Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones: 'No interest' in fighting Cain Velasquez

Default Jones: 'No interest' in fighting Cain Velasquez

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ain-Velasquez/

During a media conference call ahead of this weekend's UFC 172: Jones vs. Teixeira, UFC light heavyweight Jon Jones said said he was no longer entertaining the idea of a superfight with UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.

Jones had previously described a move to heavyweight as being inevitable, citing 2014 as the year.

"I have no interest at this point," said Jones as transcribed by Bleacher Report. "There’s a lot of talent to test myself against."

That talent includes Teixeira, Alexander Gustafsson who fights the winner Saturday, Olympian Daniel Cormier, and Phil Davis.

"People are interested in rematch [with Gustafsson]," said Jones. "Phil Davis said he’s going to crumble me like a cookie. There’s a lot of challenges, and I’m ready to meet them."

uhhh who would want to face Cain?? Jones doesn't have 1 hit KO power (which is the only way someone beats Cain) and does have plenty of challengers who can beat him or challenge him so that fight doesn't make sense right now??

Good call Jon!

The problem is that he does not want to face Gustafsson or Cormier either.
    He is absolutely overlooking Teixeira, and from what we have seen, it is hard to imagine Davis beating him.

Jones is a little bit like Rousey. They definitely want to avoid the toughest opponents there are.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Jones should just avoid the heavyweight division all together.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    The problem is that he does not want to face Gustafsson or Cormier either.
    Hes not ducking Gustafsson. Hes fighting him next, after already beating him once. Close fight =/= immediate rematch. Cormier has 1 fight at LHW against a guy who isnt even in the top 50 rankings. How can one duck another fighter who hasnt done shit in their division?

He is absolutely overlooking Teixeira, and from what we have seen, it is hard to imagine Davis beating him.
    No hes not, everyone else - aka the fans, media, ufc, etc are over looking teixeira not jones. Jones is the one talking about this fight - talking Tex's strengths and how he (jones) has improved in areas etc, while at the same time having to answer all the questions THE MEDIA asks him about guys hes not fighting.

Jones is a little bit like Rousey. They definitely want to avoid the toughest opponents there are.
    Yeah because Jones is avoiding the toughest opponents. I mean the way he cleaned out an entire LHW division that was once considered the deepest division defending the belt more often then any champion sure screams avoiding the toughest opponets........

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Yes because they both hand pick their opponents don't they?

Some of your posts are stupid, Jones has cleared out his division and Rousey is about to clear out hers, both want to make as much $$$'s as possible, a loss to Cain for Jones could be career ending.

Ronda isn't ducking anyone in her division either, if the reference is towards Cyborg then she is in a different weight class, end of argument.

Were you calling out BJ Penn for ducking GSP when he dropped down to lightweight?

It's borderline fighter bashing because you hate them, does my brains in when people do that!
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Oscar Wilde

Yea of course he'd want to stay away. He got a little taste of fighting someone his height and didn't like it one bit, that's why he's been crying so much about the Gus rematch too.

I say he'll jump to middleweight before he goes to heavyweight after his first experience with someone his height.

This is a smart move for Jones. I think there are 3 or 4 guys who are 50/50 to beat him at HW, and think that Cain would beat him 8 or 9 times out of 10. If he's smart, he'd stay at LHW, make some crappy movies and retire on top, particularly if his heart isn't in it.

Then again, when I listen to him talk, I don't feel he's particularly smart.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Hes not ducking Gustafsson.
    Don't put words in his mouth, he didn't say he was ducking Goose. He said Jones doesn't want to fight him. And Jones clearly doesn't want to fight him.

Hes fighting him next, after already beating him once. Close fight =/= immediate rematch.
    So if Goose had gotten the nod--the way many fighters and fans feel he should/could have--would you not have wanted an immediate rematch for your boy Jones?

zuffa has made a practice of handing out immediate rematches for fights that weren't as close as Goose/Jones.

Cormier has 1 fight at LHW against a guy who isnt even in the top 50 rankings. How can one duck another fighter who hasnt done shit in their division?
    Well, with one win at 205, Cormier has done more than sonnen did, and Jones was entirely comfortable taking that fight.
    Again, nobody is using the "duck" word but you.

But ask yourself: Does Jones want to fight Cormier? Has he done anything, said anything that would lead you to any conclusion even close to him wanting to fight Cormier?

If you were a champion as gifted and skilled as Jones, if some people considered you to be the best LHW ever, or even the current p4p best, wouldn't you want to silence some punk that was talking smack about you?

Yeah because Jones is avoiding the toughest opponents. I mean the way he cleaned out an entire LHW division that was once considered the deepest division defending the belt more often then any champion sure screams avoiding the toughest opponets........
    the LHW division has never been considered the deepest division while Jones has been active. I don't know that I'd have even top 3.

Yes, he's successfully defended the belt more often, if you count both fights against Middleweights. Of course, both of them accomplished more than Cormier at LHW [in recent memory] so it's all good. Break out the abacus.

And it's not what Jones has accomplished that "screams" anything. It's what he says. It's his statements that contenders should fight one another instead of facing him--essentially leaving an incredibly shallow division entirely dried up.

If Jones beat Tex, and then Goose and Cormier fight to see who gets him next; who does Jones fight after the winner of Goose/Cormier? Phil Davis? Anthony Johnson? Two guys who you were just saying hadn't done anything in another thread? Or maybe he should fight another MW? I hear Bisping is looking for a rebound.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Jones actually isn't talking out of his ass here. He's not backpedaling at all. Before when he talked about fighting at HW it looked like the LHW division was just about cleared out. After the fight with Goose everyone saw him get tested, including himself. Jones doesn't appear to be as competitive as he was thought to be for HWs. He realizes that or he realize these LHW are hungry to beat him.

Thread Information