Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44

Thread: Liddell: Chael self-promotion bad, Jones should have fought Chael

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    My mother has this distorted-reality thing where she remembers shit that didn't happen and has painted herself in a more glamorous light as a parent. Maybe Chuck has done similar.

    Chuck earned his spot in mma lore and is a warrior. I'm just saying he should really consider what he's implying here.
    I get what you are saying. And part of me agrees. However I look at it as Chuck and Wandy both spent 14 plus minutes trying to finish the fight. Chuck was in a fight gassing out and knew he was drained so he took the fight to the ground. This to me at least is different than winning the first 2 rounds and then avoiding engaging or taking the fight to ground at the start of rd 3 anddoing just enough so it won't get stood up but never really going in for the kill.

    Also I should state that I am a huge Chuck nut hugger and in my mind I could just be rationalizing the whole thing. At least I am honest about it unlike some Bones fans.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,502

    Default

    "I think people liked the way I fight. My style of fighting is to go down and trying to finish the guy and trying to end fights, not laying up because I'm winning the fight, just keep going after it.
    You and I actually agree. I was just pointing out that this statement was not true.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Lol. Is this the guy who looked at the clock then went for a takedown in the biggest fight of his career?

    I haven't been too critical of that move but come on, Chuck.

    I actually still respect Jones' reasoning for avoiding the Chael fight to start off. It would be crazy to train for a right-handed, flat-footed power-puncher who gets the majority of his takedowns from the body lock and then turn around and fight a left-handed, GNP volume fighter who shoots power doubles all night long.

    Also, didn't Henderson's camp delay the fight in order to make Sonnen, who had been training for Jones using inside knowledge of the injury, the only option?
    That was definitely not the biggest fight of his career and he did it at the end of the fight because he was gassed. It wasn't his intention to go in and sit on top of him for the entire fight like other guys do
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

  4. Default

    From the other side of the Chuck v Wandy coin, I saw that takedown by Chuck as him trying to put the stamp on the 3rd round, since it was pretty obviously going to the judges at that point. The only thing Chuck was "playing safe" with there was making sure he won the round. Also, f*ck the #2 ranking, that was the BEST fight in the history of the UFC. I just wish it happened a few years earlier.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    I remember some of you guys ripping Johny Hendricks for doing the exact same thing at the end of the Robbie Lawler fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?


  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    That was definitely not the biggest fight of his career and he did it at the end of the fight because he was gassed. It wasn't his intention to go in and sit on top of him for the entire fight like other guys do
    Arguably the greatest if not top 5 greatest fight in UFC history that he and Wandy had lobbied for years should qualify as a bigger fight than anything I can remember Chuck taking part in. The Tito fights may have sold more but I don't think they compare.

    On my other statement, I agree he never intended to sit on top of him. What he did was look at the clock and then shoot a takedown with no intention of getting a finish. That's not in line with his statement of always going for the finish. He laid up; literally.

    I've said I'm fine with it and haven't been overly critical but the fact remains that he did it and has now chosen to be quite critical of others whe get a lead then coast. It does nothing to diminish Chuck's accomplishments or define him. I just think it makes him look a bit like a clown when he says those things.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I've said I'm fine with it and haven't been overly critical but the fact remains that he did it and has now chosen to be quite critical of others whe get a lead then coast. It does nothing to diminish Chuck's accomplishments or define him. I just think it makes him look a bit like a clown when he says those things.
    I've been critical, but the only time I've brought it up is after Chuck makes a bonehead statement like this one.

    You did it, Chuck. Own it. You accomplished enough in your life where it's essentially nothing...unless you try to pretend it didn't happen.

    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    Yeah, Bye.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,502

    Default

    That's what I've been saying but evidently people have missed that portion of the sentiment.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

  9. Default

    I don't think I've ever heard him try and act like it didn't happen. Unless I missed something.

    Because let's say 10 years of constantly going for the finish, even his last fight against Rich, outweighs a 10 second takedown.

    So because of that, I think he can tell guys to go finish fights and the like.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful



  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Posts
    2,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    So because of that, I think he can tell guys to go finish fights and the like.
    I agree too, but why say "Jones needs to look to finish more" when he has finished 5 of 7 title fights and 10 of 14 fights in the UFC (im counting Hamill as a finish). Its just a crazy statement from a guy who has ties to the other fighter Jones is fighting.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •