Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 90

Thread: jake shields cut from UFC

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    They would cut/move a team for not being profitable, not for losing. Same thing here.
    That's not true. The whole WNBA is not profitable. The Lions lose money and have for years. Lots of NBA teams lose money.

    Those leagues realize that overall representation is important.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

  2. #62
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Honestly I'm torn between the true sport reasoning vs entertaining reasoning for who gets cut etc. I like seeing good fighters stick around even if they're boring cause they're really good at some aspect. I hate seeing exciting fighters get cut when they keep losing cause they're great to watch.
    The instant an organization starts cutting better skilled fighters to keep around the less skilled but perhaps more entertaining, that brings the entire organization's legitimacy as a sport into question. With the UFC's actions as of late, they are moving more towards something like the WWE, which is where I get off the bus. When I watch a professional sport, I expect to see the very best in the world.

    But with respects to fighters that are labeled as boring, couldn't the responsibility of that fall into the hands of the referee? Maybe new definitions need to be created for when to stand fighters up, or to separate them out of a clinch. There are certainly refs now who are much quicker than others to do so.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Posts
    2,255

    Default

    i get that comparing major professional sports isnt always the best when comparing mma to them but how is this differnet then an NFL team cutting a player - who is more skilled then the majority of the team and makes way more money then the team wants to pay them. I.e Chris Johnson, DeSean Jackson, James Harrison, Darrelle Revis, Julius Peppers, etc. etc.

    Just look at it as one team (the ufc) cutting a player and he goes to a new team (Bellator, WSOF, etc.)

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Both good points from Rise and RNS. Let's use baseball, who gets more attention: the home run hitter or the defensive catcher who calls tremendous games behind the plate? The power pitcher throwing 95+ MPH or the ground ball pitcher that can't break 90? I do realize you can't compare MMA to these other sports identically. The catcher and the junk pitcher aren't going to get cut if they're good. The other player's will get more sponsors and TV spots though. But who's more valuable to the team? I think the problem is the UFC trying to compete with the NFL, MLB, etc. That makes them think they're not making enough and have to strive for more $$$. Shitty situation that's hard to please everyone. Too bad more people weren't MMA purists and enjoyed all aspects I guess. If it was more popular, these types of fighters might not get cut as quickly. And Stephan Bonnars or Diego Sanchezes wouldn't stick around way past their expiration.
    There is a major problem with this analogy though. You're comparing a team sport to an individual sport. In a team sport you can have those "one trick ponies" who only specialize in a single facet of the game because they are backed by the rest of the team in an attempt to build a varied opponent. If the entire team relied on a single skill it just wouldnt work, or at least probably wouldnt be exciting.

    Jake can certainly specialize in one aspect, but he, like all fighters, need to have the ability to mix things up a bit

  5. #65
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    i get that comparing major professional sports isnt always the best when comparing mma to them but how is this differnet then an NFL team cutting a player - who is more skilled then the majority of the team and makes way more money then the team wants to pay them. I.e Chris Johnson, DeSean Jackson, James Harrison, Darrelle Revis, Julius Peppers, etc. etc.

    Just look at it as one team (the ufc) cutting a player and he goes to a new team (Bellator, WSOF, etc.)
    I don't think you can compare a team sport to an individual sport. 1st of all, no highly skilled player gets cut, they get traded. If a team trades away a highly skilled, highly paid player, it is usually to get another one they feel is of equal value, or for multiple players. The team will do whatever it can to make it the best team possible. The NFL, being the highest level of football wants the highest level of teams and players in its league. If the UFC wants to continue being viewed as the highest level of MMA, they need to have the best fighters fighting for them, just like the NFL needs to have the best teams.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Posts
    2,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    1st of all, no highly skilled player gets cut, they get traded. If a team trades away a highly skilled, highly paid player, it is usually to get another one they feel is of equal value, or for multiple players. The team will do whatever it can to make it the best team possible.
    All of the names i listed are highly skilled players who were not traded this year and were cut this offseason. Sometimes whats best for the team - or in this case the organization (UFC) is to part ways with aging / expensive talent.

