Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65

Thread: Jones: 'No interest' in fighting Cain Velasquez

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,504

    Default

    Jones: I think I am a little arrogant
    Mike Chiapetta via Fox Sports

    At only twenty six years of age, Jon Jones is a seven time defending light heavyweight champion. That would make anyone a little cocky and arrogant, something Jones himself even admitted to a recent interview:

    "I think I am. I think I am a little arrogant," he said on Monday. "I think it's really important. The thing about me I say all the time is, I notice that I'm full of myself and I am arrogant to some degree, but it's obviously only when it comes to talking about MMA, where literally, I do the wildest stuff. I don't think I live like a celebrity at all. All my friends are normal people, normal dudes who do the most normal stuff all the time. But when it comes to MMA, there is a big chip on my shoulder. There is a way that I look at myself, and I think it's really, really important. It's something I'm not really apologetic for. As I get older and as I win more, I start to embrace it even more. The biggest thing is not to be apologetic for it. I realize it's a big part of the reason I'm able to perform out there. The moment I let fear seep is the moment the fights start getting closer and closer. So yeah, I think it's important to be an absolute believer and have that confidence."

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    686

    Default

    Then he must've already let the fear seep in because his last fight was close as hell.

    There's a fine line between cockiness and arrogance and he went over that line before he even won the belt by signing autographs "UFC LHW Champion" BEFORE he beat Shogun.
    Talk is cheap...because supply exceeds demand.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mulefloyd View Post
    Then he must've already let the fear seep in because his last fight was close as hell.

    There's a fine line between cockiness and arrogance and he went over that line before he even won the belt by signing autographs "UFC LHW Champion" BEFORE he beat Shogun.
    Cockiness and arrogance are the same thing. Confidence is a different thing though.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Know your role BLVD and Jabroni Dr
    Posts
    735

    Default

    It is not the same as Ronda who doesn't want to fight people when she has never faced the best fighters at her weight Holly, Gina and Cyborg. Now she might fight GIna who hasn't fought in 5 years which is not the same as Jones smashing all of the top guys in their prime.
    My apologies, you never used the word "ducked" but you did say that she hasn't faced the best at her weight and then preceded to name two women who are not in her weight class let alone her organization. Again I asked who she has avoided (if thats a friendlier term) that is in her weight division and also the UFC? I can't name any.

    Sorry, don't mean to stray off topic again but I just wanted to answer that.
    Believe in Chimichanga's


  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Icon View Post
    My apologies, you never used the word "ducked" but you did say that she hasn't faced the best at her weight and then preceded to name two women who are not in her weight class let alone her organization. Again I asked who she has avoided (if thats a friendlier term) that is in her weight division and also the UFC? I can't name any.

    Sorry, don't mean to stray off topic again but I just wanted to answer that.
    Ronda initially earned her title shot at 145 in Strikeforce and chose to drop down to 135 to AVOID/DUCK Cyborg. There's no other way to flip that.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mulefloyd View Post
    LHW was never the deepest. Even with the influx of former PRIDE fighters, it was just the most star-studded because the lighter weight classes hadn't got the push and only now are starting to. WW and LW were always deeper.

    Here's a quick opponent-by-opponent rundown of Jones title tenure:

    Shogun - ALWAYS had trouble with wrestlers (see Coleman, Mark), notoriously inconsistent in his performances and his match with Jones was a poor showing, and along with Rashad & Machida, very small for LHW. And a LHW all-time great but past his prime.

    Rampage - and remember this was 6 months after winning the title because he mysteriously was not ready to face Rashad and then as soon as Rashad had a scheduled fight with Davis was ready to go. Followed a typically very cautious and strategic Greg Jackson gameplan until Jackson, who has notoriously bad cardio, was ripe for the picking, even going so far as to literally run away from Quinton when he managed to get within striking range. Again, I repeat, he turned his back and ran, far more egregiously than Condit/Diaz. Another LHW out of his prime.

    Machida - probably his best performance against a small LHW with a record of having a suspect chin.

    Rashad - after having more than a year to prepare, he beat another small LHW, and couldn't finish the same guy who was finished by the guy he'd just beat.

