Thread: Citing contract problems, Josh Burkman asks Worlds Series of Fighting to release him

Default Citing contract problems, Josh Burkman asks Worlds Series of Fighting to release him

Citing contract problems, Josh Burkman asks Worlds Series of Fighting to release him

By Mookie Alexander @mookiealexander on Apr 3 2014, 9:56p

If you take a look at the World Series of Fighting 9 salaries, you'll notice that welterweight Josh Burkman did not receive a win bonus for his 1st round KO of Tyler Stinson. Instead, he was given $25,000 to show, and was the only winning fighter on the card without any win bonus. Today, Burkman stated on Twitter that he wants to head somewhere else, and has asked for WSOF to cut him loose:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/3/...ghting-release

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/4/...urkmans-tweets

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/4/...drama-mma-news
    Follow the links for the entire articles, seems like a bunch of interesting developments and several vastly differing stories...

Fuck I hope they keep him. I really think he could do well there and he could be a great star to build the promotion around. With that said, if he does choose to leave, I hope UFC picks him back up. He's 9-2 since leaving the promotion and I think he's earned a shot back in the big leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

He signed a contract. He has one fight left. Act like a man, fight the fight and move on. I like Burkman, but he's utterly wrong for doing this. If there was a problem with Aziz, go to Sefo, or simply channel that into training for your next fight, and get the hell out. Talk all you want after you fulfilled your contractual expectations.

This is one of the reasons I hate the media saturation that MMA gets. Twitter is bullshit. If it's not stuck somewhere between narcissism and navel-gazing, it's melodrama like this.

Weak.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I believe Burkman is the busiest fighter in WSOF fighting 5 times in the last 18 months

So he asks for his release, calls up the UFC for a contract, he makes up with WSOF, and they give him a title shot. Is he really going to stay with them, even if he wins the title, with his next fight being the last on his contract?

Good on the promotion for doing the "right thing", even though they had absolutely no obligation to do so (allegedly). But this seems like a bad business decision for them, if they don't sign him to a contract extension, or at least plan to fully match the forth coming UFC contract. At least if he does in fact win the title, of course.

Good for him. He deserves it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    So he asks for his release, calls up the UFC for a contract, he makes up with WSOF, and they give him a title shot. Is he really going to stay with them, even if he wins the title, with his next fight being the last on his contract?

Good on the promotion for doing the "right thing", even though they had absolutely no obligation to do so (allegedly). But this seems like a bad business decision for them, if they don't sign him to a contract extension, or at least plan to fully match the forth coming UFC contract. At least if he does in fact win the title, of course.
    I don;t think WSOF is to worried about guys jumping from them to the UFC though. They seem pretty content with their current status and aren't looking to make waves. Which is probably the safe bet it keeps them off Dana's target list and they can go about their business.

If Burkman did jump to the UFC I think they;s be ok with that title or not. But they've given him a raise from the sounds of it and he probably wouldn't pull in much more from the UFC if he did leave.

MMa fighters are independent contractors but still at the mercy of the organization they have a current contract with while the org can do as they please, fucked up world they live in if you ask me.

Glad things are resolved but I do think within the next 10 years a lot of changes are going to be made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Thread Information