Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nate Diaz Complains & Dana White Responds

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    I love the Diaz brother's fights, they're always entertaining. I hate to hear them speak but I love to watch them fight. Im not arguing that Nate isnt worth more money (im not arguing that he is, either). Im just saying that he signed the deal, so he has no room to bitch about it. Period.

^ that is still just an opinion because you have no idea what they bring in and what they put out. So it is speculation at best. Walmarts numbers are public information so that shit can actually be figured out.
    Indeed. He shouldn't have signed it. But better fighter pay is something I will try to find a reason to bitch about, I guess. Not just in Nate's situation but alot of fighters'. Good incentive should only mean that more good fighters will keep rolling in, as well.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    He made 15 to show 15 to win against maynard
    20/20 sucks. 60/60 is not that bad considering he fights maybe 3-4 times a years thats anywhere from 240k - 480k (if he wins all fights).

But I do agree mma fighters get paid shit compared every other sport.

White: Nick Diaz liked Hector Lombard fight, then never called back

UFCONFOX @UFCONFOX
    Dana White said he wanted to make Nick Diaz vs. Hector Lombard. Diaz liked the fight, “but then I never heard from him again."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    They make a lot of money, compared to other athletes. They only fight once every 3,4,5,6 months while more professional athletes are performing a few times a week. If you don't like the wage, get a new job, no one is forcing them to fight.
    Most MMA fighters seem to say the training camp is harder than the fight.. Fight 4 times a year, 8 week training camps each plus recovery time and marketing obligations, sounds like they are just as busy as most professional athletes. Plus, all the other athletes you talk about play team sports. In team sports it is ok to not perform at your best once and a while. In individual sports like mma, that is not as much of an option. Take Diaz for example, people throw the loss to Josh out all the time where as in a team sport, individuals dont get single loses that can have a huge impact on their careers (for the most part).

The fact is, Nate Diaz who is one of the best LW fighters in the world & is willing to fight anyone in his division (and probably in the division above as well). He is not paid enough. There are only a handful of LW fighter who could beat Diaz on any given night, he has been a company fighter since he arrive in the UFC and he has a fan friendly style. Give the kid a raise and a lecture on better business practices

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Not bad money in your opinion? Your not a world class fighter, Nate Diaz is, so there's a slight difference there. He's won TUF, fought for the title, and is constantly beating top 10 fighters, and finishing a good amount of them. Your just some regular person that will probably never see 120k in a year, so of course you think that is some great amount of money to make in one night (not to mention he has to WIN or he gets half of that), but Nate Diaz and many other fighters have bigger dreams than you and have been working towards them for a long time.
    Maybe he should string together more than 3 wins. Something he's only done once since he's signed with the UFC.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Fighters who are getting 6k/6k or 8k/8k aren't even underpaid. That is for one night. No one should get millions for one night, but some do. If you fight 4 times in a year, make 6k to show, and lose every fight, guess what? You still made 24k for 4 nights of work. Not enough to live? Good thing you have 361 other days that year to make more money. Now before I get destroyed by a dozen people saying "but, but, but training is a full time job!", does anybody pay you to be prepared to do your job at a successful level? No? Me neither.

All that being said, if money is being made, and you can get more of it then do it. I think every athlete is overpaid, but billions get put into sports, so generally the athletes get a nice chunk of it. UFC fighters should probably get a bigger chunk, when compared to other major sports, but that's on them as a whole to make it happen. They are not victims.

Also fuck the whole "bigger dreams and willing to work for it" bullshit. I love MMA, but that's not my dream. My dream is to get married, have kids, and have a house in the woods. Nate Diaz isn't better than me or anyone else because his dream, which he actually doesn't even seem to be following right now because the 60k minimum he agreed to isn't enough, makes him more famous than most. Fame doesn't equal hero.

Also I'd like to be a professional fisherman, be Rick Grimes, Dean Winchester, or Batman, and have my own pet rhino that I ride like the one in Donkey Kong. Those are my dreams.
    Last edited by The Donosaur; 04-10-2014 at 01:00 AM.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

7. 04-10-2014, 12:52 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Maybe he should string together more than 3 wins. Something he's only done once since he's signed with the UFC.
    Where would you rank Nate Diaz on the rankings LW list?

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Fighters who are getting 6k/6k or 8k/8k aren't even underpaid. That is for one night. No one should get millions for one night, but some do. If you fight 4 times in a year, make 6k to show, and lose every fight, guess what? You still made 24k for 4 nights of work. Not enough to live? Good thing you have 361 other days that year to make more money. Now before I get destroyed by a dozen people saying "but, but, but training is a full time job!", does anybody pay you to be prepared to do your job at a successful level? No? Me neither.
    You forget to factor in taxes (24k goes down to 18k), manager and trainer costs (18k down to 10k'ish), travel and accommodations for your 'crew' expenses to and from those events (10k down to 7k). Obvious rough estimates but you get the picture.

And to say for one night or 4 nights of work is again wrong. Factor in training camps, media events, travel and recover and I would guess a fight camp & recover runs 2-4 months on average. These guys train like a full time job, it is not like they are sitting on their ass playing Call of Duty while leading up to a fight (unless your Rampage).

Anyways, seems to me, someone who is elite at what they do and are an asset to the company they work for should be compensated better than what Nate and many other fighters appear to be.

Before anyone gets it wrong, I also see fault in Diaz for signing the contract.

9. Default

The average salary for the CFL last year was 83k. Thats for 20 games, not counting playoffs. So thats 4150 a game. Most likely at least 3 or 4 practices between games, daily workouts, and film sessions etc. Once agents and the gov't takes its cut, Id guess they're down to about 2500 a game.

Keep in mind thats Canadian dollars as well, so about 0.90.

Maybe Nate, who is an average fighter, isnt doing so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post

You forget to factor in taxes (24k goes down to 18k), manager and trainer costs (18k down to 10k'ish), travel and accommodations for your 'crew' expenses to and from those events (10k down to 7k). Obvious rough estimates but you get the picture.

And to say for one night or 4 nights of work is again wrong. Factor in training camps, media events, travel and recover and I would guess a fight camp & recover runs 2-4 months on average. These guys train like a full time job, it is not like they are sitting on their ass playing Call of Duty while leading up to a fight (unless your Rampage).

Anyways, seems to me, someone who is elite at what they do and are an asset to the company they work for should be compensated better than what Nate and many other fighters appear to be.

Before anyone gets it wrong, I also see fault in Diaz for signing the contract.
    Good point on media events, but I don't count training camps. That is job preparation, not actually doing the job. I've never traveled for a job, and am admittedly ignorant on whether the employee or the company generally covers the travel expenses. I am not arguing that you have to train virtually full time to be elite. I am arguing that your preparation is not your employers problem.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Probably 10th or 11th

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Thread Information