Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dana White talks about UFC on Fox 11's Main Event - "He fought safe."

1. Default Dana White talks about UFC on Fox 11's Main Event - "He fought safe."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/20...d-it-safe-news

UFC on FOX 11 took place on Saturday night and featured a heavyweight main event between Fabricio Werdum and Travis Browne. While "Hapa" was a heavy favourite heading into the fight, it would be Werdum who'd step up and take control of the bout over the five rounds, and put on arguably his best performance to date inside the octagon.

Alas, it appears UFC President Dana White sees it differently.

Although the Brazilian has now emerged as a clear contender for Cain Velasquez's heavyweight title, White stated at the post-fight press conference that Werdum chose to play it safe against Browne, who seemingly fought the majority of the fight with a broken hand and injured rib. He was also highly complimentary about Browne's toughness and durability for lasting the entire five rounds.

"He fought a safe fight to guarantee the [title shot]. I think he could have finished Travis, but Travis is a tough guy. They think he broke his rib in the first round. That would explain it. He definitely has a broken hand."
    Werdum certainly appeared more aggressive in the earlier stages of the fight, as he attacked Browne with vicious leg kicks and even became the first fighter to take ‘Hapa' to the ground. He would appear to slow down in the fourth round, but it was ultimately a dominant performance.

While the heavyweight title fight between Velasquez and Werdum is all but signed, there have been no statements regarding a potential date or venue for the bout. With the UFC setting its sights on Mexico in the near future, it is likely they will want to feature that fight on the card.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

He was trying pretty hard to finish imo. Dana is such a tool.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Dana wannabe tough guy.

Werdum was gassing as well. He was trying to finish but not as hard as he could have but definitely wasn't playing it safe. Dana is a fuckin moron. Browne may have broke his hand, that's Brownes fault swinging for the fences because he had nothing for Werdum. Especially the rib injury, he let Werdum kick him in the body and smack his body like it did nothing, now we're here with this crying about a rib injury. Too bad, stop trying to show off so much when you ain't even doing anything in the fight

Dana expects a finish every time he books a heavyweight main event, so he can add it to the title fight highlight reel. Anything less is a disappointment to him. I could type out a big rant about how moronic the "playing it safe" argument has become, but I'm not gonna bother.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Browne is durable as fuck. Pretty disappointing fight though. I was really expecting Hapa to deliver another good KO

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Werdum did very well. Travis is a very dangerous fighter and Werdum outstruck him pretty well.
    It was not the most exciting fight obviously but it was a very good performance by Werdum. Dana is full of shit as usual.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I'd have to agree. The last two rounds Werdum was just throwing one or two shots and then backed out. Certainly a good game plan but definitely played it safe

Come on, Dana was right here. Werdum knew the score and coasted for the last 2 rounds at least. He was hitting Travis with just about any shot and let off the gas even though he knew we wasnt in danger. Fight properly but I think he could of got the finish, for sure could of scored a TD and worked a sub.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Ok, I'll do it. If you know you've got the promotion, then why take any unnecessary chances. He isn't gonna get two title fights by finishing Browne. I'm not saying if he let up or not. I'm saying there was no reason to take any risk what so ever. I get pissy when a wrestler gets bashed for being dominate, but it applies here too. If Browne would have made the first few rounds competitive, or at least not obvious, then Werdum never would have had the option to ease up. I'm not actually blaming Browne for anything. He is tough as nails, and I enjoyed the fight (except for I wanted Browne to win). What I'm trying to say is, stop blaming the winner for a boring fight. It's always the losers fault that he didn't hold up his end.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Thread Information