Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Khabib Nurmagomedov: Learn wrestling if you want to compete with me

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    If he was in Bellator he'd be treated like Askren.
    EXCELLENT point dude!
    And something I hadn't even considered before.
    But you are right on the money...
    Askren was lambasted for being a dominant wrestler... while Nurmagomedov is heralded... for being a dominant grappler.
    The difference being, one of them is a UFC fighter (= GOOD) the other a former Bellator champ (= BAD)... at least according to some people's logic.

VERY cool point you raise dude!

Askren NOT being in the UFC is an absolute joke to me... and the most OBVIOUS case of politics trumping what is right/deserved.
    How that guy got screwed by DW and Co.... it's a shame.

If he was in Bellator he'd be treated like Askren.
    Are you saying by fans or by the UFC?. By the fans I can see it but from the UFC definitely not because they love international fighters that they can market to other countries.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Are you saying by fans or by the UFC?. By the fans I can see it but from the UFC definitely not because they love international fighters that they can market to other countries.
    You know, that's a good point that I hadn't considered either.
    The UFC do love int'l fighters and it is a smart marketing strategy.
    But... I still think that it's incredibly contradictory and hypocritical for the UFC brass to sing the praises of Nurmagomedov while simultaneously disparaging Askren.

And... I think the international angle wouldn't really be that huge a factor since he's Dagistani... and I don't see any UFC events heading to Dagistan anytime soon. Or any other country within 500 miles of Dagistan.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I'm saying that if he was fighting in Bellator, DFW and the UFC fanboys/brass would trash him just like they do Askren.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Dirten View Post
    You know, that's a good point that I hadn't considered either.
    The UFC do love int'l fighters and it is a smart marketing strategy.
    But... I still think that it's incredibly contradictory and hypocritical for the UFC brass to sing the praises of Nurmagomedov while simultaneously disparaging Askren.

And... I think the international angle wouldn't really be that huge a factor since he's Dagistani... and I don't see any UFC events heading to Dagistan anytime soon. Or any other country within 500 miles of Dagistan.
    Dagestan is in Russia. If they make a card in Moscow, there will be a lot of Dagestanis attending the event.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

All this guy has to do is lose 1 fight, and he will go the way of Jake Shields, which is fucking ridiculous. And Shields can at least submit his opponents more often than not. Khabib is a boring grinder.

I see it differently.

Khabib is a constantly busy BULL on the ground who forces you to deal with his skills if you want to win.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

8. Default

He is constantly working on the ground. But I appreciate grinders like Fitch, Askren, Shields, and Okami as well.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

I see it differently.

Khabib is a constantly busy BULL on the ground who forces you to deal with his skills if you want to win.
    Once again... completely agree.

And to Pasha K... thank you.
    I was not aware that Dagestan is an actual Republic within Russian borders.
    I had assumed it was an autonomous nation that had reasserted independence following the break up of the Soviet Union. But I was wrong. So thank you for clarifying brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    He is constantly working on the ground. But I appreciate grinders like Fitch, Askren, Shields, and Okami as well.
    Grinders are boring as shit unless they are actually working towards finishing an opponent. With the exception of Shields, I feel that all those you mentioned fall into that category. At least Shields is always looking for the submission.

Khabib is an amazing wrestler, nobody will deny that. And yes, he doesn't stop working, unfortunately all of that work is grinding, which equals boring.

Wrestling is a great skill to base other skills off of. If all a great wrestler has is that wrestling, he will be labeled as boring, at least I will feel that way. Take guys like Cormier, Hendo, and Hendricks, who are all incredible wrestlers, but have developed their striking into legitimate threats, and regularly knock opponents out. If they had never developed their striking, and solely relied on their wrestling, and won because of their wrestling, they would get labeled as boring.

Thread Information