Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Nick Diaz still 'completely retired,' would rather 'work at WalMart' than fight for c

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    The smarter move would be to _NOT_ give in to the demands of a fading and self-proclaimed unmotivated fighter, and rather turn that press and hype power into developing new stars.
    fading?

What makes you state that he's fading?

I think they can parlay his name into showcasing developing new stars, as I'd mentioned with Rory. Alone, Rory is about as charismatic as a blank piece of paper. But put him with Nick as a foil, and you can have him play a variety of roles.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I still don't get this whole Nick Diaz is a proven draw stuff. He has had 3 fights in the UFC since his Strikeforce exit. One was against BJ Penn (legend), one was against GSP (legend and PPV selling machine), and the one that I guess you could credit him as being the star of, against Condit, didn't do particularly well, and you could even credit that partially to the budding GSP-Diaz rivalry.
    he's a draw...he's not a megastar, by any means, but he's a draw...you're forgetting that the Condit bout was a slapped together affair after Georges got injured. Both fighters had time for a full camp, but there was nothing in the way of promotional power that Zuffa could bring to bear. And that despite the card being watered down without supporting star power, it still did 400k buys...or more than Hendricks/Lawler for the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    Where would you put him in terms of drawing power? On a casual fan's scale.
    While I don't think any of us are unbiased enough to accurately depict a casual fan's perspective, I have several friends who watch TUF and UFN's and buy maybe 2 cards a year. If you gave them a dollar for every UFC fighter they could name, Nick Diaz would be in the first 20, if not the first 10. He's a personality.

Even if he was top 10 in draw power I wouldnt pay him $500k or even $250K per fight. At the very most I would give him $100K to show. This shit is annoying as hell. Dont be a bitch and ask for a release because all of a sudden you dont think you're getting what you're worth. Be a man and finish your obligation/contract and then renegotiate.
    What are you basing your numbers off of?

Do you have any access to books, or his extrapolated drawing power, or even the scale that other fighters are receiving?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    fading?

What makes you state that he's fading?

I think they can parlay his name into showcasing developing new stars, as I'd mentioned with Rory. Alone, Rory is about as charismatic as a blank piece of paper. But put him with Nick as a foil, and you can have him play a variety of roles.

he's a draw...he's not a megastar, by any means, but he's a draw...you're forgetting that the Condit bout was a slapped together affair after Georges got injured. Both fighters had time for a full camp, but there was nothing in the way of promotional power that Zuffa could bring to bear. And that despite the card being watered down without supporting star power, it still did 400k buys...or more than Hendricks/Lawler for the championship.

While I don't think any of us are unbiased enough to accurately depict a casual fan's perspective, I have several friends who watch TUF and UFN's and buy maybe 2 cards a year. If you gave them a dollar for every UFC fighter they could name, Nick Diaz would be in the first 20, if not the first 10. He's a personality.

What are you basing your numbers off of?

Do you have any access to books, or his extrapolated drawing power, or even the scale that other fighters are receiving?

rh
    As I stated in my previous post, it is just my opinion; but something tells me that you already knew that. Anyways, I came to that conclusion based off of what other fighters (top earners) are earning (to the best of my recollection ). I think GSP was making $250K to show and another $250K to win plus PPV points, Brock was making $500K flat with PPV points (i think).

Based off of UFC 160 Cain (HW champ) earned $400k flat and Im assuming PPV points as well. Mark Hunt earned $160K (to my surprise), Im assuming that included $60K for FOTN with JDS. So if they pay Mark Hunt $100k then I would say Nick should be paid a little bit more than that, say $150K.

*GSP made $400K flat with PPV points his last fight.

Nobody knows what "PPV Points" mean. I would guarantee GSP made over a million to show for that fight.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Georges made more than 2 million in his last fight, according to a variety of sources.

Bisping made $425k for his last fight with something like a 250k show and a 125k bonus, against a non-top 10 Belcher. He's been getting that for a while now.

Diaz, for all his faults is better than Bisping.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    Nobody knows what "PPV Points" mean. I would guarantee GSP made over a million to show for that fight.
    I think the rumor is several million dollars per fight.

6. Default

Riv, one win since his return to the UFC, and that over a swollen 155'er is why I say he's fading. Throw in his complete lack of development as a fighter, Id say he is well on the decline.

Dana White on the Diaz brothers: This will be a sad story when you look back on it

“This is one of those situations that is going to be a sad story in a few years when you look back on it,” White told MMAjunkie. “You’re going to say they were two talented kids that had fans and had interest in fighting and they sat out.

“What people don’t realize when you’re in the moment and your time is now, guys don’t realize until it’s over. You will never make that kind of money again for the rest of your life. You should fight as much as you can possibly fight, get as popular as you can ever get and make as much money as you possibly can.”

There are certainly situations where fighters have the leverage to request renegotiation, but in the case of Nate specifically, White believes he is no position to bargain.

“With the Nate Diaz thing, he was in a position where he fought for the title. Then he fought again to put himself back in title contention and got knocked out in that fight,” White said. “Now he wants a new contract and a title shot and all that. It’s just not how this stuff works.

“You can sit out, you can talk all you want, you can tweet all you want and you can do whatever you want. The bus is going to pass you by and you’re going to be sitting there going, ‘What did I do?’ Or maybe they won’t. They’re the kind of kids that, listen, you came from the mean streets and you guys are street guys and all that cool s–t. I get it. But you gotta play the game a little bit.”

Nick’s contract demands came to light in a recent interview with MMA Fighting when the 30-year-old responded to a statement from White saying he offered a fight against Hector Lombard and never heard back.

When asked if he would express his feelings to either Diaz directly, White said he would like to, but it’s a nearly impossible task.

“Of course I would, but you can’t talk to these guys,” White said. “You can’t pick up the phone and call these guys. I talked to Nick, I offered him the Lombard fight, he said he was interested in it, then gone – he disappears. You can’t contact him again. You can’t get a hold of him.”

While Nick and Nate are arguably two of the most popular fighters in their respective weight classes, White isn’t going to push for either fighter to step in the octagon again.

The UFC’s head honcho has explained his stance on fighters having a short window in the sport to compete, and if the Diaz brothers choose not to capitalize on that window, that’s on them.

“Life goes on without anybody,” White said. “Presidents of countries leave, die, move on, whatever. The world moves on without you, man. This is your time to make money. This is your time to do all these things. If you just let it pass you by, that’s your decision. You’re grown men. I heard all the things: ‘We don’t know how to pay our taxes, we don’t know how to buy houses, we don’t know how to …’ Well, you’re grown men. You better figure it out quick because the bus is going to pass you by.”

I hope to soon read an article that says the Diaz' have changed their minds and agree to fight. Would love to see Lawler Diaz 2 and would love to see Nate vs tj grant or another fight with cerrone.

They do need to grow up and realize they only have a short window and they are good at what they do. If they truly want to quit and do something else then so be it, but they are wasting their talents.

Thread Information