+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Liddell: Chael self-promotion bad, Jones should have fought Chael

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Those were fun times to be watching MMA. Chuck Liddell ruling the roost and Pride cards. Those were the days.
    Word, The sport changed after Chuck retired. Not necessarily as a result of him retiring but I enjoyed watching MMA much more up until like 2010-2011 ish

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Lol. Is this the guy who looked at the clock then went for a takedown in the biggest fight of his career?

I haven't been too critical of that move but come on, Chuck.

I actually still respect Jones' reasoning for avoiding the Chael fight to start off. It would be crazy to train for a right-handed, flat-footed power-puncher who gets the majority of his takedowns from the body lock and then turn around and fight a left-handed, GNP volume fighter who shoots power doubles all night long.

Also, didn't Henderson's camp delay the fight in order to make Sonnen, who had been training for Jones using inside knowledge of the injury, the only option?
    When he did that are you saying it did not shock the shit out of you.
    how long was left in the round for him to just lay on the guy?"

He said he always went for the finish and never laid up when he thought/knew he was ahead on the cards.

That's simply not true. He knew he wasn't finishing that fight with a TD.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    Im not a Hendo fan at all, but he got hurt and COULDN'T fight. Jones simply didn't WANT to fight.
    Didn't he with hold from telling the UFC for a while though? I think that is the point he is trying to make. If he would've reported the injury earlier there would've been more time to prepare for a new opponent and maybe Jones wouldn't have turned down the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Didn't he with hold from telling the UFC for a while though? I think that is the point he is trying to make. If he would've reported the injury earlier there would've been more time to prepare for a new opponent and maybe Jones wouldn't have turned down the fight.
    hendo also thought he was going to be cleared to fight and it wasnt until his last doctor visit a week out of the fight or w.e that he didnt get cleared. He told the UFC then and they went offering ppl fights before chael stepped up and accepted it.

WE'RE NOT HERE TO TAKE PART, WE'RE HERE TO TAKE OVER!!

Word, The sport changed after Chuck retired. Not necessarily as a result of him retiring but I enjoyed watching MMA much more up until like 2010-2011 ish
    Yup, it was much more exciting match-up wise somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by mma #1 fan View Post
    When he did that are you saying it did not shock the shit out of you.
    how long was left in the round for him to just lay on the guy?"
    Yes, I found it shocking.
    There were about 30 seconds left in the Wandi fight.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    hendo also thought he was going to be cleared to fight and it wasnt until his last doctor visit a week out of the fight or w.e that he didnt get cleared. He told the UFC then and they went offering ppl fights before chael stepped up and accepted it.
    They offered it to Machida and Shogun. At the time of the offer, Shogun was still medically suspended, and Machida asked for the same thing that Jones did: Time to complete a full camp with a focus on a specific opponent. Lyoto was training for Bader, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, sonnen was not the only person who offered to take the fight on short notice. There were a few: I can't remember all of them, but I specifically remember that Chris Weidman offered to take it, and stated that it didn't even need to be a title shot. I can't help but think that would have been a far more competitive fight than the one sonnen put up.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Lyoto was training for Bader, if I'm not mistaken.

rh
    This was right after the Machida/Bader fight. Remember that shit they did where they had Machida facing Bader and Shogun facing Vera on FOX, and whoever looked the most impressive (according to Dana White) would get the winner of Bones/Hendo?

Then Hendo went down and they offered the spot to Machida.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    They offered it to Machida and Shogun. At the time of the offer, Shogun was still medically suspended, and Machida asked for the same thing that Jones did: Time to complete a full camp with a focus on a specific opponent. Lyoto was training for Bader, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, sonnen was not the only person who offered to take the fight on short notice. There were a few: I can't remember all of them, but I specifically remember that Chris Weidman offered to take it, and stated that it didn't even need to be a title shot. I can't help but think that would have been a far more competitive fight than the one sonnen put up.

rh
    Machida had dismantled Bader a few weeks prior. Shogun beat Vera on the same card. Those 2 became front runners for #1 contender with their wins.

Sonnen, Vitor, Weidman all stepped up. But from what I remember Chris saying was he "just threw his name out there" because "what the hell? Doesn't hurt to step up" but knew he wouldnt get the chance because "Sonnen and Vitor were bigger names than he was".

Whether you like Sonnen or not, at least he's game for a fight. Vitor has same mentality, as I recall he stepped up to face Fedor when Barnett was withdrawn.

Weidman, IMO, already has the tools to give Jones a war, and possibly beat him. He gets better with each fight, and if he can dismantle Machida, it will go a long way. A few more fights with guys like Jacare, Rockhold, Vitor, and I think a fight with Jones should be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    This was right after the Machida/Bader fight. Remember that shit they did where they had Machida facing Bader and Shogun facing Vera on FOX, and whoever looked the most impressive (according to Dana White) would get the winner of Bones/Hendo?

Then Hendo went down and they offered the spot to Machida.
    right. I remember now.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    Machida had dismantled Bader a few weeks prior. Shogun beat Vera on the same card. Those 2 became front runners for #1 contender with their wins.
    I got it. The week after the Vera bout, Shogun caught a 45 day medical suspension. I think it ended the day after dana offered him the fight.

Sonnen, Vitor, Weidman all stepped up. But from what I remember Chris saying was he "just threw his name out there" because "what the hell? Doesn't hurt to step up" but knew he wouldnt get the chance because "Sonnen and Vitor were bigger names than he was".
    There were other fighters who offered as well, I just can't remember who it was, and I'm too lazy to go hunt for it. They all came out after the hubbub, and none of them would've have sold the card.

Whether you like Sonnen or not, at least he's game for a fight. Vitor has same mentality, as I recall he stepped up to face Fedor when Barnett was withdrawn.
    I don't know if it's not a matter of me liking him or not. There are people who actually say he "earned" the title shot by being willing to fight Jones, when virtually any professional LHW with nothing to lose--and more importantly, without a win in the division--would have done the same thing.

The way history has been written, the onus to save the card falls on Jones, and he looks like a tool in the public eye for not doing so. That same story has sonnen somehow looking like a hero for being willing to take the fight.

That version of history is pathetically skewed.

Weidman, IMO, already has the tools to give Jones a war, and possibly beat him. He gets better with each fight, and if he can dismantle Machida, it will go a long way. A few more fights with guys like Jacare, Rockhold, Vitor, and I think a fight with Jones should be in order.
    The reason I brought up Weidman is he's an example of a fighter who actually had something to lose at the time--he'd been promised the title shot a month earlier and was in a holding pattern waiting for Silva to man up. But the UFC could make money off his effort at another venue; thus, sonnen got the nod.

But I don't think it's anything particularly special for a fighter with absolutely nothing to lose to want to fight the champ--particularly on short notice, so the champion doesn't even have time to prepare.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information