Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: jake shields cut from UFC

Popularity contest...

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Jake Shields got cut not Diego Sanchez...
    Valid point. Sanchez is in a similar situation really. He wins a lot of split decisions but then he will lose a couple of bad ones. Although I think one can make an argument for him to be cut, his real saving grace is that he is the original ultimate fighter and has 7 FOTNs under his belt. Still, Sanchez has a much better UFC track record than Shields.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty View Post
    The difference between JS and RG is that Royce only went to decision one time in his UFC career, a draw with Ken Shamrock. Other than that he lost to Matt Hughes and submitted EVERYONE ELSE. Grappling can be, and is, exciting. I think that JS's specific style was perceived as boring because there were long periods of him waiting for his opponent to make a mistake; which leads to inaction.
    Yes, when your opponents have no clue how to stop a submission, you will get more finishes. Unfortunately for boring old Shields today's UFC fighters don't have as many gaping holes in their game.

The UFC's game plan of protecting strikers who can't grapple for shit, and punishing grapplers, who honestly most of the time don't even need to know how to strike because their opponent can't stay on his feet, for not being exciting, is terrible. Granted some wrestlers really can't strike, but Dana labels them all as being one dimensional, when that's unfair. Even if you can strike, why play to your opponent's strengths when you can double leg him 3 times, and get your hand raised? There was a guy on TUF that Dana went to extreme lengths to bash for being one dimensional, after the guy's very first fight. The guy was dominant. He had no need to do anything but wrestle, because his opponent had no answer for it. That didn't stop Dana from bashing him, and labeling him. We all know the same wouldn't be true if a striker beat the crap out of somebody for a couple of rounds. That guy wouldn't get shit on for not hitting a few throws, or throwing up a few sub attempts. The UFC is a MMA business. MMA is a sport. Sports are supposed to sell under their own merit, because people like that sport. If it can't sell without major changes, and twists, then maybe the company should consider getting into a different sport. MMA includes grappling. Grappling often times trumps striking, especially when the striker has sub par grappling. The UFC doesn't like that because they really don't wanna be an MMA company. They like all the tag lines that go along with every fighting style being welcome, but in reality they only want kick boxing.

Just to be clear, I don't like Jake Shields at all.

He's had only one non split decision win in his UFC career, many fans continuously/vocally called him out for being boring probably played a big role in this.
    Seriously, fuck everyone who called him boring. Fuck anyone who values entertainment over skill.

It's really unfortunate that clueless assholes dictate the course of the sport as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Just part of the UFC business model if you are making good money but not likely to win the title you'll get cut (Fitch, Okami, Guillard, Kongo etc...)
    When is chael sonnen's pink slip coming? he makes multiple times more than Jake, and is half as skilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    The cut is just another example of how the UFC is leaning more and more towards entertainment and getting away from the sport aspect. It's a shame really.
    It's definitely a shame.

The difference between JS and RG is that Royce only went to decision one time in his UFC career, a draw with Ken Shamrock. Other than that he lost to Matt Hughes and submitted EVERYONE ELSE. Grappling can be, and is, exciting. I think that JS's specific style was perceived as boring because there were long periods of him waiting for his opponent to make a mistake; which leads to inaction.
    You couldn't be farther off base here. First of all, the UFC was founded as a work. There was no way Royce wasn't going to win the first tourney, the guys in that tourney were specifically chosen to lose to him. That's actually documented.

The difference between Royce and Jake is that the sport has progressed. The skills of the fighters have improved. Jake would take Royce's lunch money, without a doubt. If you want to make a comparison to Royce, look no further than Ronda. She's a one-trick pony in the same shallow talent pool that Royce splashed around in.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Seriously, fuck everyone who called him boring. Fuck anyone who values entertainment over skill.

It's really unfortunate that clueless assholes dictate the course of the sport as a whole.

When is chael sonnen's pink slip coming? he makes multiple times more than Jake, and is half as skilled.

It's definitely a shame.

You couldn't be farther off base here. First of all, the UFC was founded as a work. There was no way Royce wasn't going to win the first tourney, the guys in that tourney were specifically chosen to lose to him. That's actually documented.

The difference between Royce and Jake is that the sport has progressed. The skills of the fighters have improved. Jake would take Royce's lunch money, without a doubt. If you want to make a comparison to Royce, look no further than Ronda. She's a one-trick pony in the same shallow talent pool that Royce splashed around in.

rh
    I could be wrong here, but wasn't Big John supposed to fight at UFC 1 but then wasn't allowed because he had bjj experience and they wanted Royce to be the only bjj guy?
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I don't remember the Kampmann fight very well, but I thought Jake won the Maia and Woodley fights. He also has a 1st round sub against Robbie Lawler who was a quarter of a round away from winning the UFC belt. Someone here posted that he will never be champ anyways, well I definitely think he could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    ...I still don't think he even beat Kampmann. He's got a bad habit of winning bullshit split decisions, and I imagine the UFC brass saw it the same way. The guy is the Leonard Garcia of the welterweight division, just without the excitement.
    Last edited by VimyRidge; 04-07-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Sucks to see him get cut. Yes I found some of his matches boring but at the same time I appreciated his grappling skill.

I was never a big fan but when his Father passed just weeks from his fight with Ellenberger and he chose to fight anyway, I became a big fan

I started liking him in the Henderson fight, thought there was no way he was going to pull it off after getting destroyed in the first part of the first. Watching him blanket Henderson for 4 rounds was incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Sucks to see him get cut. Yes I found some of his matches boring but at the same time I appreciated his grappling skill.

I was never a big fan but when his Father passed just weeks from his fight with Ellenberger and he chose to fight anyway, I became a big fan

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    I started liking him in the Henderson fight, thought there was no way he was going to pull it off after getting destroyed in the first part of the first. Watching him blanket Henderson for 4 rounds was incredible.
    It was impressive, no doubt but I was rooting for Hendo lol.

But to comeback from that first round was amazing, especially considering Hendo had just killed Bisping with a punch like that not long before.

I was shocked at first. And I am still confused as to why they would let someone of Jakes caliber go. True he wasn't the most entertaining to watch at times but he is a solid top 10 fighter if not top 5.

Overall though, I must say I am kinda glad this happened. Shields will hopefully go to WSOF or maybe even BFC where he will either dominate like he did in Strikeforce, or end up giving credibility to there home grown champions. While I am in firm belief that 1 major organization is the best business model for MMA there needs to be a shake up and scare put into the UFC so that maybe one day a guy of Jake Shields caliber isn't let go.

My biggest hope is that he wasn't let go because people thought he was boring or just because of money. I am hoping it was something like he was near the end of his contract, knew he wasn't going to resign so instead of waiting getting a fight and then probably going through a 90 day no compete or match clause he was simply let go to choose his own future. What really sucks for me though is if Woodly beats Rory and gets a title shot. I think he should have had to go through Shields again, or at least through Lombard who just destroyed Jake.

Chances are, unless Jake is just about done, we will see him in the UFC again one day. He will win and Dana and company will be forced to bring him in and give him a shot. Or maybe I'm just dreaming

Thread Information