Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rebney: Characterizing Ronda Rousey as the biggest star in MMA is disrespectful and d

Default Rebney: Characterizing Ronda Rousey as the biggest star in MMA is disrespectful and d

Rebney: Characterizing Ronda Rousey as the biggest star in MMA is disrespectful and disingenuous
    But for UFC President Dana White to call "Rowdy" the biggest star in the entire sport of mixed martial arts (MMA)?

Rebney (via MMA Junkie) isn't buying it:

"I would never want to verbalize disrespect for a fighter ... but to characterize her as the biggest star in MMA is, I believe, a little disrespectful to a lot of fighters who have put in year after year after year in this game. If Ronda fights ‘Cyborg' and she could beat ‘Cyborg,' I think that would be a big statement as to where she is in the game. But to characterize her as the biggest star is a bit disingenuous. I think there are a lot of huge stars in MMA."

It is extremely ridiculous to call her the biggest star in MMA history when there have been people like Fedor, Anderson, GSP, Sakuraba, Bas Rutten and many many others.

She is probably the biggest star in WMMA history, but as for MMA in general, she is not even in the Top 20.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    She is probably the biggest star in WMMA history, but as for MMA in general, she is not even in the Top 100.
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I've said it before, I'll say it again, the First Lady that had adequate levels of both skill and hotness was gonna be championed by Dana. That lady was gonna be the biggest female star in MMA history. Rousey has actually hurt herself, as they gave her a slam dunk shot to be loved. She shat all over that, and the push was altered to be "She's a badass that doesn't care what anyone thinks". That's not what the UFC wanted, and that's not what the fans wanted. Now before anyone hits me with the "she's a badass that doesn't care what anyone thinks", no you're wrong. She wants to be loved, but she has been far too disrespectful, and unpleasant to make it happen. Being mean and terrible for no reason doesn't equal badass. Anybody with enough skill to put together a 5+ fight title streak, would simply need to do their very best GSP impression, and they would be a MUCH bigger star than Rousey could ever dream of. The armbar all day, every day, is a good calling card. I'll give her that much, people enjoy when somebody has a signature move.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

For once I am on the same page as Bjorn.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

6. Default

Equating star status to skill level or rankings isn't accurate. People can be famous/infamous but not the best at what they do. I would say star wise, Ronda is definitely top 5 in MMA, if not 1 or 2. And I will also add that her star status I believe is more centered here in the US, not globally like an Anderson Silva.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Equating star status to skill level or rankings isn't accurate. People can be famous/infamous but not the best at what they do. I would say star wise, Ronda is definitely top 5 in MMA, if not 1 or 2. And I will also add that her star status I believe is more centered here in the US, not globally like an Anderson Silva.
    Interesting, I agree with you about equating star status to skill level, but I actually think the reverse of you from that point forward. I think her skill is her only saving grace, besides the company's relentless promotion of her, as far as her star status is concerned. I'd put Cain, Sonnen, Wandy, Bisping, Bones, GSP & Anderson (if they still count), and probably Hendricks & Weidman as bigger celebs than her. I think if she handled promoting herself, and just being generally likable, better, then she would pass all, but GSP and Anderson (maybe Cain). I think she has did basically everything possible to dim her star power, but she keeps winning, and the UFC has invested a lot in her/the division (same thing in their eyes), so they are gonna keep plastering her face everywhere. Her skill has drove her stardom, while her personality has fought it every step of the way.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

8. Default

I agree they are bigger MMA stars, but Ronda transcends MMA at this point with all the main stream press, movie roles, etc.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I agree, but I think that's forced celebrity, as the UFC has did everything they could to make it happen. I don't think she's accomplished that on her own merit, and her popularity is not what the company would have us to believe.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

I would agree that in mainstream America, she probably is the #1 star right now. Not because she's the best or anything like that, but because she's a hot chick that is pro fighter, and they keep sticking mics in her face.

Being the biggest star really doesn't mean anything. Kate Upton was pretty popular for awhile and she got famous by posting bikini pics on Twitter.
    You know why people have eyes in the front? Because they have to move forward to see the landscape in the distance. If you had eyes in back all you could see is your home town getting farther away; you can't move forward like that. If your eyes are in front what you see in the distance keeps getting closer. That's what lets people move forward.

Thread Information