Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 133

Thread: Nick Diaz still 'completely retired,' would rather 'work at WalMart' than fight for c

  1. #111
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area.
    Posts
    14,028

    Default

    While I really despise how the Diaz brothers carry themselves, there's big money fights with Nick in the UFC regardless of his record, kinda like a shoot-version of Sonnen's gimmick.

    IMO, Lawler/Diaz II just has money written all over it, book that for a five rounder on FOX main event card and you'll probably get a FOTY. I also think they could build one helluva fight between Diaz and Rory with pre-fight smack talk to really build Rory up, but again, if Nick's only after titles, then they're quite limited.

    I also think that while Nick has pretty shoddy TDD, his cardio could very well drain Hendricks, were they ever to be matched up.

    I wouldn't want to do business with him, but there given the loss of GSP(and Condit at WW) and Anderson for the foreseeable future, as a business, Diaz "moves the needle". Matches against Lawler II, Lombard and Rory all seem like good main or co-mains and his style is exciting. I'd just avoid booking him and Woodley AT ALL COSTS.

  2. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,190

    Default

    Didn't he decline a fight with Lombard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.



  3. #113
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    ... but again, if Nick's only after titles, then they're quite limited.

    I also think that while Nick has pretty shoddy TDD, his cardio could very well drain Hendricks, were they ever to be matched up.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Didn't he decline a fight with Lombard?
    Nick is after titles or money. He's made no bones about it for years now: he fights to get paid, not for pleasure, not for fame, not for the thrill. He finds fighting in a cage dehumanizing and disrespectful, but he does it to get paid.

    Nick would be a great way to make Rory into a draw. They could actually count on him not showing up for pressers, and have a second plan--interviews with his cornermen, with his mom, with his brother, whatever. Set the pressers up to give the audience something when Nick doesn't make it...and the novelty of that--plus the UFC's editing--would be something new and potentially crazy enough to work.

    I think the only drawback to paying Nick a half-mil flat rate is that it sets a precedent. You're going to have other fighters pull what Nate just did: "if he gets that, well, then I'm worth this..." kind of thing. But you've got to spend money to make money, and Nick is not only a proven draw, he's enough of a personality that he could showcase other talent. Plus, he never underwhelms in the cage. Even when he's stalking guys who are out to win on points, he's putting on a show. Based on those merits alone, he should be getting paid more than, say, a Michael Bisping. I'd give him a flat rate, no win bonus, but with some incentives [do this presser and you get X, finish the fight and you get Y] and some caveats [fail the drug test and you get z].

    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    Yeah, Bye.

  4. #114
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area.
    Posts
    14,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Nick is after titles or money. He's made no bones about it for years now: he fights to get paid, not for pleasure, not for fame, not for the thrill. He finds fighting in a cage dehumanizing and disrespectful, but he does it to get paid.

    Nick would be a great way to make Rory into a draw. They could actually count on him not showing up for pressers, and have a second plan--interviews with his cornermen, with his mom, with his brother, whatever. Set the pressers up to give the audience something when Nick doesn't make it...and the novelty of that--plus the UFC's editing--would be something new and potentially crazy enough to work.

    I think the only drawback to paying Nick a half-mil flat rate is that it sets a precedent. You're going to have other fighters pull what Nate just did: "if he gets that, well, then I'm worth this..." kind of thing. But you've got to spend money to make money, and Nick is not only a proven draw, he's enough of a personality that he could showcase other talent. Plus, he never underwhelms in the cage. Even when he's stalking guys who are out to win on points, he's putting on a show. Based on those merits alone, he should be getting paid more than, say, a Michael Bisping. I'd give him a flat rate, no win bonus, but with some incentives [do this presser and you get X, finish the fight and you get Y] and some caveats [fail the drug test and you get z].

    rh
    From what I've been hearing, they're terrified of what the buyrate Barao/Dillashaw is going to draw(well below 200K) and with all of these watered down cards, they're looking to resort to booking PPVs that maybe don't follow traditional ranking-style booking, but more pro wrestling style "heat" match ups, where guys will sell the fight HARD. It wouldn't shock me one bit of we got Anderson/Diaz as Anderson's return fight, as IMO as long as ZUFFA is in the PPV business, they'll have to get the buys and currently they aren't there.

  5. Default

    The smarter move would be to _NOT_ give in to the demands of a fading and self-proclaimed unmotivated fighter, and rather turn that press and hype power into developing new stars. Rather then temporarily filling a void, replace GSP by spending the money Nick is trying to demand on sending a publicist over to Jon Jones. Dump that 500k into buying Rory a personality. Screw it, offer Jake Shields that 500k to fight 3 more times or something!! There are so many better options to help falling star power then buying another falling star.

  6. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,675

    Default

    I still don't get this whole Nick Diaz is a proven draw stuff. He has had 3 fights in the UFC since his Strikeforce exit. One was against BJ Penn (legend), one was against GSP (legend and PPV selling machine), and the one that I guess you could credit him as being the star of, against Condit, didn't do particularly well, and you could even credit that partially to the budding GSP-Diaz rivalry. Diaz being a draw, in my opinion, is one of those things that's been said enough times that it's accepted as true now. I have a lot of casual MMA fan friends, and not once have I heard any of them say anything about being excited to see Diaz fight.

    I'm sure somebody will post some PPV numbers that make me look foolish, but I think Nick's stardom is greatly exaggerated.
    USA! USA! USA!


  7. #117
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Posts
    2,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I have a lot of casual MMA fan friends, and not once have I heard any of them say anything about being excited to see Diaz fight.
    Minus the time he fought GSP this is how it is with my casual mma fan friends as well. Only reason they knew who he was is because he was fighting GSP.

  8. #118
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    california
    Posts
    2,973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I still don't get this whole Nick Diaz is a proven draw stuff. He has had 3 fights in the UFC since his Strikeforce exit. One was against BJ Penn (legend), one was against GSP (legend and PPV selling machine), and the one that I guess you could credit him as being the star of, against Condit, didn't do particularly well, and you could even credit that partially to the budding GSP-Diaz rivalry. Diaz being a draw, in my opinion, is one of those things that's been said enough times that it's accepted as true now. I have a lot of casual MMA fan friends, and not once have I heard any of them say anything about being excited to see Diaz fight.

    I'm sure somebody will post some PPV numbers that make me look foolish, but I think Nick's stardom is greatly exaggerated.
    I agree. I think people are confusing the fact that he puts on exciting fights with the idea that that equates to buy rates or "being a draw". I dont think that is the case; just my opinion though.

  9. #119
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    I agree. I think people are confusing the fact that he puts on exciting fights with the idea that that equates to buy rates or "being a draw". I dont think that is the case; just my opinion though.
    He is a bigger draw than a large majority of fighters right now.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

  10. #120
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    california
    Posts
    2,973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    He is a bigger draw than a large majority of fighters right now.
    Where would you put him in terms of drawing power? On a casual fan's scale.

    Id put him in the top 20 (anywhere from #10 - 20 I wouldnt have a problem with) for drawing power for active UFC fighters. Even if he was top 10 in draw power I wouldnt pay him $500k or even $250K per fight. At the very most I would give him $100K to show. This shit is annoying as hell. Dont be a bitch and ask for a release because all of a sudden you dont think you're getting what you're worth. Be a man and finish your obligation/contract and then renegotiate.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •