Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: jake shields cut from UFC

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    Oh, you're the one?
    Well, there can be only one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    There is a major problem with this analogy though. You're comparing a team sport to an individual sport. In a team sport you can have those "one trick ponies" who only specialize in a single facet of the game because they are backed by the rest of the team in an attempt to build a varied opponent. If the entire team relied on a single skill it just wouldnt work, or at least probably wouldnt be exciting.

Jake can certainly specialize in one aspect, but he, like all fighters, need to have the ability to mix things up a bit
    Yup, I understand that. But still the closest comparison I could come up with. As far as Jake and the UFC go there are two sides to it, the UFC should have the $$$ to keep all top ranked fighters on, boring or not, legitimizing the brand as the ultimate sports league of MMA. Lesser than the that but nonetheless, Jake isn't well rounded. So if you're grappling only fighter you better win. He did most of the time so it is the E in the UFC that cut him. Jake should have learned trash talking & posing if he couldn't learn kickboxing? lol

While I don't totally feel/like what I'm about to say, you guys have to realize the UFC did not call themselves the World Mixed Martial Arts League. Fighting promotions are hiring fighters they want to showcase on their stage. Pride had freak show fights with pro wrestlers and superweights and such. While the UFC does say they have the best fighters in the world, which they pretty much do when you put up one of another promotions best vs their best, they are not saying they have every single fighter out there that is an elite level fighter. Nature of the beast with any promotion out there and that's ever been. So until you get your World League of Mixed Martial Arts or the Olympics start having MMA you guys are always going to have something to bitch about. ...and I know you know not to hold your breath on the latter!
    Last edited by hass; 04-10-2014 at 08:46 AM.

3. Default

I agree that Jake hasn't looked stellar lately but I feel like he's earned at least one more shot.

Unfortunately, his striking has looked abysmal for years and his takedowns have no explosiveness in them. He shouldn't of gotten cut, but I could see why he did.

I wonder if he was offered to restructure his contract?
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Was Shields even technically cut from his contract? Or was he just let go from the match period after his last fight. I was under the impression going into the fight Lombard that it was the last fight on his contract. I am also under the impression that there is a time or day limit on a fighter for negotiations after there last fight (maybe its just a time limit plus number of fights). If this is the case then I am not as upset about it. This would lead me to believe that Shields and the UFC wasn't seeing eye to eye on money and they let him get a head start instead of tying him up.

If this is the case, I can't be upset about it. This is just me throwing something out there of course and is probably way off base. I would like to think that the UFC would offer a fighter such as Shields some kind of contract even if it was a lower amount than Shields wanted.

but prior to his UFC 171 loss to Hector Lombard, Shields claimed to believe the fight was the last of his contract. Shields reiterated the point Mar. 4 telling the guys at MMA Junkie Radio: 'I can't go out and lose to Hector and ask for more money, so I've got to take it one step at a time.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/8/...onnen-mma-news

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/03/with-co...h-ufc-171-win/

Sounds to me almost like Dana was just talking out of his ass as to why Jake got cut and doesn't really have a clue.

Former Strikeforce champ Jake Shields signs with World Series of Fighting
    Shields’ manager, Lex McMahon, on Thursday confirmed Shields’ signing to MMAjunkie following an initial report from Bleacher Report. No terms of the deal are known, and WSOF has yet to make an official announcement of Shields being in the fold, or of when his first fight will be.

“Jake is happy to call WSOF home, and is looking forward to a long relationship,” McMahon told MMAjunkie.

6. Default

Jake vs Fitch!

Have him fight Josh Berkman, winner gets title shot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

8. Default

Tommy Toe Hold
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Shields: UFC being taken in 'kind of ridiculous' direction
    And as well, the UFC is looking to promote young, new talent, rather than fighters like Shields who have been fighting since the late 90s.

UFC president Dana White discussed it with Yahoo Sports Kevin Iole.

"We look at everything," said White. "Everything. Money has something to do with it. I'd be lying if I said it didn't. But that wasn't the only reason or the main reason. It was a part of the piece of the puzzle as we were doing our evaluation of him."

"Mixed martial arts is a young man's game. I like Jake Shields a lot. But let's be honest here: Where was he going in this division of animals we have? He's on the downswing, and he's never going to be the guy. His stand-up never improved. He hasn't really shown anything in his last couple of fights to make you go, 'Holy s---.' Right now, at this point, he's just another guy."

Now, in an interview with MMAFighting, Shields responds.

"I was definitely a little surprised," said Shields. "Especially coming off some big wins, guys in the top-10, main events."

"I definitely didn't think they'd drop me after one loss. But, you know, I had a terrible performance. I certainly didn't feel like I fought like myself that night. But, given that it was one performance, you should get a second chance to go out there and try to win again. And I wasn't given that. But, ultimately it is what it is."

"I didn't read what Dana said, but ‘another guy?' So are [a lot of other fighters] I guess, considering I beat at least half the guys in the top-10. That's a little bit ridiculous. But I guess you have to justify it somehow."

"My last two fights have been really close and I haven't finished, so I figure maybe they're just doing that. But that doesn't really... I feel like the sport, they're trying to pull it away from being the best in the sport, and just putting it into, oh, you gotta go and slug it out and fight the way they want you to, which is kind of ridiculous. You wouldn't have guys like Floyd Mayweather being the best in the world if [boxing executives] pressured him like that.

"But it's where it is right now. You just have to deal with it.

"It's a rough industry. You never know what the next day is going to bring. One loss and all of a sudden you're out of the whole show. From being lined up to get a title shot, to being out of the show, you never know where you're going to end up.

"It's definitely a little frustrating, but I just have to not let it get to me and just keep going out there and winning fights and doing what I do."

Speaking of Shields and UFC cuts...

Another two fighters on a streak of poor performances appear to have been given their walking papers from the UFC. Nothing is set in stone, but these types of moves are usually only indicative of one thing. In the mean time, UFCFIGHTERSiNFO has posted that three names have been deleted from the UFC's roster of active fighters.

[Deleted] Bubba McDaniel (Middle) [Deleted] Jake Shields (Welter) [Deleted] Renee Forte (Light) http://t.co/GeU9kLzLL9
    — UFCFIGHTERSiNFO (@UFCFIGHTERSiNFO) April 18, 2014
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/21...forte-mma-news

Thread Information