Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Rebney: Characterizing Ronda Rousey as the biggest star in MMA is disrespectful and d

  1. Default

    I'm not sure if it was initially forced celebrity. Ronda caught fire and then the UFC amped up their marketing of her. If she wasn't popular, she wouldn't be getting offered main stream movie roles, or magazine covers, late night talk shows, etc. Whether it was forced or not, she today is insanely popular.

    I would agree that in mainstream America, she probably is the #1 star right now. Not because she's the best or anything like that, but because she's a hot chick that is pro fighter, and they keep sticking mics in her face.

    Being the biggest star really doesn't mean anything. Kate Upton was pretty popular for awhile and she got famous by posting bikini pics on Twitter.
    Kate Upton is still very popular, having a new movie coming out in a few weeks. It's debatable to say that fame doesn't mean anything. Her fame helps the UFC brand which in turn trickles down to other fighters.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful



  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    california
    Posts
    3,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I've said it before, I'll say it again, the First Lady that had adequate levels of both skill and hotness was gonna be championed by Dana. That lady was gonna be the biggest female star in MMA history. Rousey has actually hurt herself, as they gave her a slam dunk shot to be loved. She shat all over that, and the push was altered to be "She's a badass that doesn't care what anyone thinks". That's not what the UFC wanted, and that's not what the fans wanted. Now before anyone hits me with the "she's a badass that doesn't care what anyone thinks", no you're wrong. She wants to be loved, but she has been far too disrespectful, and unpleasant to make it happen. Being mean and terrible for no reason doesn't equal badass. Anybody with enough skill to put together a 5+ fight title streak, would simply need to do their very best GSP impression, and they would be a MUCH bigger star than Rousey could ever dream of. The armbar all day, every day, is a good calling card. I'll give her that much, people enjoy when somebody has a signature move.
    And what exactly makes you say that? Has she said that is what she wants or are you just assuming that everybody wants to be loved?

  3. Default

    I don't think Ronda set out to play the "bad guy" role, but once the crowd turned from cheers to boos, she adopted that persona. I think Chael has opened the door to other fighters to show them how to play a role, and how that cant affect the fighters bottom line.

    I know gimmicks aren't held in high regard in MMA by the more hardcore fans, but when it provides a fighter with more income possibilities, then I'm all for it.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful



  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    It's debatable to say that fame doesn't mean anything.
    That was the wrong way for me to communicate my point.

    Fame has no meaning other than being a means to an end. It's also not something that is earned. In this day and age, fame is something that is bestowed by the media - whether you want it or not.

    At least, that's my perspective.

    It's seems even more so with athletes, being the best doesn't make you famous, running your mouth does or getting into some kind of scandal.

    You see that even more with mainstream sports like NFL & NBA. Good players are popular, but the most popular players are popular because of other things outside of their sport, or at least it seems that way to me.

    Look at Johnny Manziel, he plays good ball, but the majority of the talk you hear about him is about his behavior (and for some reason people keep saying he plays like a black quarterback whatever that means).
    You know why people have eyes in the front? Because they have to move forward to see the landscape in the distance. If you had eyes in back all you could see is your home town getting farther away; you can't move forward like that. If your eyes are in front what you see in the distance keeps getting closer. That's what lets people move forward.


  5. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    But in any walk of life that has entertainment attached to it, the bad will always outsell the good. That's just the nature of the beast.
    I agree, that's why I believe time and again, you'll hear more about Ronda than anyone else at least stateside. I imagine in Canada GSP is a pretty big celebrity, same with Anderson in Brazil, Fedor in Russia, etc.
    You know why people have eyes in the front? Because they have to move forward to see the landscape in the distance. If you had eyes in back all you could see is your home town getting farther away; you can't move forward like that. If your eyes are in front what you see in the distance keeps getting closer. That's what lets people move forward.

  6. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    It is extremely ridiculous to call her the biggest star in MMA history when there have been people like Fedor, Anderson, GSP, Sakuraba, Bas Rutten and many many others.

    She is probably the biggest star in WMMA history, but as for MMA in general, she is not even in the Top 20.
    While I do agree with you for the most part, Fedor, Sak, and Bas are nowhere near the biggest stars of MMA. All excellent fighters, but in terms of sheer star power, nowhere close.

  7. #18
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    4,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    While I do agree with you for the most part, Fedor, Sak, and Bas are nowhere near the biggest stars of MMA. All excellent fighters, but in terms of sheer star power, nowhere close.
    Maybe not in the US but in other parts of the world they're freaking huge, remember American isn't the centre of the universe lol

  8. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Maybe not in the US but in other parts of the world they're freaking huge, remember American isn't the centre of the universe lol
    I didnt say America was, I'm also Canadian btw. If you look at the number of fans who watched mma in the hayday of the fighters mentioned above, its nowhere near the number of fans who watch today. Theres no doubt they are popular but in terms on shear exposure, number of people who know their names, etc, they are not even close.

  9. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Maybe not in the US but in other parts of the world they're freaking huge, remember American isn't the centre of the universe lol
    There's other stuff in the universe?

    USA! USA! USA!
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •