Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: jake shields cut from UFC

Default jake shields cut from UFC

After a little over three years, Jake Shields' UFC run has come to an end.

The former welterweight contender has been released by the promotion, his manager Lex McMahon of Alchemist Management confirmed with MMAFighting.com.

McMahon released the following statement to MMAFighting.com Monday morning:

"Jake Shields has been released by the UFC. Jake appreciates the opportunities provided by the UFC and thanks Dana White and Lorenzo Fertita. Jake is an elite athlete who is one of the best welterweight fighters in the world with a long history of winning at a championship level.

"Jake and our team are already exploring options. I'm confident that Jake will have a new promotion to call home very soon. Jake thanks his fans for their support and looks forward to competing for them again soon."

Shields (29-7-1, 1 NC) most recently lost a unanimous decision to Hector Lombard at UFC 171 last month. The loss snapped a four-fight unbeaten streak for the 35-year-old. He made his Octagon debut at UFC 121 in Oct. 2010, defeating Martin Kampmann via split decision. His next fight was against Georges St-Pierre for the UFC welterweight title at UFC 129 in what is still the highest-grossing event in the organization's history. Over 55,000 people attended the event at the Rogers Centre in Toronto, and the gate was over $12 million. Both remain records.

Shields, who made his MMA debut in 1999, is a former EliteXC welterweight champion and Strikeforce middleweight champion. Arguably his highest-profile win came when he defeated Dan Henderson on CBS. He signed with the UFC following that win and went 4-3 with 1 no contest inside the Octagon.
    source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/7/...s-jake-shields

oh snap. I always liked shields and the only time I was rooting against him was with his fight against jake Ellenberger. hope he signs with WSOF and there's a chance he could win a title there.
    Last edited by cosmicsunn; 04-07-2014 at 09:41 AM. Reason: source

Oh wow. A decision loss to Lombard puts you on the chopping block these days?

Amazing the logic for who stays and who goes in the UFC. Jake Sheilds just beat Maia and Woodley!

WSOF could use another big name at WW and I am sure they will pick him up.

I am not a fan of Sheilds at all but damn, yet another questionable cut.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Wow, terrible decision by the UFC. After that performance against Maia, I was a believer.

Losing to the Champ, and then to Lombard (but not back-to-back) should not result in him getting cut.

WHAT!!!?!?!?!?!?!? Goddamn that is ridiculous. Funny because Dana was so high on signing him after the Hendo win now he cuts him after one loss. The dude hadn't lost in three years prior to that.

I hope Dana White posts again so I can neg him again hahahaha.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

He's had only one non split decision win in his UFC career, many fans continuously/vocally called him out for being boring probably played a big role in this.
    You have to know what you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    WHAT!!!?!?!?!?!?!? Goddamn that is ridiculous. Funny because Dana was so high on signing him after the Hendo win now he cuts him after one loss. The dude hadn't lost in three years prior to that.

I hope Dana White posts again so I can neg him again hahahaha.
    Dana White has posted here before? lol

But anyways, what a moron. Things like this just make the UFC seem illegitimate and turn me off from them.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I wish I could find what thread I posted in where I said: "When he loses to Lombard he's gonna get cut."
    No more blanket fighters in the UFC. Goodbye Fitch, Not welcomed Askren, goodbye Shields.
    Last edited by The8thPlague; 04-07-2014 at 11:01 AM.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Wow.

And now everybody will be a Jake Shields fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Good riddance. I absolutely hated his fighting style, even Fitch was more exciting to watch.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Thread Information