    And just for an example - DeSean Jackson is 27 years old, coming off his best statistical season of his career - 16 games, 82 catches, 1332 yards (16.2 per catch) 9 TDs.

    ^ DeSean was cut by the eagles last week and has since signed with a new team.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,533

    Default

    I'd counter by saying that fight sports are not building a dynasty or legacy style team. It's a single champion and the other competitors individually work toward that goal.

    I do, however, see the need to move stagnant fighters to make room for young/budding talent. So, from that perspective, we agree.

    Cutting shields if he has a contract that doesn't match his success/performance makes sense in the ufc world of logic. It obviously does not in the world of the hardcore mma fan.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,432

    Default

    The UFC doesn't have salary cap to worry about either.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?


  9. #69

    Default

    UFC President Dana White spoke with Yahoo Sport’s Kevin Iole regarding his reasons behind cutting welterweight competitor Jake Shields.

    Many MMA fans and pundits alike were in uproar on Monday morning with the announcement that long-time welterweight competitor Jake Shields had been released from the UFC.

    The decision was met with some expected backlash from the MMA community, as Shields had gone 4-3-1 during his time with the promotion and was coming off a loss to top competitor Hector Lombard.

    To shed some light on the decision, Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports spoke with UFC President Dana White, who revealed that money was certainly a factor that led to his release.

    "We look at everything," White said. "Everything. Money has something to do with it. I'd be lying if I said it didn't. But that wasn't the only reason or the main reason. It was a part of the piece of the puzzle as we were doing our evaluation of him."
    White also mentioned that age was another factor in the decision, as Shields is 35 years olds and facing a ‘young man's game.' Dana also believes that the former Strikeforce middleweight champion is now ‘just another guy.'

    "Mixed Martial Arts is a young man's game. I like Jake Shields a lot. But let's be honest here: Where was he going in this [welterweight] division of animals we have? He's on the downswing, and he's never going to be the guy. His stand-up never improved. He hasn't really shown anything in his last couple of fights to make you go, 'Holy [expletive].'

    Right now, at this point, he's just another guy. "
    How is Jake Shields on the downswing? Because he lost to one elite fighter? He just beat two guys who are/were near contenders in both Woodley and Maia. They are both top 10s.

    Also, if Shields is on the downswing, then what about Maia, who lost his last 2? I don't think Maia is even on a downswing and I absolutely love the guy, but one could make the argument, he's on more of a downswing than Shields. Forget Maia, what about Marquardt who is clearly on the downswing. He lost his last 3 and was brutally KOed in his last 2.

    If it is money, how come he wasn't even given a chance to re-negotiate much like Brandon Vera was?

    Let's not bullshit ourselves, he was cut because his style wasn't appealing to the fans.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Let's not bullshit ourselves, he was cut because his style wasn't appealing to the fans.
    Couldn't agree more.

    I've already said my peace on this one... but since Dana has commented, I feel the need to take him to task for one of the statements he made. Because he said the EXACT same thing about Fitch... and Okami...

    "These guys are on the downswing of their career".

    How does he know that?!?!

    Dan Hardy lost 4 in a row! But he wasn't "on the downswing".
    Mark Hunt had a losing record in Pride... how has that turned out???
    Someone already mentioned Diego... who I ACTUALLY believe IS on the downswing... but I haven't heard a peep from Dana... because Diego is willing to risk permanent injury/damage and seems more interested in making money for the UFC than in strategizing and winning fights.
    BJ Penn hasn't had a solid performance in YEARS... he's now COACHING the Ultimate Fighter!
    The list goes on and on...

    I'm just confused why Dana White (who I really do have a lot of respect for... I know it's not the popular view... but I like Dana White!) thinks that he has the ability to determine which fighters are "on the downswing"?!

    It's arrogant.
    It's annoying.
    And it's OBVIOUSLY a thin disguise for the truth, which is, sadly - The UFC is more concerned with making money than it is with determining who the TRUE best fighters are.

    Which is FINE!!! There's nothing wrong with wanting to make money!!!!!!
    Just DON'T try to spin it like that's NOT what you're doing.
    Because it is.
    And it's obvious.

    Just my two cents.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •