+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Diaz still 'completely retired,' would rather 'work at WalMart' than fight for c

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    I actually thought it was pretty funny (4 hour erection part) and made me laugh.
    You should check the thread where he got the joke from.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Maybe Bones goes a bit far, but he does have a valid point about inconsistencies here.
    You're welcome to voice any of your opinions in PM's or in site suggestions.
    But you'd be wrong if you assume the site admin don't do anything when someone fighter bashes, simply because you didn't see it happen...not to mention, there is an enormous difference between a single incident of calling a fighter a name and actually stalking them in every thread to talk shit about them and call them a cheater, often multiple times in each thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Pinning someone to the ground, as you put it, is called wrestling. Wrestling is a part of MMA. Are you sure you like MMA? Because I don't understand how a fan of MMA can criticize a strategy, involving a MMA discipline, to win a title.
    it depends on how you see the sport. I look at the sport from the perspective of what it used to be when I started watching it: an actual fight with some loosely agreed-upon rules. By and large, the goal in every contest was to go out and finish the fight. Now, it's devolved into a point-scoring competition, which is unfortunate.

So yes, wrestling is a discipline that has a huge impact on the sport. But wrestling is a means to an end, not an end in and of itself, in my opinion. There is an enormous difference between a grappling match and a wrestling match, and I'm fine with either, in their respective places. But a wrestling match in MMA is much, much, much weaker than a grappling match.

Personally I don't care either way. It's none of my business, but I do get tired of seeing "fighter bashing! Fighter bashing!" Every time somebody gets into some trouble. It would be annoying in the real world too if a fellow employee got written up for being late, so they started waiting at the entrance of the job, trying to out other stragglers.
    I'm tired of the people bringing it up in the main forum, and having no understanding of a) how to report it, if it means so much to them, and b) the difference between an offhand comment and actually making a concerted effort to attack someone's character.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Hendricks was not just laying down doing nothing, he is not Jake Shields.
    Yeah, because Jake just laid there, never went for submissions.

Right...you have a vast and detailed understanding of the sport.
    sadly, it's just not an accurate one.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Riv, I agree with you. I love wrestling, but I don't enjoy 14 minutes of guard with light body shots. My problem though is that too many people blame the wrestler, and not the guy who knew he was fighting a guy with good wrestling, but didn't come prepared to stop it. The UFC signs these elite D1 wrestlers, and then signs a bunch of strikers that haven't wrestled a day in their lives before they started MMA. Then the UFC matches those guys up, and when the wrestler does what got him there, and what is also the smartest way to win, he gets a ton of hate. What did everybody expect would happen? I mean sometimes you get a Hendo or a Hendricks, but for the most part when those guys mess with their successful formula, they hurt their career. Take Koscheck, he would probably have a few less L's on his record if he didn't go through a phase where he thought he was a top striker.
    NWO 4 Lyfe!!!

Riv, I agree with you. I love wrestling, but I don't enjoy 14 minutes of guard with light body shots. My problem though is that too many people blame the wrestler, and not the guy who knew he was fighting a guy with good wrestling, but didn't come prepared to stop it. The UFC signs these elite D1 wrestlers, and then signs a bunch of strikers that haven't wrestled a day in their lives before they started MMA. Then the UFC matches those guys up, and when the wrestler does what got him there, and what is also the smartest way to win, he gets a ton of hate. What did everybody expect would happen? I mean sometimes you get a Hendo or a Hendricks, but for the most part when those guys mess with their successful formula, they hurt their career. Take Koscheck, he would probably have a few less L's on his record if he didn't go through a phase where he thought he was a top striker.
    Word.
    You have to know what you don't know.

he UFC signs these elite D1 wrestlers, and then signs a bunch of strikers that haven't wrestled a day in their lives before they started MMA. Then the UFC matches those guys up, and when the wrestler does what got him there, and what is also the smartest way to win, he gets a ton of hate.
    I'm not hating on anyone, for the record. Of all the people I know, I'm one of the few people who looked forward to watching Fitch fight.

