Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trainer: Cain Velasquez not afraid to go to the ground against Fabricio Werdum

RD 1 TKO for Cain. I don't see Werdum getting the upset like he did with Fedor. Wouldn't that be something if the same thing happens though..

Werdum with victories over Cain and Fedor?

I can't even fuckin fathom that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    RD 1 TKO for Cain. I don't see Werdum getting the upset like he did with Fedor. Wouldn't that be something if the same thing happens though..
    I think if Cain actually goes to the mat with Werdum, Fabricio handles him. I think it's more likely than not, actually.

Cain's best bet is to try to capitalize as early as possible and look for a KO or to land enough body shots to impact Werdum's endurance. Press him against the cage and work dirty boxing. If Cain goes to the ground or he stays at striking distance, he's at a disadvantage. I think Velasquez is still a favorite, but if I were a huge fan of his, I'd be hoping this is smoke and mirrors from his trainer.

The comment that Fabricio's striking is "night and day" from where it was struck me as odd as well. Werdum's striking has always been underrated, from the time that Gonzaga was supposed to school him--and didn't--onward. He's the most underrated striker in the HW division, in my opinion. If he solves that come-in-too-tentative nonsense he starts with, Cain is in for a long night.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Cain wins the fight anywhere. I think he can handle werdum on the ground with gnp and avoid the sub. On the feet I think he's slightly better because of his kicks, he has really nice may Thai. Werdum has improved tremendously but I think Cain is just better. I also don't think werdum has any chance of getting a take down.

The comment that Fabricio's striking is "night and day" from where it was struck me as odd as well. Werdum's striking has always been underrated, from the time that Gonzaga was supposed to school him--and didn't--onward. He's the most underrated striker in the HW division, in my opinion. If he solves that come-in-too-tentative nonsense he starts with, Cain is in for a long night.
    Reading my mind?

Cain wins the fight anywhere. I think he can handle werdum on the ground with gnp and avoid the sub. On the feet I think he's slightly better because of his kicks, he has really nice may Thai. Werdum has improved tremendously but I think Cain is just better. I also don't think werdum has any chance of getting a take down.
    I'm not sure he has to get a takedown at all. Cain will take care of that IF Werdum is able to keep up the pace on the feet. Werdum comes out tentatively and Cain comes out and sets a blistering pace.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

6. Default

Cain Velasquez Won’t Rush Rehab for Mexico, but Appears Ready to Coach First TUF Latin America
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/cain-velasq...-latin-america

After Fabricio Werdum dominated Travis Browne at UFC on FOX 11 last weekend, he is guaranteed the next shot at UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez when the champ returns from shoulder surgery.

The only question now is when that will be.

Velasquez’s coach, Javier Mendez, told UFC Tonight that his fighter had his right hand cleared for training a couple weeks ago by his doctor. The left hand, however, has yet to be cleared, and that’s the side that Velasquez had shoulder surgery.

Mendez also stressed that, while the hope is to have Velasquez and Werdum fight in Mexico City in November, Velasquez will not rush his rehabilitation. He will only fight when he is 100-percent recovered.

November is still quite a ways off, so it’s not yet time to throw up any red flags. The situation is still in “wait and see” mode.

What does appear more than likely is Velasquez and Werdum coaching opposite one another on the upcoming The Ultimate Fighter Latin America reality series.

Mendez also told UFC Tonight that Velasquez has been approached by the UFC about coaching the inaugural season of TUF Latin America, and that they are expected to begin filming in May.

Velasquez wasn’t told if he would be coaching opposite Werdum, but it would seem the likely choice, and Werdum has talked about the scenario as if it were already a done deal.

“It’s going to be a unique experience. I’ve been [on TUF] twice: once as Wanderlei Silva’s jiu-jitsu coach, and once as a head coach against ‘Minotauro’ [Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira],” Werdum told Sherdog.com recently. “Now, it’s going to be a lot different, since it’s not going to take place in a single country, but in almost every country in Latin America.”
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post

Thats why it is probably the only possible outcome.

Life is weird like that....

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post

But Werdum is just a can who can't hack it in the UFC according to Dana...I wihs some reporter or something had the balls to call him out on that at a press conference.

And in case anybody doesn't believe me here is a link and quote him reacting to the Fedor loss.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/7/1/...hite-talks-his

I think they’re all a bunch of losers. Here’s the thing. And everybody knows how long I’ve been saying this and everybody probably thought I was just saying it because I couldn’t come to terms with him. I don’t believe a guy who hasn’t fought anybody since 2005 should be considered one of the best fighters in the world. Yes, he was one of the best in what he accomplished back in the old days, but he hasn’t been fighting anybody recently. And now he just lost to a guy who couldn’t make it in the UFC. And the other thing, they didn’t sell any tickets to that fight. They did under a million-dollar gate, I don’t care what they say publicly, they did under a million-dollar gate. And they did 400 thousand viewers on television. So what that tells me is, nobody cares. The reality is the media, and a few guys on the Internet have pumped this guy up. I can’t believe nobody sees through the B.S.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 04-24-2014 at 12:53 AM.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Report: Injuries, commitment to TUF: 'Latin America' may keep Cain Velasquez benched until 2015
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/4/24/56...nched-2015-mma
    Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) could go a full year -- maybe more -- without a heavyweight title fight.

That's because reigning division kingpin Cain Velasquez, who hasn't defended his crown since a UFC 166 drubbing against Junior dos Santos, is still recovering from surgery and has no intention of rushing back to the fight game, despite the fact he's already been paired off with a new division number one contender.

Thanks to this.

In addition, Velasquez is being eyed as a possible coach for The Ultimate Fighter (TUF): "Latin America," where he would join Fabricio Werdum on the combat sports reality show this May in Las Vegas, Nevada, delaying their heavyweight hoedown until November.

Or not, according to Ariel Helwani on UFC Tonight:

"I spoke to his wrestling coach and he told me that Cain's doctor cleared him to use his right hand in training two weeks ago, but he's not sure if Cain's ready to use the left hand yet. He's not sure if he'll be ready by November. He said he won't rush into the fight that's targeted for then. He won't fight until he's 100 percent. There's talk of Cain coaching The Ultimate Fighter Latin America, and the UFC has approached him about it, and they could film it in May in Las Vegas. It would be a likely scenario that he'd coach against Werdum now."

Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty View Post
    I love that shit. The guy's a stud on the ground? Fuck it, dive right into that guard and see what he's made of. I nearly lost my shit when Gil Melendez got right in there with Aoki. I understand it isn't the most intelligent way to go about fighting, but man is it exciting. Love that mindset.
    missed this the first time through the thread.

But yes, absolutely. THAT is exactly what people are talking about when they say the heart of a champion.

but
    "I spoke to his wrestling coach and he told me that Cain's doctor cleared him to use his right hand in training two weeks ago, but he's not sure if Cain's ready to use the left hand yet. He's not sure if he'll be ready by November. He said he won't rush into the fight that's targeted for then. He won't fight until he's 100 percent. There's talk of Cain coaching The Ultimate Fighter Latin America, and the UFC has approached him about it, and they could film it in May in Las Vegas. It would be a likely scenario that he'd coach against Werdum now."
    I really, really hope this doesn't turn into another situation like Cruz. Cain gets hurt a LOT, and if he's not going to fight till he's 100%, we could be in for a long wait.

I really wish there was a policy where champs needed to defend within, say, 7-8 months, or they get stripped. I could even see it going a year, although I disagree with it. But anything over a year is bullshit.

And to postpone it further for that utter crap reality show?

more bullshit.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information