Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Nate Diaz Complains & Dana White Responds

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Good point on media events, but I don't count training camps. That is job preparation, not actually doing the job. I've never traveled for a job, and am admittedly ignorant on whether the employee or the company generally covers the travel expenses. I am not arguing that you have to train virtually full time to be elite. I am arguing that your preparation is not your employers problem.
    Generally speaking. Companies cover travels costs.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I don't know that he changed his mind. He seems to have been misinformed.

Whether that's from his snotrag of a manager--who should not only be fired, but should be laughed out of the industry--or from dana and/or zuffa people is certainly up in the air.

For me it boils down to the heavy handedness of the UFC contract. zuffa can cut fighters at any point--lose one out of 8, but some braindead internet zombies think you're boring? don't let the door hit your ass--but fighters don't have a leg to stand on when they want to go.

And yes, I get it. They signed the contract. Just as I said about Burkman last week: keep your word. Honor your side of the contract, and then get the fuck out.

But you can't convince me that zuffa isn't taking advantage of these guys--particularly the ones who aren't particularly bright to begin with.

from the original interview:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/8/...white-responds

It's already been established that Kogan is a useless little shit, so I'm not going to assume anything here; beyond the fact that Nate is struggling with misinformation. Where he got that misinformation is up for debate, but I can understand being angry if he feels like he's been lied to...

rh
    I'd forgotten about that. It is kind of confusing as to who "they" are based on that quote. If it was Kogan, there would be a back alley beat down Stockton style!
    et noli esse incredulus sed fidelis
    “Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.” –Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bingo View Post

What's embarrassing for him is finding out after he signed the contract that the others are making more money than him.
    Didn;t quote your post agree with a lot of it in this case though one would have to think Nate would have a pretty good idea of where they UFC salary structure was at before renegotiating. He certainly would have known what the rest of his camp was making and should/could have used that as a pretty good benchmark to decide if the offer was fair.

Where he ranks as a LW is not far off Melendez and his pay should have been based off that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Also fuck the whole "bigger dreams and willing to work for it" bullshit. I love MMA, but that's not my dream. My dream is to get married, have kids, and have a house in the woods. Nate Diaz isn't better than me or anyone else because his dream, which he actually doesn't even seem to be following right now because the 60k minimum he agreed to isn't enough, makes him more famous than most. Fame doesn't equal hero.
    MMA is so non-special that you've posted about it thousands of times and it's so non-special that you probably rarely miss a UFC event. Your regular life is just so awesome that you come here to talk about MMA considerably often on an internet forum. Funny how that works. These guys work in the entertainment business where they make money based off of number of viewers, and I just want their to be equity and want the pay to grow as the "sport" does. Yeah, lets just not be concerned about fighter pay and let Dana and Lorenzo keep millions and millions of extra dollars in their pocket so that possible future-prospects see no incentive in pursuing a career in MMA, eventually weening and keeping out many good fighters until we are left with an organization of mediocrity. No thanks. Also, pretty sure nobody said anybody was better than you because they do MMA, but make no mistake about it, that doesn't mean that MMA is a normal job that should be treated as such. It's pretty far from that, as others have been pointing out. And Nate Diaz is one of the top 8 in the world in his weight class imo.

For anybody to say anything about "one night of work" is just laughable. Yeah lets just not consider their grueling 3 month training camps or the fact that they have to be extremely disciplined in their diets leading up to their fights-moreso than other sports. And it's not like they have to pay a bunch for their training camps and all of the high quality foods that a fighter should be eating (And I think most can agree that eating pretty healthy gets pretty damn expensive) lol nope, all that shit is covered by God himself...
    Last edited by dbader08; 04-10-2014 at 01:56 PM.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    MMA is so non-special that you've posted about it thousands of times and it's so non-special that you probably rarely miss a UFC event. Your regular life is just so awesome that you come here to talk about MMA considerably often on an internet forum. Funny how that works. These guys work in the entertainment business where they make money based off of number of viewers, and I just want their to be equity and want the pay to grow as the "sport" does. Yeah, lets just not be concerned about fighter pay and let Dana and Lorenzo keep millions and millions of extra dollars in their pocket so that possible future-prospects see no incentive in pursuing a career in MMA, eventually weening and keeping out many good fighters until we are left with an organization of mediocrity. No thanks. Also, pretty sure nobody said anybody was better than you because they do MMA, but make no mistake about it, that doesn't mean that MMA is a normal job that should be treated as such. It's pretty far from that, as others have been pointing out. And Nate Diaz is one of the top 8 in the world in his weight class imo.