But to take your "what did they expect would happen" logic a step further: What did the wrestler in question expect would happen if he played it safe and won? Sure, he collects a check and moves a step or two up in the hierarchy, but he'd be foolish to expect love and appreciation. Particularly because MMA does such a godawful job of actually educating their audience. When you think of the unwashed masses who get their MMA insight primarily from Rogan, it's actually very sad.

To look at your scenario though: the wrestler isn't expected to improve/adapt outside of their bread and butter, because they can win, but the striker is expected to adapt? I think that's unfortunate. In the best of all possible worlds, we'd see all fighters improving, but obviously we're not going to get that.

But what we do have is an inappropriately strong bias in both rules and scoring for wrestling.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Unwashed masses. Do stupid people not bath? Is that where that idiom comes from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

6. Default

I agree 110 percent about the bias towards wrestling in scoring and rules. I'll take it a step farther and point out that wrestling is _the_ dominant martial art in MMA right now. I feel its the only dicipline that you can use exclusively and still win. A good wrestler with horrible to average striking and very basic BJJ training can go a long way under current MMA rules.

I think the decline of the "sprawl and brawl" style is responsible for much of the anti-wrestling sentiment currently going around. Chuck spoiled us with exciting fights, defensive wrestling and I think an unrealistic standard of what we expect from MMA fights and fighters. I think if we wait it out, styles will eventually change again. Wrestling will find a more equal place in MMA once rules begin getting adjusted, and fighters adjust with them.

Another real big problem with the view of wrestlers are these fighters who cant defend wrestling, so therefore they do their best to discredit it as a skill. "All he did is lay on me for 3(5) rounds." is a terribly inaccurate statement. What really happened is the wrestler picked that fighter up, put them on their back, and held them down against their will for the entire fight. The losing fighter got their game-plan nullified, had no stage to showcase on, and is upset about it. As has been mentioned above and in several threads recently, its not the wrestlers fault people cant defend his style.

Finally, Id rather watch a "wrestlef*cking" then watch a guy backpedal with his hand outstretched and open, avoiding strikes and endangering his opponents eyes. Yes, both are valid strategies, but one of those two tends to lead to a lot more serious injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Unwashed masses. Do stupid people not bath? Is that where that idiom comes from?

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    I think if we wait it out, styles will eventually change again. Wrestling will find a more equal place in MMA once rules begin getting adjusted, and fighters adjust with them.
    I think this will happen because people don't want to pay to watch LNP fights.

Finally, Id rather watch a "wrestlef*cking" then watch a guy backpedal with his hand outstretched and open, avoiding strikes and endangering his opponents eyes. Yes, both are valid strategies, but one of those two tends to lead to a lot more serious injuries.
    Yes.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    He's likely just getting himself paid more, like that time he made himself a shitload of extra money just to attend press conferences. Call him dumb all you want because of how he talks or whatever reasoning you have, but he knows how to get himself PAID, period.

Hopefully they pay the man, I say he beats Lombard in a 5 rounder...and I give him a shot to beat anyone in a 5 rounder now that GSP is gone. Lets be honest, the WW division looked like it got set back about 5 years in that last title fight. That division is way more wide open than it has been in a long time.

That guy is a joke lol he has a super aggressive stance for literally everything he posts about. He's the Wandy of MMA forums. And he just about gets off all over his computer by bashing the Diaz Bros.

It's FRIDAY!!!
    I think we may have all been trolled here. That interview made way too much sense. It couldn't have possibly been Nick? Could it? JK
    et noli esse incredulus sed fidelis
    "magic's just science we don't understand yet." Arthur C. Clarke.

In my opinion, you're never gonna stop wrestling from being dominant, because it is dominant (sorry for the bias), but I have no problem with forcing the action after the takedown. I wouldn't have a problem with a stalling call.
    NWO 4 Lyfe!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information