Thread: White: Dominick Cruz gets immediate bantamweight title shot upon return from injury

Default White: Dominick Cruz gets immediate bantamweight title shot upon return from injury

White: Dominick Cruz gets immediate UFC bantamweight title shot upon return from groin injury
    But, challenging a "nasty" fighter like Barao in your first fight back after a three-year layoff is something White says Cruz should think twice about.

His words (via Bloody Elbow):

"I literally have heard nothing from Dominick Cruz. I don't know what's going on with him. And I don't think after this much of a layoff it would be right to throw him in there for [a title shot], unless he wants it. He was the champ before all this stuff happened to him, and if he wanted to come right back and fight (Barao), then yeah, I'd do it. But Barao is one of those guys -- man, I just think Barao is so nasty. I'd fight somebody else. If it was me, personally."

For sure, Cruz should have that option, but should definitely take a tune-up fight 1st.

I hope he takes a tune up fight to be hoenst. Either way I'm rooting for Cruz in this one.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Cruz is one of my favorite fighters and I hate what happened to him during his surgery/rehab and I want him to come back strong.. either with a tune-up fight against a top contender headlining a free show or him fighting the Monster Barao on a PPV is fine with me

It'll likely be three years since his fight with Mighty Mouse in October 2011. It would certainly be wise for him to take a fight before challenging for the title. And I'd want to see a healthy Dominick Cruz fight a healthy Renan Barao. But I can't say I would blame him if he took the title shot upon his return.

Interesting. I remember years ago Mir didn't get an immediate shot. I wonder if this is because if GSP comes back they will want to give him an immediate shot.

Granted Cruz getting an immediate shot isn't that crazy compared to lets say Gina getting one but still a warm up fight of any kind would seem like a good idea.

Thread Information