For anybody to say anything about "one night of work" is just laughable. Yeah lets just not consider their grueling 3 month training camps or the fact that they have to be extremely disciplined in their diets leading up to their fights-moreso than other sports. And it's not like they have to pay a bunch for their training camps and all of the high quality foods that a fighter should be eating (And I think most can agree that eating pretty healthy gets pretty damn expensive) lol nope, all that shit is covered by God himself...
    I do love MMA, but that doesn't make the profession any more noble. That isn't a knock on them. I love baseball too, but those guys aren't heroes either. They are skilled athletes. People enjoy watching skilled athletes, but that doesn't mean the athletes are better than them. They just have different goals. Are their goals harder to attain? Yeah probably, although most dreams aren't easy. Have more people failed pursuing the pro sports dream? Yes. Are they better than the average person? He'll no. If you wanna walk around thinking the Diaz brothers are better people than you then good for you, but I sure don't.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Most MMA fighters seem to say the training camp is harder than the fight.. Fight 4 times a year, 8 week training camps each plus recovery time and marketing obligations, sounds like they are just as busy as most professional athletes. Plus, all the other athletes you talk about play team sports. In team sports it is ok to not perform at your best once and a while. In individual sports like mma, that is not as much of an option. Take Diaz for example, people throw the loss to Josh out all the time where as in a team sport, individuals dont get single loses that can have a huge impact on their careers (for the most part).

The fact is, Nate Diaz who is one of the best LW fighters in the world & is willing to fight anyone in his division (and probably in the division above as well). He is not paid enough. There are only a handful of LW fighter who could beat Diaz on any given night, he has been a company fighter since he arrive in the UFC and he has a fan friendly style. Give the kid a raise and a lecture on better business practices
    Why should the UFC pay for training time? Supplement your income if you want to make wages during off time. NFL players have been known to get pay day loans and lining up at check cashing places for years, not to mention they dont get paid during the off-season so either should a fighter. Even if you take into account the week or so before a fight thats still 10k+ for a weeks work, and that isnt including sponsors.

Diaz is not one of the best LW or WW fighters in the world, he has dropped loses to every top 10 fighter he has ever faced. He is a ignorant thug that needs to go back to school before back into the cage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Why should the UFC pay for training time? Supplement your income if you want to make wages during off time. NFL players have been known to get pay day loans and lining up at check cashing places for years, not to mention they dont get paid during the off-season so either should a fighter. Even if you take into account the week or so before a fight thats still 10k+ for a weeks work, and that isnt including sponsors.

Diaz is not one of the best LW or WW fighters in the world, he has dropped loses to every top 10 fighter he has ever faced. He is a ignorant thug that needs to go back to school before back into the cage.
    Well I guess we disagree on how much an elite level fighter should be paid.

As for your claim, "he has dropped loses to every top 10 fighter he has ever faced", I guess you missed his last fight where he knocked Maynard silly or his fight with Cerrone or Jim Miller.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Diaz brothers are good fighters but their IQ is smaller than their shoe size.

Seriously who beyond the age of 13 signs a contract because someone told them "Believe me, just sign it. We can renegotiate it later, but now sign!"?
    How the fuck you can sign something you don't understand??

They want to receive 500,000 per fight. Who the fuck are them to ask that quantity of money??
    What they have done to receive even the half of that money?
    They train hard despite that they do not want to do it?? Well all fighters do that! Or you think that fighters love so much to train like animals every fucking day?
    I bet that a lot of times they hate it and just want to quit.

Nick Diaz is like "I hate fighting, I don't like to get punched. So if you want me to fight, pay me 500,000".
    Dana White should tell him to go fuck himself and fire him.

Imagine that tomorrow I will talk to my boss and tell him "You know what? I hate having to wake up at 7:30 in the morning. I hate working on sundays and saturday nights. I hate our conductor. So I want you to increase my payment 10 times. Otherwise, I am not working anymore!"

He would ask me if I am drunk or what kind of drugs I have been taking.

Diaz Brothers are like those latino Reggaetoneros that compose absolutely garbage "music", however they want to receive millions of dollars for that crap.
    Diaz brothers do not have any solid arguments for asking that money. "Other fighters get more money than me". Well those other fighters are probably champions, or at least, they are highly ranked.
    He should realize aswell that many fighters receive much less money than 60,000.

Dana should fire both of them.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    so that possible future-prospects see no incentive in pursuing a career in MMA
    So future prospects could be look at someone Jones, Cain, Hendricks, Pettis, JDS, Benson, Edgar Melendez, Weidman, Gustaffson, Cormier all of who started out making less then Nate and have out performed him in their division and see that there certainly is a reason to pursue and MMA career.

The only thing a future prospect should take away from the Nate Diaz situation is to not hire any idiot manager and to actually take the time to read a contract and be willing to honor it and be happy about it before signing

i can feel for nate, but being as my job has alot to do with contracts, you got to read what you sign or anyone represenenting you sign. UFC has no obligation to pay him anymore than contracted. sure UFC makes a tonne of money, and is screwing over fighters, but from a business perspective, they are in the right.

if its the case that your manager mislead you, nate could sue him, but im not sure thats the case

UFC has no faith that

Thread Information