Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: jake shields cut from UFC

I just never understood why he couldn't pick up the standup game. His camp is full of solid boxers he just seems to fall into that same shitty stance after the first time he gets hit then it's over.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Ummm, I think you're forgetting a huge criterion: if your style is not appealing to the fan base or the company. If people are making good money and not likely to win the title, but is appealing (and there are many who fall into this category), they will not get cut. The style component is THE reason why Fitch, Shields and Okami were cut. Guillard was cut primarily due to his poor run recently. Kongo was a mix of both.

The cut is just another example of how the UFC is leaning more and more towards entertainment and getting away from the sport aspect. It's a shame really.
    Not really forgetting but it is a good point on top of what I was saying. For an organization that claims it has the best fighters in the world it's definitely letting guys go that would still be capable of a beating a good portion of their weight class.

UFC Quick Quote: Dana White compares Jake Shields to Jon Fitch, calls him 'just another guy' on a 'downswing'
    "We look at everything. Everything. Money has something to do with it. I'd be lying if I said it didn't. But, that wasn't the only reason or the main reason. It was a part of the piece of the puzzle as we were doing our evaluation of him. Mixed martial arts is a young man's game... I like Jake Shields a lot. But let's be honest here: Where was he going in this [welterweight] division of animals we have? He's on the downswing, and he's never going to be the guy. His stand-up never improved. He hasn't really shown anything in his last couple of fights to make you go, 'Holy [expletive].' Right now, at this point, he's just another guy. All of the people who had been [expletive] and moaning to me about Jon Fitch when he was fighting for us and were complaining that he was so boring, they all got outraged when we cut him. And it's like the same thing now with Jake. Well, the media didn't even think he was good enough to be in the Top 10.... We have 500 guys under contract, which is a lot more than we really need, and after each show, we really, really need to take a close look at what we do with guys."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Even if I don't find him terribly exciting, the ufc is stupid for cutting him. I still think cutting okami was a much bigger travesty though. I'm going to go on a little tangent here, but Okami had some pretty exciting fights and would be right in the mix, now that anderson isn't holding the title. The thing with okami is that he has boring fights when he versus lesser competition and is able to completely nullify them. When he faces evenly skilled opponents, they are usually very entertaining.

What a stupid comparison. Shields took on all comers and always went for the finish on the ground. Fitch literally sat on top of people until the fight got stood up and would cry about not getting a title shot then says he doesn't know if he wants one anymore because Koscheck was fighting for the belt.

He also had some shit with the video game I forgot what it was but he got temporarily cut for it. Shields never had any issues and beat gsp in two rounds. Also people do not complain about Shields they way they do about Fitch like Dana said. Dana is losing his goddamn mind.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Seriously, fuck everyone who called him boring. Fuck anyone who values entertainment over skill.

It's really unfortunate that clueless assholes dictate the course of the sport as a whole.

When is chael sonnen's pink slip coming? he makes multiple times more than Jake, and is half as skilled.

It's definitely a shame.

You couldn't be farther off base here. First of all, the UFC was founded as a work. There was no way Royce wasn't going to win the first tourney, the guys in that tourney were specifically chosen to lose to him. That's actually documented.

The difference between Royce and Jake is that the sport has progressed. The skills of the fighters have improved. Jake would take Royce's lunch money, without a doubt. If you want to make a comparison to Royce, look no further than Ronda. She's a one-trick pony in the same shallow talent pool that Royce splashed around in.

rh
    So basically, not much has changed. They're releasing guys who pose serious risks to the popular/entertaining guys and still claiming to be the best and having the best fight the best.

I wonder if there is anything that can be done to change this.
    You have to know what you don't know.

Can't say I will miss him or that I found his fights (usually) all that intresting, but I don't agree with the cut. It was a fucked up situation already and now that Dana starts to cut people he thinks are boring after just 1 loss, I just don't see how this will be good for sport. But that's Dana for you, just a scumbag running a multi million sport organization, he doesn't give a shit what his employess or the fans think about him, as long as the company is profitable and he gets his money.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

8. Default

If you take out the Fitch reference, and the unrelated "boring" rant, Dana's statement is very legit reasoning for re-assessing a fighter. While I dont think cutting Shields outright was the right move, Id say maybe re-negotiating his contract would have been in order.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    If you take out the Fitch reference, and the unrelated "boring" rant, Dana's statement is very legit reasoning for re-assessing a fighter. While I dont think cutting Shields outright was the right move, Id say maybe re-negotiating his contract would have been in order.

Him beating Maia was a "HOLY SHIT" moment for me, so if they're keeping Maia......

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Him beating Maia was a "HOLY SHIT" moment for me, so if they're keeping Maia......
    And Maia has lost agian since Shields.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information