    Vitor and Chael - 2 MWs (continuing his trend of always fighting smaller fighters where Jones had massive physical advantages) and was damaged in both fights despite the obvious mismatches.

    Gustafsson - despite having been subbed by wrestler Phil Davis and not facing another high-level wrestler until Jones thus being perceived as a sacrificial lamb because Jones had "cleaned out the division already", arguably beat him and definitely inflicted more damage than he received. This fact is so obvious just by looking at both after the fight and even moreso watching both walk, or in Jones' case limp, out of the ring. Note this was the 1st time Jones faced anyone within 6 years of his own age, 8 if you discount Shogun who obviously had more "fight miles" on his body than most his age.

    Yes, I am clearly not a fan of Jones but nothing I stated is a lie.
    Sorry but your assessment's here are pretty bad and very biased..

    Shogun - You say past his prime etc... yet he was coming off a dominant victory and highly disputed loss to Machida who at the time nobody had beaten much less been able to figure out. Not to mention he was the champ at the division you don;t usually get to be champ if you are an easy victory.

    Rampage - You mock a strategy that finished a guy who had never been submitted before

    Machida - Suspect chin really? The guy has only ever been knocked out once in 25 fights and the one came at the hands of someone who wins 2 of every 3 fights with a ko

    Rashad - Styles make fights not mma math

    Vitor - Jones still won and Vitor is a dangerous whether a mw or lw

    Sonnen - I missed it where did Chael damage Jones are you talking about the toe ? I'd seriously hope not

    Gustaffson - (So many things wrong here

    - It's very short sighted to not figure that Gustaffson who lost to a wrestler at the beginning stages of his UFC wouldn't take those 3 years and improve his wrestling defense. What's worse is you ignore the fact that Gus immediately after losing that match to Davis started training with him to improve.

    - You ignore that Gustaffson has fought two wrestlers with good credentials in between facing Jones

    - Jones limps out of the ring win or lose due to the kicks he throws (see the rampage match)

    - The whole look at how they looked after the fight debate is dumb we score the fights by using something besides injuries and besides that both fighters did damage to each other
    Last edited by Rise; 04-23-2014 at 10:56 PM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Posts
    2,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mulefloyd View Post
    LHW was never the deepest. Even with the influx of former PRIDE fighters, it was just the most star-studded because the lighter weight classes hadn't got the push and only now are starting to. WW and LW were always deeper.

    Here's a quick opponent-by-opponent rundown of Jones title tenure:

    Shogun - ALWAYS had trouble with wrestlers (see Coleman, Mark), notoriously inconsistent in his performances and his match with Jones was a poor showing, and along with Rashad & Machida, very small for LHW. And a LHW all-time great but past his prime.

    Rampage - and remember this was 6 months after winning the title because he mysteriously was not ready to face Rashad and then as soon as Rashad had a scheduled fight with Davis was ready to go. Followed a typically very cautious and strategic Greg Jackson gameplan until Jackson, who has notoriously bad cardio, was ripe for the picking, even going so far as to literally run away from Quinton when he managed to get within striking range. Again, I repeat, he turned his back and ran, far more egregiously than Condit/Diaz. Another LHW out of his prime.

    Machida - probably his best performance against a small LHW with a record of having a suspect chin.

    Rashad - after having more than a year to prepare, he beat another small LHW, and couldn't finish the same guy who was finished by the guy he'd just beat.

    Vitor and Chael - 2 MWs (continuing his trend of always fighting smaller fighters where Jones had massive physical advantages) and was damaged in both fights despite the obvious mismatches.

    Gustafsson - despite having been subbed by wrestler Phil Davis and not facing another high-level wrestler until Jones thus being perceived as a sacrificial lamb because Jones had "cleaned out the division already", arguably beat him and definitely inflicted more damage than he received. This fact is so obvious just by looking at both after the fight and even moreso watching both walk, or in Jones' case limp, out of the ring. Note this was the 1st time Jones faced anyone within 6 years of his own age, 8 if you discount Shogun who obviously had more "fight miles" on his body than most his age.

