who are better talkers then they are fighters. Real fighters feel like they need to say dumb stuff to stay relevant, instead of doing their talking exclusively in the ring.
    Matt Brown has a solid history of saying dumb stuff.

I agree with Brown that it's not his fault that he hasn't been getting any top 10 fighters; he fights whoever is put in front of him. It's a travesty that he has to face Erick Silva in a lose-lose situation in my opinion, i.e., if he loses, it drops him down quite a bit, and if he wins, he beat a guy who was recently knocked out by Dong Hyun Kim.
    I don't disagree about Silva but he WAS scheduled to face a top 5 WW prior to the injury so it's not like he's getting frozen out.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I don't disagree about Silva but he WAS scheduled to face a top 5 WW prior to the injury so it's not like he's getting frozen out.
    It kind of is like he's being frozen out. How many top WW fighters were or are still looking for fights after 171? Why not put him against one of them.

It's messed up for someone to have to rack up 10 wins in a row at this level when other people are gifted title shots coming off of losses at lower weight classes.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    It kind of is like he's being frozen out. How many top WW fighters were or are still looking for fights after 171? Why not put him against one of them.

It's messed up for someone to have to rack up 10 wins in a row at this level when other people are gifted title shots coming off of losses at lower weight classes.
    Before Brown went on this win streak he had lost 4 of his 5 previous matches none of which would have been top guys that beat him. Brown needed to reprove that he was even competitive at the UFC level much less a contender. He had a shot to fight Condit but the timing was messed up and with 171 being a WW card primarily he missed out. He either fights Silva or he sits for that much longer.

Thread Information