Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: jake shields cut from UFC

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    And Maia has lost agian since Shields.
    Shit forgot about that lol and he's older then Jake so only thing I can think of is it's about the money(styles are similar), don't wanna cut into the million/billions and share o.0

but Maia's one of my fav fighters so yay that he's still around lol

Honestly I'm torn between the true sport reasoning vs entertaining reasoning for who gets cut etc. I like seeing good fighters stick around even if they're boring cause they're really good at some aspect. I hate seeing exciting fighters get cut when they keep losing cause they're great to watch.

But anyway, for those that lean heavily on "true sport" aspect, take a look at boxing and especially the heavyweight division. The Klitschko Brothers specifically - they are tremendous fighters but not all that exciting to most people. When is the last time the heavyweight division in Boxing was headline news? Hell for that matter, Mayweather's fights suck to watch if you ask me with all that prancing. If you're only attracting boxing or MMA purists that's a small percentage of fans. The NFL, MLB, NBA, etc don't only attract die-hards of the respective sport. For MMA to be as common as those leagues, this is unfortunately part of it. The bright spot for those smotherers, lay n pray, or pitter patter point fighters is that they can keep winning and won't get cut. Or, develop a new damn aspect maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    The NFL, MLB, NBA, etc don't only attract die-hards of the respective sport. For MMA to be as common as those leagues, this is unfortunately part of it.

Could you imagine the reaction though if one of the other sports leagues cut a team because they weren't exciting but still won... especially if they were a competitive team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Could you imagine the reaction though if one of the other sports leagues cut a team because they weren't exciting but still won... especially if they were a competitive team.
    there would be San Antonio Spurs that's for sure.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    They would cut/move a team for not being profitable, not for losing. Same thing here.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    They would cut/move a team for not being profitable, not for losing. Same thing here.
    I doubt they would do that, I remember the MLB threatening to contract the Twins then the Twins won the division so they didn't do it anymore. They also were going to contract the Expos that same years but ended up moving them to Washington instead. Teams don't get contracted when they sell poorly they just move so I don't think it is a proper comparison between team sports with established leagues and a combat sport that is only 21 years old as an organization.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I doubt they would do that, I remember the MLB threatening to contract the Twins then the Twins won the division so they didn't do it anymore. They also were going to contract the Expos that same years but ended up moving them to Washington instead. Teams don't get contracted when they sell poorly they just move so I don't think it is a proper comparison between team sports with established leagues and a combat sport that is only 21 years old as an organization.
    That would be the move aspect in his statement

I've already accepted it as fact long ago that UFC does not represent MMA as a sport. It's only entertainment.

9. Default

I see Jake as to good on one hand and not good enough on the other. He could beat anybody< but lose to the same. I can't argue his style did not keep up with the times. As said money drives sports today not the best against the best.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    I see Jake as to good on one hand and not good enough on the other. He could beat anybody< but lose to the same. I can't argue his style did not keep up with the times. As said money drives sports today not the best against the best.
    Yeah you're right there it always confused me that he was able to eat those H-bombs and even manage to win the fight against a much bigger Dan Henderson yet was knocked ouy in a minute by Ellenberger.

Thread Information