Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: jake shields cut from UFC

UFC President Dana White spoke with Yahoo Sport’s Kevin Iole regarding his reasons behind cutting welterweight competitor Jake Shields.

Many MMA fans and pundits alike were in uproar on Monday morning with the announcement that long-time welterweight competitor Jake Shields had been released from the UFC.

The decision was met with some expected backlash from the MMA community, as Shields had gone 4-3-1 during his time with the promotion and was coming off a loss to top competitor Hector Lombard.

To shed some light on the decision, Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports spoke with UFC President Dana White, who revealed that money was certainly a factor that led to his release.

"We look at everything," White said. "Everything. Money has something to do with it. I'd be lying if I said it didn't. But that wasn't the only reason or the main reason. It was a part of the piece of the puzzle as we were doing our evaluation of him."
    White also mentioned that age was another factor in the decision, as Shields is 35 years olds and facing a ‘young man's game.' Dana also believes that the former Strikeforce middleweight champion is now ‘just another guy.'

"Mixed Martial Arts is a young man's game. I like Jake Shields a lot. But let's be honest here: Where was he going in this [welterweight] division of animals we have? He's on the downswing, and he's never going to be the guy. His stand-up never improved. He hasn't really shown anything in his last couple of fights to make you go, 'Holy [expletive].'

Right now, at this point, he's just another guy. "
    How is Jake Shields on the downswing? Because he lost to one elite fighter? He just beat two guys who are/were near contenders in both Woodley and Maia. They are both top 10s.

Also, if Shields is on the downswing, then what about Maia, who lost his last 2? I don't think Maia is even on a downswing and I absolutely love the guy, but one could make the argument, he's on more of a downswing than Shields. Forget Maia, what about Marquardt who is clearly on the downswing. He lost his last 3 and was brutally KOed in his last 2.

If it is money, how come he wasn't even given a chance to re-negotiate much like Brandon Vera was?

Let's not bullshit ourselves, he was cut because his style wasn't appealing to the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Let's not bullshit ourselves, he was cut because his style wasn't appealing to the fans.
    Couldn't agree more.

I've already said my peace on this one... but since Dana has commented, I feel the need to take him to task for one of the statements he made. Because he said the EXACT same thing about Fitch... and Okami...

"These guys are on the downswing of their career".

How does he know that?!?!

Dan Hardy lost 4 in a row! But he wasn't "on the downswing".
    Mark Hunt had a losing record in Pride... how has that turned out???
    Someone already mentioned Diego... who I ACTUALLY believe IS on the downswing... but I haven't heard a peep from Dana... because Diego is willing to risk permanent injury/damage and seems more interested in making money for the UFC than in strategizing and winning fights.
    BJ Penn hasn't had a solid performance in YEARS... he's now COACHING the Ultimate Fighter!
    The list goes on and on...

I'm just confused why Dana White (who I really do have a lot of respect for... I know it's not the popular view... but I like Dana White!) thinks that he has the ability to determine which fighters are "on the downswing"?!

It's arrogant.
    It's annoying.
    And it's OBVIOUSLY a thin disguise for the truth, which is, sadly - The UFC is more concerned with making money than it is with determining who the TRUE best fighters are.

Which is FINE!!! There's nothing wrong with wanting to make money!!!!!!
    Just DON'T try to spin it like that's NOT what you're doing.
    Because it is.
    And it's obvious.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    The UFC doesn't have salary cap to worry about either.
    Ummmm...... ya they do. Do you seriously think they have unlimited funds to play with?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Dirten View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

I've already said my peace on this one... but since Dana has commented, I feel the need to take him to task for one of the statements he made. Because he said the EXACT same thing about Fitch... and Okami...

"These guys are on the downswing of their career".

How does he know that?!?!

Dan Hardy lost 4 in a row! But he wasn't "on the downswing".
    Mark Hunt had a losing record in Pride... how has that turned out???
    Someone already mentioned Diego... who I ACTUALLY believe IS on the downswing... but I haven't heard a peep from Dana... because Diego is willing to risk permanent injury/damage and seems more interested in making money for the UFC than in strategizing and winning fights.
    BJ Penn hasn't had a solid performance in YEARS... he's now COACHING the Ultimate Fighter!
    The list goes on and on...

I'm just confused why Dana White (who I really do have a lot of respect for... I know it's not the popular view... but I like Dana White!) thinks that he has the ability to determine which fighters are "on the downswing"?!

It's arrogant.
    It's annoying.
    And it's OBVIOUSLY a thin disguise for the truth, which is, sadly - The UFC is more concerned with making money than it is with determining who the TRUE best fighters are.

Which is FINE!!! There's nothing wrong with wanting to make money!!!!!!
    Just DON'T try to spin it like that's NOT what you're doing.
    Because it is.
    And it's obvious.

Just my two cents.
    I used to have a love hate relationship about Dana sometimes I really liked him other times he pissed me off. All all in all I was a fan and respected what he did for the sport and seemed to care for the sport and fans. He has completely changed in my opinion and is now a cash hungry, hypocrytical sleesh ball dick head. I hate him with a passion now.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I used to have a love hate relationship about Dana sometimes I really liked him other times he pissed me off. All all in all I was a fan and respected what he did for the sport and seemed to care for the sport and fans. He has completely changed in my opinion and is now a cash hungry, hypocrytical sleesh ball dick head. I hate him with a passion now.
    ^ this the sound of his voice turns me off.

Stop blaming Dana, he is only a mouthpiece for Zuffa. Shit on Dana for his brash demeanor, but Zuffa is the reason you guys are reallt upset with the current state of the UFC.
    Last edited by CtGreat; 04-09-2014 at 12:08 AM.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

...I still like Dana...Most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Stop blaming Dana, he is only a mouthpiece for Zuffa. Shit on Dana for his brash demeanor, but Zuffa is the reason you guys are reallt upset with the current state of the UFC.
    Wait so your saying that Dana really has no say how the UFC got to it's current state ?

Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    Ummmm...... ya they do. Do you seriously think they have unlimited funds to play with?
    Yes, they have a budget.

That they set.

And can go over if they decide it's the right thing to do.

Please tell me you can see the difference between that and a salary cap like they have in the NFL or NBA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    ...I still like Dana...Most of the time.
    Oh, you're the one?

Thread Information