+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How Dana White Has Made Me a Cyborg Fan

Apples and oranges. Two completely different scenerios. And as far as I know the fight with Gina has been nothing but talk and speculation mostly from message boards

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    Apples and oranges. Two completely different scenerios. And as far as I know the fight with Gina has been nothing but talk and speculation mostly from message boards
    Both Ronda and Dana have both talked about it on multiple occasions Dana even said he guarantee she will fight again and he will give her an automatic title shot because "everyone knows she's legit".

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Both Ronda and Dana have both talked about it on multiple occasions Dana even said he guarantee she will fight again and he will give her an automatic title shot because "everyone knows she's legit".
    Talk is cheap until it happens why bitch about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    He said that no one besides people on message boards have talked about it which isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo View Post
    At one point didn't Dana say he would help her make weight by hiring the best nutritionist, I can't remember his name.
    Yup, they said they'd pay for Mike Dolce's services out of their own pocket, to help Cyborg make the weight. Then less than 2 months later, Tito's press conference occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    It makes perfect sense. Gina hasn't fought in 5 years but is sadly still a big name (arguably still bigger than Cyborg) in the sport and an easy way to gain more attention for Ronda. Cyborg is just a threat and not good looking enough to warrant a title shot to, especially when she can definitely take Rondas title.
    So it makes sense because Gina is more marketable and a bigger name? That is exactly what my problem is with this whole situation, I want to see the best fight the best and the UFC's match making process is based on a popularity contest and not accomplishment. I am not saying that I think that Cyborg has done enough recently to warrant her getting a fight with Rousey, but I am saying that she deserves (and is actually relevant) the fight more than Gina Carano who hasn't fought in 5 years, and the last time we did see her fight she was getting her as kicked by, coincidentally, Cyborg.

Being that Gina is completely irrelevant in current WMMA rankings, and will more than likely remain irrelevant after the fight, in my opinion the fight is nothing more that a circus/cash grab fight somewhat reminiscent ,but not the same (and not as bad), as the Couture vs Toney fight.

It is a lot more than "message board speculation"
    Dana white 'confident' Gina Carano will sign with the UFC - Fox Sports

Apple to Oranges? More like Apples to Pears.

What is so different about the scenarios? What differences that do exist in the two scenarios don't favor Gina in my opinion, she hasn't fought in 5 years, is coming off a loss to Cyborg, and is completely irrelevant. Cyborg on the other hand is ranked very high on most WMMA rankings and hasn't lost since the first fight in her career way back in 2005.
    The only thing Cyborg has against her testing positive for PEDs (not the first fighter to do so) one time and has fought 2 clean fight since. Besides, the UFC has both Alistair Overeem and Vitor Belfort on the roster, why should Cyborg not be forgiven while Belfort and the Reem continue to get fights booked in the UFC.

I am aware that Vitor has never officially been caught cheating, but everyone in their grandmother believes that he was.
    Last edited by XxChAoS32xX; 04-26-2014 at 06:07 PM.
    "Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence."
    — Vince Lombardi

He said that no one besides people on message boards have talked about it which isn't true.
    No. I said as of now its all talk and speculation MOSTLY by message boards. I didn't say that Dana hasn't said it. But we all know how Dana talks all the time and says things that do not happen. RH was right about you not completely reading post and just jumping to conclusions.

Secondly a fight between Gina and Ronda is different than a fight between cyborg and Ronda. One would be a major pay day bringing in lots of causal fans and elevating wmma in the causual fans eyes.

The other is just a fight between the best women today who are in different weight classes (see my earlier post) and fighting for different companies.

Does that make it right? No. But to claim it means anyone is ducking anyone is just absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    We are bitching about it because the UFC is wasting their time trying to book an irrelevant fight that would be nothing more than even a larger waste of time, time they could be spending on trying to book a fight that makes more sense and that actually has, at least, a little relevancy.
    "Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence."
    — Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by XxChAoS32xX View Post
    We are bitching about it because the UFC is wasting their time trying to book an irrelevant fight that would be nothing more than even a larger waste of time, time they could be spending on trying to book a fight that makes more sense and that actually has, at least, a little relevancy.
    Irrelevant to who? A waste of time for who? Makes sense by who's standards? Look I get what you are saying. Part of me even agrees. I also believe it is irrelevant in the big picture. A lot of people on here use to talk about wanting the UFC and MMA in general to be main stream. Well congrats. You are starting to get what you asked for. A fight between Gina and Ronda would pull more people to MMA and MMA. The causal has heard of both. Chance's are much slimmer that the causal fan has heard of Cyborg.

So to goal of money, recognition, and going main stream which fight makes sense? I know I know oh but they COULD promote Cybor and hype up the fight. True.....and then she could not make weight. Oh they can do it at 145...they could but Ronda won't. Its not ducking. But she will fight Gina at 145 and not Cyborg. Yes because money talks. Cyborg asked for her UFC release after they bought strike force if I'm not mistaken.

Welcome to the world of main stream boys. This is the fight game. Not a league run team sport like the NFL or MLB. Its about individual name recognition and headlining drawing power with as little company provided promotion as possible ( why...cuz its cheaper that way).

If this makes you a fan of Cyborg great. But people like us who go to message boards and discuss fights, especially those of us who under one name or another have been here since the start do not matter. We are irrelevant.

Irrelevant to who? A waste of time for who? Makes sense by who's standards? Look I get what you are saying. Part of me even agrees. I also believe it is irrelevant in the big picture. A lot of people on here use to talk about wanting the UFC and MMA in general to be main stream. Well congrats. You are starting to get what you asked for. A fight between Gina and Ronda would pull more people to MMA and MMA. The causal has heard of both. Chance's are much slimmer that the causal fan has heard of Cyborg.

So to goal of money, recognition, and going main stream which fight makes sense? I know I know oh but they COULD promote Cybor and hype up the fight. True.....and then she could not make weight. Oh they can do it at 145...they could but Ronda won't. Its not ducking. But she will fight Gina at 145 and not Cyborg. Yes because money talks. Cyborg asked for her UFC release after they bought strike force if I'm not mistaken.

Welcome to the world of main stream boys. This is the fight game. Not a league run team sport like the NFL or MLB. Its about individual name recognition and headlining drawing power with as little company provided promotion as possible ( why...cuz its cheaper that way).

If this makes you a fan of Cyborg great. But people like us who go to message boards and discuss fights, especially those of us who under one name or another have been here since the start do not matter. We are irrelevant.
    Irrelevant to rankings, so it is irrelevant to the overall picture of WMMA.

I want to see the best fight the best, and waiting for 3 to 6 months for this fight to happen would be a waste of my time because Carano vs Rousey is not remotely the best fighting the best. I consider it a waste of my time because that 3 to 6 months of waiting could be better spent on waiting for Rousey to fight someone that is actually ranked, a fight that would actually mean something to WMMA besides a cash/popularity grab.

I honestly don't think that Cyborg should be fighting Rousey either, I think that she should be fighting someone else that is high ranked in her own weight class. But if we are going to have to wait for a her to fight a "superfight", it makes more sense TO ME that it would be against Cyborg because she only other fighter that is arguably the best woman fighter in the world, and at least it would mean something to the rankings, at least it could prove that Rousey really is the best woman fighter in the world, a fight with Carano would prove nothing.

Although I don't consider myself a fan of Rousey, I do however enjoy watching her fight, and being a champion, she only fights a few times a year. So in my opinion, making one of her few fights this year meaningless to the landscape of WMMA, and against an unranked opponent for the simple purpose of making her more popular and making the UFC more money is waste of my time.

Luckily for the UFC, my opinion doesn't mean jack shit

EDIT: I wasn't one of those who wanted MMA to be this mainstream. I hate the direction MMA has taken and I believe that it is ruining the sport
    Last edited by XxChAoS32xX; 04-26-2014 at 08:06 PM.
    — Vince Lombardi

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information