Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: jake shields cut from UFC

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Good riddance. I absolutely hated his fighting style, even Fitch was more exciting to watch.
    Lucky for you, there is a great chance you will get the opportunity to see him fight Fitch in WSoF
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Just part of the UFC business model if you are making good money but not likely to win the title you'll get cut (Fitch, Okami, Guillard, Kongo etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Dana White has posted here before? lol

But anyways, what a moron. Things like this just make the UFC seem illegitimate and turn me off from them.
    No one time I said something like I wish Dana would come on here so I can say shit to him then someone made a fake account called Dana White and cursed me out hahahah.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Just part of the UFC business model if you are making good money but not likely to win the title you'll get cut (Fitch, Okami, Guillard, Kongo etc...)
    Ummm, I think you're forgetting a huge criterion: if your style is not appealing to the fan base or the company. If people are making good money and not likely to win the title, but is appealing (and there are many who fall into this category), they will not get cut. The style component is THE reason why Fitch, Shields and Okami were cut. Guillard was cut primarily due to his poor run recently. Kongo was a mix of both.

The cut is just another example of how the UFC is leaning more and more towards entertainment and getting away from the sport aspect. It's a shame really.

Yeah, I'm kind of glad he got cut. First the guy fails a drug test, then has two boring and questionable wins, then a loss. I've seen people get cut for less. This just makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I understand this from the business side of things Jake Shields is for sure a top ten guy maybe even a top five however this dude could not draw in a fan on a chalk board and if you don't make them money really there is no point in you being with the company

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Yeah, I'm kind of glad he got cut. First the guy fails a drug test, then has two boring and questionable wins, then a loss. I've seen people get cut for less. This just makes sense.
    this ^^ add in the money he makes and it makes even more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I wish I could find what thread I posted in where I said: "When he loses to Lombard he's gonna get cut."
    No more blanket fighters in the UFC. Goodbye Fitch, Not welcomed Askren, goodbye Shields.

I find your post (and a lot of the posts on this topic) to be very interesting.

First... I agree that Shields has to be one of the most boring fighters I've ever seen. I don't think that point is in dispute.
    BUT!!!! It begs the question... (and it's a frequently asked question!) - "Is the UFC a SPORT... or ENTERTAINMENT?"

For me... this cut (and a lot of similar cuts) by the UFC speaks to the heart of the matter.

Because whether or not Jake Shields is a boring fighter or not... whether Fitch is boring or not... whether Okami is boring or not... that makes NO difference IF the UFC is a SPORT.
    Why?
    Because the UFC is SUPPOSEDLY about finding out who the BEST fighter in the world is.
    To that end... if a guy wins... REGARDLESS of HOW he wins... he's the best.

To put it another way... if Shields (or any other fighter) can "Lay on a guy" for three rounds and win... then he is the better fighter.

If the UFC wants to be like "real life fighting"... then it doesn't matter how a guy wins! A win is a win.

Ask Royce Gracie.
    Remember him? He didn't punch or kick or knock guys out... he won fights with what some might (and many do!) consider a boring grappling style.
    But he won.
    Proving he was the better fighter.
    Because in real life fights... you don't get anything for being fancy. Or exciting. Or spectacular.
    You either win, or lose.

If the UFC is trying to determine who the BEST fighter is... they can't pick and choose who to promote. They can't pick and choose styles they LIKE, and promote those... while just IGNORING guys they don't like. (Shields isn't exciting? Askren is boring? We'll just pretend they don't exist. Problem solved. Johnny Hendricks is the best.)

But is he?

I know this is long and rambling... but I hope my point is clear.

The UFC was born to answer the question WHO IS THE BEST FIGHTER? WHAT STYLE IS MOST EFFECTIVE?

NOT "what style is most exciting and sells the most tickets."

So... it seems to me that, as these cuts continue, the UFC is continuing to step toward ENTERTAINMENT... and away from real SPORT competition.

Just ask Gina Carano. She's about to make a lot of money on a fight that has NOTHING to do with competition... and everything to do with marketing and sales.

Just my two cents.

I want to see the best fighter win I don't care about their style, I'd rather they work on some of the rules and scoring aspects then cutting fighters.

I am not saying that I am happy he got fired but...I am happy he got fired!
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information