Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fighter passes out on stool between rounds, allowed to continue

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Of course! A fighter passes out and they simply let him continue fighting.

To me, the cornermen are the main responsible for this garbage. If they cared at least a little bit about their fighter, they would have immediately said that the fight is over.
    I agree that they would have stopped the fight if they gave half a shit about their fighter but there are so many people that could have just as easily stopped the fight. The ref, the promoter, the commissioner, the doctor, and the list goes on. It is absolutely mind blowing to think of how much incompetence was under the same roof at once.

I know the fighter wasn't exactly in the best state of mind at the time but is there any word on what he said, if anything after he fell? Did he even know that he had passed out? Did he tell his cornermen that he was ok, or was he just shoved back out there after they noticed that he still had a pulse?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Dear Mr. Sanchez,

Thank you for reaching out to the Board. As to your question regarding Mr. Maranhao, he was thoroughly examined by a licensed physician after he fell off his stool between the 4th and 5th round of the RFA event in Cheyenne on April 11. He was also examined by his corner men and the referee. All parties, including Mr.Maranhao, believed and stated unequivocally that Mr. Maranhao was medically safe to and capable of finishing the fight. In fact, he fought well in the last round and lost in a close split decision. He was examined by a licensed physician after the bout as well and again found to have no neurological or other medical issues of concern.

The Wyoming State Board of Mixed Martial Arts stands by our physicians and officials and has the utmost confidence in their ability to assess the medical status of Wyoming contestants. Safety is the Board’s number one priority and all necessary precautions were taken at the April 11 RFA event to ensure that Mr. Maranhao was safe to continue fighting.

Again, thank you for your interest in Wyoming MMA.

Lol, if there was nothing wrong with him, why did he pass out?

Is he narcoleptic?

Did they think he was just really tired and wanted to sneak in a quick nap between rounds?

Did he maybe see One Direction in the audience and fucking swoon? Is that it?

I would like to construct a machine gun that fires bullets made of pure Unemployment, and line each and every last one of the schmucks involved in this chocolate-coated cluster of fuck up against a wall and open fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    Lol, if there was nothing wrong with him, why did he pass out?

Is he narcoleptic?

Did they think he was just really tired and wanted to sneak in a quick nap between rounds?

Did he maybe see One Direction in the audience and fucking swoon? Is that it?

I would like to construct a machine gun that fires bullets made of pure Unemployment, and line each and every last one of the schmucks involved in this chocolate-coated cluster of fuck up against a wall and open fire.
    That is the most idiotic statement I've ever seen in regards to a response to a major fuck up (the commission not your post). You'd think it would be an apology but it's basically telling fans they are overreacting and its no big deal.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I'm doing my MA thesis on "Deviance in Sports" right now and when it comes to organizational stuff like this, athletic commissions simply just deny, deny, deny in order to avoid any possible liability, even in the most blatant instances such as this, where they are wrong. As far as the corner's responsibility, I just think back to Greg Jackson's actions while cornering Ryan McGuillvray against Nathan Coy and how he just through McGuillvray out there when he had no purpose being out there and really see how mercenary things can get.

If you look at some of those horrendous Kim Winslow non-stoppages, the Warren/Curran fight and some of the recent ones Herb and Herzog have let go on too long, I don't believe there's ever been an instance where the commission has come out and owned up and taken responsibility for bad reffing/commission work...the way of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I'm doing my MA thesis on "Deviance in Sports" right now and when it comes to organizational stuff like this, athletic commissions simply just deny, deny, deny in order to avoid any possible liability, even in the most blatant instances such as this, where they are wrong. As far as the corner's responsibility, I just think back to Greg Jackson's actions while cornering Ryan McGuillvray against Nathan Coy and how he just through McGuillvray out there when he had no purpose being out there and really see how mercenary things can get.

If you look at some of those horrendous Kim Winslow non-stoppages, the Warren/Curran fight and some of the recent ones Herb and Herzog have let go on too long, I don't believe there's ever been an instance where the commission has come out and owned up and taken responsibility for bad reffing/commission work...the way of the world.
    That is interesting that you are doing your thesis on that because I was thinking doing my doctorate dissertation on something similar.

Very good points raised here. Everyone likes to say that the fighters safety is the number one priority but honestly, sometimes I'm just not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    That is interesting that you are doing your thesis on that because I was thinking doing my doctorate dissertation on something similar.
    It's certainly a burgeoning field of academic research, an inquiry into the corporate deviance and institutional corruption alone would be over 200 pages easy...

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/13...t-out-mma-news
    Junior Maranhao collapsed after the end of the fourth round at RFA 14 main event, and was allowed to continue fighting, but he says there are no reasons for controversy.

Maranhao fought Matt Manzanares for the vacant RFA flyweight title on Friday night at the Cheyenne Ice and Events Center in Cheyenne, Wy., and survived a tight triangle choke for 30 seconds at the end of round four. He fell off his stool when he returned to his corner, but his coaches Jorge Patino and Ericson Cardozo helped him to get back up.

"It probably looked shocking for some, but it was kind of normal to me," Maranhao told MMAFighting.com. "I know that that image is impressive, but I was fine."

Maranhao blames the referee for what happened, but guarantees he was never out.

"I was in that triangle for a long time," he said. "The referee told us to stop but then he let the fight continue, and that was when (Manzanares) locked the triangle. I was dizzy (when the round ended). When I went back to my corner to sit down, I kind of missed the stool and fell with my face on the ground. My corners stood me back up and I was okay. I was dizzy, that’s it. It may look that I was out, but that’s not what happened.

"I came back and I won the fifth round, and I don’t understand the reason for this controversy," he continued. "I know that the image is shocking, but we’ve seen worse things in the UFC, guys that go out and get back. I think that the doctors made the right call. I think I would have gone crazy if they had stopped the fight."

Wyoming State Board issued a statement to FanSided guaranteeing that Maranhao "was thoroughly examined by a licensed physician after he fell off his stool between the 4th and 5th round" and he was "medically safe to and capable of finishing the fight", but the Brazilian seems confused about what happened.

"No, they came to talk to me and do the exams after (the fight)," he said.

Maranhao left the phone for a second to ask his coaches if the doctor really entered the cage to check on him in between rounds.

"They came in between the rounds and asked if I was okay," Maranhao changed his story. "And right after the event, the commission and the doctors did all the exams as well.

"I saw that some people are trying to blame the commission, the promoters or even my coaches, so I’m really upset about it," he continued. "I want to make clear that nothing happened. It’s a mistake (to blame them), and it can hurt us."

Despite all the controversy, Maranhao went the distance and lost the bout via split decision. He thinks he did enough to get his hands raised after the bout and wants to rematch Manzanares.

"Everybody saw how the fifth round was," he said. "I won the fight, no doubt about it, but they took my title because of that thing. I didn’t lose that fight, and I already asked for a rematch. I want to fight him again as soon as possible. I’m ready to fight again and prove that I didn’t lose that fight."

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    It's certainly a burgeoning field of academic research, an inquiry into the corporate deviance and institutional corruption alone would be over 200 pages easy...
    My field is higher education, not sure if I will be going for edd or phd but either way I'm thinking right now on doing it on the NCAA and all the elements involved. Player safety, royalties, academic standards, if the players should get paid or not, etc. I'm only half way done with my masters though so I have time to decide haha.

Thread Information