+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renan Barao: ‘I would like to improve my contract’ after UFC 173

1. Default Renan Barao: ‘I would like to improve my contract’ after UFC 173

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/23...tract-mma-news

Renan Barao may be "happy" in his current position as a UFC champion, but he is certainly looking to increase his earnings in the near future.

The UFC bantamweight champion recently stated that he was not overly pleased with his current UFC contract and would like to renegotiate it so that his purse resembles that of the UFC's top stars.

The Brazilian uses Urijah Faber as an example, whom Barao has already defeated on two separate occasions yet the "California Kid" still earns a significantly higher payday.

"I'm very happy being an UFC champion. " Barao told esporte.uol.com. "But I would like to improve my contract. Actually, an example: I know that Faber is a much older guy on the UFC, but he's not even a champion and has a much better purse than mine"
    The UFC 173 fight card was originally set to feature a middleweight title fight between Chris Weidman and Vitor Belfort, but once the Nevada State Athletic Commission decided to ban Testosterone Replacement Therapy, the decision was taken to remove Belfort from the main event and replace him with Lyoto Machida. Soon afterwards, Weidman would withdraw from the event to undergo surgery, making way for Renan Barao vs T.J. Dillashaw as the new headlining bout.

While Barao would have preferred some time off to recuperate, he is excited about the opportunity to fight at a "big event."

"I would prefer to rest a little more, but the UFC needed me, so I'm here to save the card. Unfortunately, Weidman got injured, so they called me and I accepted. It's always good to fight in these big events, I was pretty happy"
    Barao hopes that the UFC remembers that he saved their UFC 173 fight card and that they will consider that when they renegotiate his contract.

"It is what it is, we're working for it to improve. I hope that after this fight I can have a much better contract. I hope it improves everyday. This depends on the contract, but I hope they remember that I saved a card"
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Look at his body of work in the company. Pay him. The end.

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Gas Bag View Post
    Look at his body of work in the company. Pay him. The end.
    100% agreed.

Have always felt that Barao didn't get the respect NOR the cash he deserves... was always sort of in Cruz's shadow.
    I understand why that WAS... but now that he has lost the "interim" status... they need to pay him like the dominant champion that he is.

Renan Barao backtracks on salary saga, comparisons to Urijah Faber's UFC compensation
    His words (via Bloody Elbow):

"After reading news of my quotes in media, I would like to say that I have never said that I was saving the UFC in this card in the sense that was published and much less that I would think that the UFC is in debt with me. This is my job. I haven't spoke with that context, I haven't tried to say that I was unhappy about how much I earn and that I want to renegotiate my contract. I just signed a new contract then I had no need to ask for another. When I was asked about my purse, I said what I always say: There is always how to improve it. If Faber earns more money or less than me, this isn't my problem. He has his bills to pay and I have my bills. He also has a problem with his ugliness and I with my beauty (laughs)."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Dirten View Post
    100% agreed.

Have always felt that Barao didn't get the respect NOR the cash he deserves... was always sort of in Cruz's shadow.
    I understand why that WAS... but now that he has lost the "interim" status... they need to pay him like the dominant champion that he is.
    Problem is he doesn't bring in the fan base or ppv numbers like a lot of others do. While it wold be nice for him to be paid based on performance which he would in other sports the UFC has just never scaled their salary structure that way. Even if he's getting ppv points he still won't pull in the money other champs in higher weight classes do.

6. 04-30-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Problem is he doesn't bring in the fan base or ppv numbers like a lot of others do. While it wold be nice for him to be paid based on performance which he would in other sports the UFC has just never scaled their salary structure that way. Even if he's getting ppv points he still won't pull in the money other champs in higher weight classes do.
    Fans need to love a fighter like Barao. Well they should anyway.

8. Default

Barao is great. I love the excitement he brings to the 135's. Lighter weight finishers will always be a big draw for me.

Also, Cat, his quote above is very good. I love the Faber dig at the end. I lol'd.

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Gas Bag View Post
    Fans need to love a fighter like Barao. Well they should anyway.
    Not saying they shouldn't like guys like Barao, but I think the size issue does lead to a credibility thing when it comes to fighting.

Doesn't apply in my case or yours but when it comes to the more casual fan it factors in.

Barao: "I would like to improve my contract."
    Diaz: "F@#$ you motherf!@#, Pay me my money b!@#$."

Nicely handled Mr. Barao, nicely handled.

Barao's voice is too high and he's just not good looking enough to get paid like a star in the UFC. In the UFC, you have to be able to sell your image, and let's be honest...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information