    Yes, I am clearly not a fan of Jones but nothing I stated is a lie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Sorry but your assessment's here are pretty bad and very biased..

    Shogun - You say past his prime etc... yet he was coming off a dominant victory and highly disputed loss to Machida who at the time nobody had beaten much less been able to figure out. Not to mention he was the champ at the division you don;t usually get to be champ if you are an easy victory.

    Rampage - You mock a strategy that finished a guy who had never been submitted before

    Machida - Suspect chin really? The guy has only ever been knocked out once in 25 fights and the one came at the hands of someone who wins 2 of every 3 fights with a ko

    Rashad - Styles make fights not mma math

    Vitor - Jones still won and Vitor is a dangerous whether a mw or lw

    Sonnen - I missed it where did Chael damage Jones are you talking about the toe ? I'd seriously hope not

    Gustaffson - (So many things wrong here

    - It's very short sighted to not figure that Gustaffson who lost to a wrestler at the beginning stages of his UFC wouldn't take those 3 years and improve his wrestling defense. What's worse is you ignore the fact that Gus immediately after losing that match to Davis started training with him to improve.

    - You ignore that Gustaffson has fought two wrestlers with good credentials in between facing Jones

    - Jones limps out of the ring in

    - The whole look at how they looked after the fight debate is dumb we score the fights by using something besides injuries and besides that both fighters did damage to each other
    Missed this gem of a post...thankfully Rise has put you in place because your post was just ridiculous on so many levels.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    I mean the way he cleaned out an entire LHW division that was once considered the deepest division defending the belt more often then any champion sure screams avoiding the toughest opponets........
    Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    Jones did clear out the LHW division when it was considered to be the deepest division in the UFC
    Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Really? Back when Machida faced Shogun LHW was widely viewed as the deepest division in the UFC (on this forum).
    No. This needs to not have any legs. Honestly, go back and look at historical rankings if you need to, but the LHW division has NEVER been the deepest division in the UFC. It was deep when the PRIDE guys came over, but even then, it couldn't hold a candle to WW. It's been competitive with LW for the 2nd or 3rd spot, depending, but most often has occupied the 3rd spot.

    When Jones won the title from Shogun, guys like Forrest and Tito were still getting ranked, and King Mo and Mousasi. Henderson wasn't even back in the UFC yet. Contrast that with WW, which has always been a murderers row. Consider that both Fitch and Sheilds were both cut when they were solidly ranked between 7 and 5, after just one loss.

    So no, this nonsense of "Jones cleared out the LHW division when it was the deepest in the UFC" needs to go away. It's bullshit revisionist history, it never happened.

    I'm not saying Jones isn't a monster at LHW. I'm not saying there isn't an excellent case to be made for him to be the GOAT at LHW, or that the sky isn't the limit for his future, particularly if he stays at LHW. I'm also saying even if he loses his title this year, I think he's overwhelmingly likely to win it again.

    But I am saying that bullshit is bullshit, and that "deepest division" is bullshit. At 25, he's already done enough where exaggerations like this cheapen his legacy, they don't enhance it.

    MMA journalism already muddies the water with a bunch of nonsense, don't make it worse.

    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    Yeah, Bye.

  9. #29

    Default

    LHW was never the deepest division. It was the marquee division of the UFC as it had 3 major stars in Liddell, Ortiz and Couture. LHW attracted the most fans in my eyes as it always had a pretty marketable champion. Welterweight was long considered the deepest division, with only recently being taken over by the LW division.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    LHW was never the deepest division. It was the marquee division of the UFC as it had 3 major stars in Liddell, Ortiz and Couture. LHW attracted the most fans in my eyes as it always had a pretty marketable champion. Welterweight was long considered the deepest division, with only recently being taken over by the LW division.
    Liddell, Ortiz, Coutore, Rampage, Wand, Shogun, Rashad, Machida, Forrest, Hendo, Jardine, Matt Hamil, Brandon Vera, Michael Bisping, Bonnar, a young Jon Jones the list goes on. LHW used to be packed with very good fighters in the 2009ish era.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •