Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Liddell: Chael self-promotion bad, Jones should have fought Chael

Hybrid View

Default Liddell: Chael self-promotion bad, Jones should have fought Chael

Liddell: Chael self-promotion bad, Jones should have fought Chael

In a recent interview with MMAJunkie's Steven Marrocco, UFC Hall of Famer said he doesn't appreciate the way Chael Sonnen sells fights.

“Chael’s a nice guy," said Liddell. "I’ve met him and hung out with him. I like him, and he’s a nice guy. I can’t stand the way he promotes fights.

“I understand what he’s doing; he wasn’t the most exciting fighter, so he made himself exciting by promoting the fight really well, and he got himself a couple of title shots for it. It works, but that whole crazy WWE-type stuff, that over-the-top stuff when you’re fighting a guy, doesn’t make sense to me, and I don’t like it.

“But it is what it is. Some of the fans like it, and it gets people to watch fights, that’s fine.”

“Some of the things he said, as far as I’m concerned, are over the line. Unless you’re known as an actor or being a WWE guy, you can get away with some of that stuff because everybody knows it’s fake.”

Sonnen was recently in a brawl with Wanderlei Silva on the set of TUF Brazil 3, that left both fighters banged up, and delayed their fight.

“I’m sure he didn’t mean to start it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he crossed the line and Wanderlei took a swing at him,” said Liddell. “Everyone has a line, and especially fighters.”
    Liddell also recently appeared on The MMA Hour, and took Jon Jones to task for not fighting the late replacement Sonnen; this led to the canceling of UFC 151, which was to have been on 1 September 2012. It is a little ironic that Liddell chose to criticize Sonnen, as his antics, and his fortitude, led to the title shot offer. Further, given Jones aggressive style of play, telling him to go after it more seems a little unwarranted.

"I would have done anything just to keep the fight," said Liddell said. "I'll fight anybody. I've already done all the training and I've already gotten ready for it. I'm in great shape and I'm the best light heavyweight in the world, I shouldn't be afraid to fight anybody."

"I think people liked the way I fight. My style of fighting is to go down and trying to finish the guy and trying to end fights, not laying up because I'm winning the fight, just keep going after it.

"I think pulling out of [UFC 151] really fight really hurt him with the fans. That was, you're fighting a guy coming up from a weight class down, who, when you're given a chance, I heard an excuse about him being a southpaw, I mean, c'mon, you fought a [lefthander] the fight before. And it's not like Chael is a slick southpaw, a slick striker, he's a brawler with the stance because he shoots that way. Pulling out of that probably hurt him with the fans, I mean, it's just I think some of the stuff he says they don't agree with. You can't have everything."

"I like Jon, I think he's a good guy. I'd like to see him get after it more and try to finish more. But he's tough man, he's doing what he does."

People still don't realize it wasn't Jon Jones fault for that PPV being cancelled, no one wants to admit Hendo was responsible for not being more transparent about his injury.

As for Chael, he sells fights and gets people invested and interested in the outcome. A lot of MMA fighters are bland and horrible on the mic, it was just a matter of time that people realized talking with help not hinder. Fighting will always be the forefront but some trash talking is good for the sport, its not going to hurt the image thats for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

People still don't realize it wasn't Jon Jones fault for that PPV being cancelled, no one wants to admit Hendo was responsible for not being more transparent about his injury.
    I dont really think that was the point Liddell was trying to make, I think it had more to do with having the heart of a 'lion' / champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I dont really think that was the point Liddell was trying to make, I think it had more to do with having the heart of a 'lion' / champ.
    This

I mean can you imagine Chuck turning down a fight like that? Never would have happended

Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    Im not a Hendo fan at all, but he got hurt and COULDN'T fight. Jones simply didn't WANT to fight.
    I think the point there was that Hendo knew he was hurt much earlier and could have spoke up sooner. Had he done that it would not have been last minute.

5. 04-21-2014, 08:55 PM

Hendo's irresponsibility or hesitation to announce his injury is a separate issue (if it's even true).

Jones letting the PPV tank when he had the power and capability to save it is what it is. There's no mistaking that Jones is an athlete, akin to a Baseball player. Jon Jones is an athlete before a fighter. Liddell is a fighter before an athlete.

As for Chael, he sells fights and gets people invested and interested in the outcome. A lot of MMA fighters are bland and horrible on the mic, it was just a matter of time that people realized talking with help not hinder. Fighting will always be the forefront but some trash talking is good for the sport, its not going to hurt the image thats for sure.
    Im not a Hendo fan at all, but he got hurt and COULDN'T fight. Jones simply didn't WANT to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    Didn't he with hold from telling the UFC for a while though? I think that is the point he is trying to make. If he would've reported the injury earlier there would've been more time to prepare for a new opponent and maybe Jones wouldn't have turned down the fight.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Didn't he with hold from telling the UFC for a while though? I think that is the point he is trying to make. If he would've reported the injury earlier there would've been more time to prepare for a new opponent and maybe Jones wouldn't have turned down the fight.
    hendo also thought he was going to be cleared to fight and it wasnt until his last doctor visit a week out of the fight or w.e that he didnt get cleared. He told the UFC then and they went offering ppl fights before chael stepped up and accepted it.

Quote Originally Posted by mma #1 fan View Post
    When he did that are you saying it did not shock the shit out of you.
    how long was left in the round for him to just lay on the guy?"
    Yes, I found it shocking.
    There were about 30 seconds left in the Wandi fight.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    hendo also thought he was going to be cleared to fight and it wasnt until his last doctor visit a week out of the fight or w.e that he didnt get cleared. He told the UFC then and they went offering ppl fights before chael stepped up and accepted it.
    They offered it to Machida and Shogun. At the time of the offer, Shogun was still medically suspended, and Machida asked for the same thing that Jones did: Time to complete a full camp with a focus on a specific opponent. Lyoto was training for Bader, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, sonnen was not the only person who offered to take the fight on short notice. There were a few: I can't remember all of them, but I specifically remember that Chris Weidman offered to take it, and stated that it didn't even need to be a title shot. I can't help but think that would have been a far more competitive fight than the one sonnen put up.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information