Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: jake shields cut from UFC

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    That would be the move aspect in his statement
    I know but cutting and moving is a big difference. I was saying it is unlikely a team would ever be cut unless the team was so mindblowingly horrible that they couldn't win any games and in that case the owner should be banned from owning teams because obviously they aren't remotely trying to put together a decent product.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    They would cut/move a team for not being profitable, not for losing. Same thing here.
    Both good points from Rise and RNS. Let's use baseball, who gets more attention: the home run hitter or the defensive catcher who calls tremendous games behind the plate? The power pitcher throwing 95+ MPH or the ground ball pitcher that can't break 90? I do realize you can't compare MMA to these other sports identically. The catcher and the junk pitcher aren't going to get cut if they're good. The other player's will get more sponsors and TV spots though. But who's more valuable to the team? I think the problem is the UFC trying to compete with the NFL, MLB, etc. That makes them think they're not making enough and have to strive for more $$$. Shitty situation that's hard to please everyone. Too bad more people weren't MMA purists and enjoyed all aspects I guess. If it was more popular, these types of fighters might not get cut as quickly. And Stephan Bonnars or Diego Sanchezes wouldn't stick around way past their expiration.
    Last edited by hass; 04-08-2014 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    They would cut/move a team for not being profitable, not for losing. Same thing here.
    That's not true. The whole WNBA is not profitable. The Lions lose money and have for years. Lots of NBA teams lose money.

Those leagues realize that overall representation is important.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Honestly I'm torn between the true sport reasoning vs entertaining reasoning for who gets cut etc. I like seeing good fighters stick around even if they're boring cause they're really good at some aspect. I hate seeing exciting fighters get cut when they keep losing cause they're great to watch.
    The instant an organization starts cutting better skilled fighters to keep around the less skilled but perhaps more entertaining, that brings the entire organization's legitimacy as a sport into question. With the UFC's actions as of late, they are moving more towards something like the WWE, which is where I get off the bus. When I watch a professional sport, I expect to see the very best in the world.

But with respects to fighters that are labeled as boring, couldn't the responsibility of that fall into the hands of the referee? Maybe new definitions need to be created for when to stand fighters up, or to separate them out of a clinch. There are certainly refs now who are much quicker than others to do so.

i get that comparing major professional sports isnt always the best when comparing mma to them but how is this differnet then an NFL team cutting a player - who is more skilled then the majority of the team and makes way more money then the team wants to pay them. I.e Chris Johnson, DeSean Jackson, James Harrison, Darrelle Revis, Julius Peppers, etc. etc.

Just look at it as one team (the ufc) cutting a player and he goes to a new team (Bellator, WSOF, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Both good points from Rise and RNS. Let's use baseball, who gets more attention: the home run hitter or the defensive catcher who calls tremendous games behind the plate? The power pitcher throwing 95+ MPH or the ground ball pitcher that can't break 90? I do realize you can't compare MMA to these other sports identically. The catcher and the junk pitcher aren't going to get cut if they're good. The other player's will get more sponsors and TV spots though. But who's more valuable to the team? I think the problem is the UFC trying to compete with the NFL, MLB, etc. That makes them think they're not making enough and have to strive for more $$$. Shitty situation that's hard to please everyone. Too bad more people weren't MMA purists and enjoyed all aspects I guess. If it was more popular, these types of fighters might not get cut as quickly. And Stephan Bonnars or Diego Sanchezes wouldn't stick around way past their expiration.
    There is a major problem with this analogy though. You're comparing a team sport to an individual sport. In a team sport you can have those "one trick ponies" who only specialize in a single facet of the game because they are backed by the rest of the team in an attempt to build a varied opponent. If the entire team relied on a single skill it just wouldnt work, or at least probably wouldnt be exciting.

Jake can certainly specialize in one aspect, but he, like all fighters, need to have the ability to mix things up a bit

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    i get that comparing major professional sports isnt always the best when comparing mma to them but how is this differnet then an NFL team cutting a player - who is more skilled then the majority of the team and makes way more money then the team wants to pay them. I.e Chris Johnson, DeSean Jackson, James Harrison, Darrelle Revis, Julius Peppers, etc. etc.

Just look at it as one team (the ufc) cutting a player and he goes to a new team (Bellator, WSOF, etc.)
    I don't think you can compare a team sport to an individual sport. 1st of all, no highly skilled player gets cut, they get traded. If a team trades away a highly skilled, highly paid player, it is usually to get another one they feel is of equal value, or for multiple players. The team will do whatever it can to make it the best team possible. The NFL, being the highest level of football wants the highest level of teams and players in its league. If the UFC wants to continue being viewed as the highest level of MMA, they need to have the best fighters fighting for them, just like the NFL needs to have the best teams.

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    1st of all, no highly skilled player gets cut, they get traded. If a team trades away a highly skilled, highly paid player, it is usually to get another one they feel is of equal value, or for multiple players. The team will do whatever it can to make it the best team possible.
    All of the names i listed are highly skilled players who were not traded this year and were cut this offseason. Sometimes whats best for the team - or in this case the organization (UFC) is to part ways with aging / expensive talent.

And just for an example - DeSean Jackson is 27 years old, coming off his best statistical season of his career - 16 games, 82 catches, 1332 yards (16.2 per catch) 9 TDs.

^ DeSean was cut by the eagles last week and has since signed with a new team.

I'd counter by saying that fight sports are not building a dynasty or legacy style team. It's a single champion and the other competitors individually work toward that goal.

I do, however, see the need to move stagnant fighters to make room for young/budding talent. So, from that perspective, we agree.

Cutting shields if he has a contract that doesn't match his success/performance makes sense in the ufc world of logic. It obviously does not in the world of the hardcore mma fan.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

The UFC doesn't have salary cap to worry about either.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Thread Information