+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tim Kennedy thinks he broke hand in TUF Nations Finale win over Michael Bisping

Default Tim Kennedy thinks he broke hand in TUF Nations Finale win over Michael Bisping

Tim Kennedy thinks he broke hand in TUF Nations Finale win over Michael Bisping

Kennedy (18-4 MMA, 3-0 UFC) topped Bisping (24-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC) in the main event of the TUF Nations Finale, which took place at Colisee Pepsi in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. The main card aired on FOX Sports 1.

“I think I broke my hand in the first round. I don’t want to lie to you, so I’ll just be honest. I’ll get an x-ray (Thursday),” Kennedy said at the post-event news conference.

Kennedy picked up a pair of 49-46 scores and a 50-45 from one judge. He used a takedown-heavy attack to score points against the Season 3 “Ultimate Fighter” winner and mounted him on several occasions.

But after a dominant first round, Kennedy seemed to slow in the second. He owed part of that to his hand injury.

“I kind of had to stop being a p—y in the second round,” he said. “I was like, ‘Ahh, my right hand really hurts. Screw it, I’ll just hit him with it.’ The second round was just me not being a p—y and getting my s—t together and started hitting him again. We’ll find out tomorrow.”

Kennedy said the game plan was to let Bisping push forward, then use that momentum to take him to the canvas easier. But in the second, when he appeared to hit a lull, he let that game plan stray slightly.

“I wanted him to start moving forward,” Kennedy said. “I was moving forward the entire first round, hitting takedowns and hitting him with big punches. It’s a lot easier to hit a takedown against a guy that’s moving toward you because you don’t have to close the distance. So the rhythm change was to try to lure him forward. What (my coaches) kept screaming at me was that I kept moving backward, which is not what you’re supposed to do. You let them start moving forward and then you explode forward.”

Tim Kennedy may have broken hand during Bisping win, wants Mark Munoz next
    "One of my friends was spit on, another one of my friends was illegally kneed on the ground, and I wanted to get a little revenge, so I guess that's a little positive," Kennedy reluctantly said at Wednesday's post-fight press conference.

"But I have a long road to making sure I execute what I'm supposed to do in a fight, which is finish fights. I'm a finisher. I have one of the highest finishing rates in the UFC. Michael Bisping is super tough, but I should've been able to finish him. I'd get to where I supposed to be, like side control, but then I'd stop there and not do damage. I did all this work to get to the ground, to get to side control, pass his guard, and then I'd hang out there."

While Bisping struggled to find his rhythm throughout the five-round contest, Kennedy scored takedowns early and often, controlling the distance and even outstriking Bisping by a margin of 76 to 53, according to FightMetric.

The win ultimately proved to be the biggest of Kennedy's career, as despite Bisping's year-long layoff due to injury, the polarizing Brit remains a top-5 ranked foe and one the division's marquee names.

Kennedy, however, spared little time to rest of his laurels. Less than an hour after his triumph, the 34-year-old was already thinking about what was next.

"Mark Munoz, (Gegard) Mousasi, they're right around me. They have a fight coming up. That's a big fight," Kennedy said. "Unfortunately both of my Strikeforce guys (Luke Rockhold and Jacare Souza) are in the same kind of rankings [situation] as I am.

"I already fought both of them. I want to keep fighting marquee UFC guys. So Mark Munoz, if he beats Mousasi, that'd be a great fight for me. I don't know. I'm going to start calling guys out on Twitter in about five days."

Hope is hand is not broken. A fight with Munoz or Gegard would be right on. Jacare would be a tough resell b/c he can't do what he did to Bisping to Jacare. I like Kennedy. He could also take on the winner of dollaway and carmont, but I am sure he wants someone higher ranked.

Was actually going for Bisping but that was an awesome fight by Kennedy. The way he wore Bisping down was impressive.

By UFC standards, they should just cut Bisping. Just another over paid guy who cant beat top contenders and will never win the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    By UFC standards, they should just cut Bisping. Just another over paid guy who cant beat top contenders and will never win the belt.

Don't forget to add in that he doesn't go for the finish and isn't an exciting fighter to.

Seriously though for what he is making if he loses a couple more in a row I could see the UFC cutting him

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Don't forget to add in that he doesn't go for the finish and isn't an exciting fighter to.

Seriously though for what he is making if he loses a couple more in a row I could see the UFC cutting him
    Why wait?

His biggest win is what.. Brian Stann? Sexyama? Leben? And those were all decisions.

Why wait?

His biggest win is what.. Brian Stann? Sexyama? Leben? And those were all decisions.
    Cause his name value hasn't depreciated enough yet that he wouldn't be considered a big pick up for Bellator.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Cause his name value hasn't depreciated enough yet that he wouldn't be considered a big pick up for Bellator.

Speaking of Bellator..

Did you see in last nights TUF fights to get into the house was a previous Bellator champ, he got his ass kicked and Dana loved every second of it. Talking shit about Bellator fighters not being able to even make it into the TUF house.

Speaking of Bellator..

Did you see in last nights TUF fights to get into the house was a previous Bellator champ, he got his ass kicked and Dana loved every second of it. Talking shit about Bellator fighters not being able to even make it into the TUF house.
    Who was it Lyman Good?

Speaking of Bellator..

Yea I saw that shit, thought it was kinda douchey
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

11. 04-17-2014, 02:14 PM

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information