+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones: 'No interest' in fighting Cain Velasquez

Hybrid View

Default Jones: 'No interest' in fighting Cain Velasquez

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ain-Velasquez/

During a media conference call ahead of this weekend's UFC 172: Jones vs. Teixeira, UFC light heavyweight Jon Jones said said he was no longer entertaining the idea of a superfight with UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.

Jones had previously described a move to heavyweight as being inevitable, citing 2014 as the year.

"I have no interest at this point," said Jones as transcribed by Bleacher Report. "There’s a lot of talent to test myself against."

That talent includes Teixeira, Alexander Gustafsson who fights the winner Saturday, Olympian Daniel Cormier, and Phil Davis.

"People are interested in rematch [with Gustafsson]," said Jones. "Phil Davis said he’s going to crumble me like a cookie. There’s a lot of challenges, and I’m ready to meet them."

uhhh who would want to face Cain?? Jones doesn't have 1 hit KO power (which is the only way someone beats Cain) and does have plenty of challengers who can beat him or challenge him so that fight doesn't make sense right now??

Good call Jon!

The problem is that he does not want to face Gustafsson or Cormier either.
    He is absolutely overlooking Teixeira, and from what we have seen, it is hard to imagine Davis beating him.

Jones is a little bit like Rousey. They definitely want to avoid the toughest opponents there are.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Hes not ducking Gustafsson. Hes fighting him next, after already beating him once. Close fight =/= immediate rematch. Cormier has 1 fight at LHW against a guy who isnt even in the top 50 rankings. How can one duck another fighter who hasnt done shit in their division?

He is absolutely overlooking Teixeira, and from what we have seen, it is hard to imagine Davis beating him.
    No hes not, everyone else - aka the fans, media, ufc, etc are over looking teixeira not jones. Jones is the one talking about this fight - talking Tex's strengths and how he (jones) has improved in areas etc, while at the same time having to answer all the questions THE MEDIA asks him about guys hes not fighting.

Jones is a little bit like Rousey. They definitely want to avoid the toughest opponents there are.
    Yeah because Jones is avoiding the toughest opponents. I mean the way he cleaned out an entire LHW division that was once considered the deepest division defending the belt more often then any champion sure screams avoiding the toughest opponets........

Whatcha gonna do Brother, when the New World Order destroys you?

Yes because they both hand pick their opponents don't they?

Some of your posts are stupid, Jones has cleared out his division and Rousey is about to clear out hers, both want to make as much $$$'s as possible, a loss to Cain for Jones could be career ending.

Ronda isn't ducking anyone in her division either, if the reference is towards Cyborg then she is in a different weight class, end of argument.

Were you calling out BJ Penn for ducking GSP when he dropped down to lightweight?

It's borderline fighter bashing because you hate them, does my brains in when people do that!
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Oscar Wilde

There is a huge difference though because Jones took on all comers, took a # 1 contender fight on short notice(I'm not sure it was announced #1 contender until after the fight though) and dominated all of the top guys in the world at LHW when he first became champ. Yes now he is seemingly pretty vocal about not wanting to fight certain guys but that is his opinion.

It is not the same as Ronda who doesn't want to fight people when she has never faced the best fighters at her weight Holly, Gina and Cyborg. Now she might fight GIna who hasn't fought in 5 years which is not the same as Jones smashing all of the top guys in their prime.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    There is a huge difference though because Jones took on all comers, took a # 1 contender fight on short notice(I'm not sure it was announced #1 contender until after the fight though) and dominated all of the top guys in the world at LHW when he first became champ. Yes now he is seemingly pretty vocal about not wanting to fight certain guys but that is his opinion.

It is not the same as Ronda who doesn't want to fight people when she has never faced the best fighters at her weight Holly, Gina and Cyborg. Now she might fight GIna who hasn't fought in 5 years which is not the same as Jones smashing all of the top guys in their prime.
    You just named 3 people that aren't even in the UFC, let alone Rousey's division...

Jones is smart to stay away from the HW division. He has a distinct advantage over most of the division, with the exception of a guy who took him to the limit and as much as everyone says he has cleared out the LHW division, he has not. He still has Tex, Cormier and the rematch with Goose before he can even really claim to have done so. If he moves up he will lose most of that advantage and lets be honest, Cain would more than likely dominate Jones.

Saying Rousey is ducking fighters is silly to me also. Name one female at 135 that is currently on the UFC roster that she has "ducked" or even avoided...I'll wait...
    Believe in the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Icon View Post
    You just named 3 people that aren't even in the UFC, let alone Rousey's division...

Jones is smart to stay away from the HW division. He has a distinct advantage over most of the division, with the exception of a guy who took him to the limit and as much as everyone says he has cleared out the LHW division, he has not. He still has Tex, Cormier and the rematch with Goose before he can even really claim to have done so. If he moves up he will lose most of that advantage and lets be honest, Cain would more than likely dominate Jones.

Saying Rousey is ducking fighters is silly to me also. Name one female at 135 that is currently on the UFC roster that she has "ducked" or even avoided...I'll wait...
    Jones did clear out the LHW division when it was considered to be the deepest division in the UFC, minus Hendo, I'm still bummed I never got to see that fight. But weren't they scheduled to fight at one point and someone got injured? I honestly can't remember.

As for Rousey, I'm not a fan of hers but I agree with her not ducking anyone. I would tell Cyborg to come down to 135 to fight also. She would have to lose some unnatural muscle mass. Carano would not. Unfortunately she would have to lose some of her sexy body, but she'd still be hot as hell. God, I'm a terrible WMMA fan.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Icon View Post

What the fuck are you talking about? When did I say she ducked anybody? Plus the point I was making is that while Jones talks about who he he doesn't want to face after he has already beaten the best in the world. Ronda has not beaten the best in the world by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks for waiting...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information