Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fighter passes out on stool between rounds, allowed to continue

Quote Originally Posted by The_Icon View Post
    well...did he win?
    End of the article says he lost a decision.

Another thought is that weight cutting potentially had something to do with it occurring. I'd like to know what his weight was before he made the cut.

2. 04-12-2014, 05:46 PM

Reason
    Fuck you, iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    the judges, the announcers, everybody.

they should all be banned from combat sports forever.

rh
    You're right. And Jon Jones... Fucking Jon Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    That is a little bit of an exaggeration. However this is really fucked up and Riv I can't tell if you are kidding or not.
    Why would he be kidding? that was fucking disgusting!

Worse shit has happened in minor league football and regional promotions of boxing. Top-tier promotions cannot be held to blame for the incompetence of a promotion and a hardly-used commission.

The fault lies with the people that were present that night not with anyone who was not.

This will not set back MMA and anyone who utilizes this incident will only be providing a trifling, non-sensical argument.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    That is a little bit of an exaggeration. However this is really fucked up and Riv I can't tell if you are kidding or not.
    I wasn't kidding.
    Anyone who was there in an official capacity that had anything to do with fighter safety should be banned. If the AC goes and does that, it takes the legs right out of the argument that the MMA-as-cockfighting crowd would love to pull. People make bad decisions all the time...it's the way rational people deal with those bad decisions that is more telling about an organization.

The ref, the cornermen, the judges, everyone should be trained in fighter safety. That should be paramount, far above and beyond entertainment, etc. The announcer has access to a mike, he should have stepped in and called bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    You're right. And Jon Jones... Fucking Jon Jones.
    I'll give Jones a pass on this one.

this one.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Worse shit has happened in minor league football and regional promotions of boxing. Top-tier promotions cannot be held to blame for the incompetence of a promotion and a hardly-used commission.

The fault lies with the people that were present that night not with anyone who was not.

This will not set back MMA and anyone who utilizes this incident will only be providing a trifling, non-sensical argument.
    Minor league football? What even is that?
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Wyoming State Board Issues Statement

Following the event, FanSided reached out to the Wyoming State Board of MMA for comment and this was their response.

Dear Mr. Sanchez,

Thank you for reaching out to the Board. As to your question regarding Mr. Maranhao, he was thoroughly examined by a licensed physician after he fell off his stool between the 4th and 5th round of the RFA event in Cheyenne on April 11. He was also examined by his corner men and the referee. All parties, including Mr.Maranhao, believed and stated unequivocally that Mr. Maranhao was medically safe to and capable of finishing the fight. In fact, he fought well in the last round and lost in a close split decision. He was examined by a licensed physician after the bout as well and again found to have no neurological or other medical issues of concern.

The Wyoming State Board of Mixed Martial Arts stands by our physicians and officials and has the utmost confidence in their ability to assess the medical status of Wyoming contestants. Safety is the Board’s number one priority and all necessary precautions were taken at the April 11 RFA event to ensure that Mr. Maranhao was safe to continue fighting.

Again, thank you for your interest in Wyoming MMA.
    If this was the actual response to the incident, then the commission has lost their goddamn collective mind. You do not let a fighter who passes the fuck out continue.

Edit: Before reading this I had thought that suspensions were in order. If this is the real response, fire everyone and strip the cornermen of their licenses. Bar them from future events .
    Last edited by CA_Gas Bag; 04-13-2014 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Blather

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Gas Bag View Post
    Wyoming State Board Issues Statement

If this was the actual response to the incident, then the commission has lost their goddamn collective mind. You do not let a fighter who passes the fuck out continue.

Edit: Before reading this I had thought that suspensions were in order. If this is the real response, fire everyone and strip the cornermen of their licenses. Bar them from future events .
    Jobs should be lost... all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Well I guess UFC Wyoming will never happen.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Safety is the Board’s number one priority
    Of course! A fighter passes out and they simply let him continue fighting.

To me, the cornermen are the main responsible for this garbage. If they cared at least a little bit about their fighter, they would have immediately said that the fight is over.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information