Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones: 'No interest' in fighting Cain Velasquez

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    The problem is that he does not want to face Gustafsson or Cormier either.
    He is absolutely overlooking Teixeira, and from what we have seen, it is hard to imagine Davis beating him.

Jones is a little bit like Rousey. They definitely want to avoid the toughest opponents there are.
    There is a huge difference though because Jones took on all comers, took a # 1 contender fight on short notice(I'm not sure it was announced #1 contender until after the fight though) and dominated all of the top guys in the world at LHW when he first became champ. Yes now he is seemingly pretty vocal about not wanting to fight certain guys but that is his opinion.

It is not the same as Ronda who doesn't want to fight people when she has never faced the best fighters at her weight Holly, Gina and Cyborg. Now she might fight GIna who hasn't fought in 5 years which is not the same as Jones smashing all of the top guys in their prime.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    There is a huge difference though because Jones took on all comers, took a # 1 contender fight on short notice(I'm not sure it was announced #1 contender until after the fight though) and dominated all of the top guys in the world at LHW when he first became champ. Yes now he is seemingly pretty vocal about not wanting to fight certain guys but that is his opinion.

It is not the same as Ronda who doesn't want to fight people when she has never faced the best fighters at her weight Holly, Gina and Cyborg. Now she might fight GIna who hasn't fought in 5 years which is not the same as Jones smashing all of the top guys in their prime.
    You just named 3 people that aren't even in the UFC, let alone Rousey's division...

Jones is smart to stay away from the HW division. He has a distinct advantage over most of the division, with the exception of a guy who took him to the limit and as much as everyone says he has cleared out the LHW division, he has not. He still has Tex, Cormier and the rematch with Goose before he can even really claim to have done so. If he moves up he will lose most of that advantage and lets be honest, Cain would more than likely dominate Jones.

Saying Rousey is ducking fighters is silly to me also. Name one female at 135 that is currently on the UFC roster that she has "ducked" or even avoided...I'll wait...
    Believe in Chimichanga's

Quote Originally Posted by The_Icon View Post
    You just named 3 people that aren't even in the UFC, let alone Rousey's division...

Jones is smart to stay away from the HW division. He has a distinct advantage over most of the division, with the exception of a guy who took him to the limit and as much as everyone says he has cleared out the LHW division, he has not. He still has Tex, Cormier and the rematch with Goose before he can even really claim to have done so. If he moves up he will lose most of that advantage and lets be honest, Cain would more than likely dominate Jones.

Saying Rousey is ducking fighters is silly to me also. Name one female at 135 that is currently on the UFC roster that she has "ducked" or even avoided...I'll wait...
    Jones did clear out the LHW division when it was considered to be the deepest division in the UFC, minus Hendo, I'm still bummed I never got to see that fight. But weren't they scheduled to fight at one point and someone got injured? I honestly can't remember.

As for Rousey, I'm not a fan of hers but I agree with her not ducking anyone. I would tell Cyborg to come down to 135 to fight also. She would have to lose some unnatural muscle mass. Carano would not. Unfortunately she would have to lose some of her sexy body, but she'd still be hot as hell. God, I'm a terrible WMMA fan.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Icon View Post

What the fuck are you talking about? When did I say she ducked anybody? Plus the point I was making is that while Jones talks about who he he doesn't want to face after he has already beaten the best in the world. Ronda has not beaten the best in the world by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks for waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    Jones did clear out the LHW division when it was considered to be the deepest division in the UFC,....
    ...when was that, exactly?

I don't recall LHW ever being the deepest division.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

6. Default

LW was the deepest div in the UFC during the Jones era.

And on topic for the thread, Id really like to hear from Jon who he _would_ like to fight, instead of an ever-growing list of people he doesnt want to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

rh
    Really? Back when Machida faced Shogun LHW was widely viewed as the deepest division in the UFC (on this forum).
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

rh
    Maybe not the deepest at that time (it was pretty solid though) but right after Zuffa bought pride and many of the fighters transferred over it was the deepest in my opinion.

Even if Light heavyweight isn't as deep why does he need to move up? There are other possible fights in the making at 205. Winner of Davis vs Johnson is a huge fight for both, Cormier and Evans are both still sitting there; maybe even a young riser like O.S.P can make a run for a shot. When you look at the heavyweight position there are some guys who come to mind that could lose weight; and hell maybe Anderson Silva will make a move up at some point. There's options, but the UFC really needs to start digging into these local shows and find some potential young guns. I think Dodson was the last TUF winner to get a title shot and that was January of last year.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

LHW was never the deepest. Even with the influx of former PRIDE fighters, it was just the most star-studded because the lighter weight classes hadn't got the push and only now are starting to. WW and LW were always deeper.

Here's a quick opponent-by-opponent rundown of Jones title tenure:

Shogun - ALWAYS had trouble with wrestlers (see Coleman, Mark), notoriously inconsistent in his performances and his match with Jones was a poor showing, and along with Rashad & Machida, very small for LHW. And a LHW all-time great but past his prime.

Rampage - and remember this was 6 months after winning the title because he mysteriously was not ready to face Rashad and then as soon as Rashad had a scheduled fight with Davis was ready to go. Followed a typically very cautious and strategic Greg Jackson gameplan until Jackson, who has notoriously bad cardio, was ripe for the picking, even going so far as to literally run away from Quinton when he managed to get within striking range. Again, I repeat, he turned his back and ran, far more egregiously than Condit/Diaz. Another LHW out of his prime.

Machida - probably his best performance against a small LHW with a record of having a suspect chin.

Rashad - after having more than a year to prepare, he beat another small LHW, and couldn't finish the same guy who was finished by the guy he'd just beat.

Vitor and Chael - 2 MWs (continuing his trend of always fighting smaller fighters where Jones had massive physical advantages) and was damaged in both fights despite the obvious mismatches.

Gustafsson - despite having been subbed by wrestler Phil Davis and not facing another high-level wrestler until Jones thus being perceived as a sacrificial lamb because Jones had "cleaned out the division already", arguably beat him and definitely inflicted more damage than he received. This fact is so obvious just by looking at both after the fight and even moreso watching both walk, or in Jones' case limp, out of the ring. Note this was the 1st time Jones faced anyone within 6 years of his own age, 8 if you discount Shogun who obviously had more "fight miles" on his body than most his age.

Yes, I am clearly not a fan of Jones but nothing I stated is a lie.
    Talk is cheap...because supply exceeds demand.

Thread Information