+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Dana White Has Made Me a Cyborg Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Cyborg wouldn't sign with the UFC because she would "die" losing the weight so she left for Invicta, she has yet to fight a 135lbs(MMA) so not sure what you're getting at........
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    I must be buying the shit he's selling, because it makes sense to me.

So someone who said they couldn't make the weight, or according to their doctor, could die or do permanent damage to their body. Someone who's never made that weight before. And someone who's yet to prove they could make that weight, even in a practice run.

Let's say they UFC signs her, for a fight with Rousey. Let's say she doesn't make weight. That's a ton of money down the drain. And now they have someone under contract that has no weight class to fight in. Immediate release. Huge waste of time and money (maybe millions).

Seems like pretty legit reasons not to sign her to a contract. She should do what Dana has already said she should do. See if she can make the weight, and then take a few fights (and win) at that weight. If she does that, and they still don't sign her, then fine, let the conspiracy theories fly. Until then, I think they are being pretty reasonable, certainly from a business standpoint.
    At one point didn't Dana say he would help her make weight by hiring the best nutritionist, I can't remember his name.
    et noli esse incredulus sed fidelis
    "magic's just science we don't understand yet." Arthur C. Clarke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Dirten View Post
    Just a general question... on a topic that has been driving me CRAZY :

Why isn't Cyborg in the UFC?

Anytime there is a dominant fighter outside of the UFC ranks, DW and Co. literally fall all over themselves trying to sign them.
    But with Cyborg... they don't want to touch her.

Yes... the press conference with Tito was stupid... and Yes... saying you might die if you drop to '35 was stupid... and Yes... taking steroids a few years ago was stupid...

But!

Tito is no longer involved in her career.
    She has expressed her willingness to fight at '35.
    And Cyborg is NOT the first nor only fighter to test positive for a PED.

My point?

Dana White is SO obviously terrified of Cyborg dethroning Rousey (and understandably so... Rousey is FAR more marketable than Cyborg to casual fans, sponsors, MEN in general, etc,.) that he will use any excuse to avoid facing reality... and that reality is that Cyborg deserves to be in the UFC and she is by FAR the best challenge for Ronda.

This seems to be SO transparent and obvious as to be almost hilarious.

So WHY is DW selling the shit he's selling? I mean, is ANYONE buying it?!?!

And what do you think about a fighter being SO blatantly and obviously "protected" like that?

(I am not saying Rousey would lose... but I am saying it's a possibility that scares the shit out of DW and is the REAL reason Cyborg is not in the UFC!)

Anyone agree? Disagree? I'd love to hear thoughts on this!
    I agree whole-heartely with you here. I was never a big fan of Cyborg, didn't dislike her but I was indifferent towards her. Now she is my favorite female fighter because she's a goddamn beast anbd gets no respect from the UFC or their scared women's champion. I'll probably catch shit for this but it is true. If she wasn't scared she would fight her at 145 or 140 catchweight. It would be one thing if she said she didn't want to switch weight classes but she said she would and still doesn't want to face Cyborg.

Ps Dana is calling Cyborg so ugly(as if that is relevant to anything and proves that he really cares more about the sex appeal of female fighters) meanwhile Ronda is not really all that good looking herself. Dana and her make it sound like she is this gorgeous blonde bombshell.

Saying the UFC won't sign Cyborg because they are protecting Rousey is as dumb as saying they won't sign Ben Askren because they are protecting Anthony Pettis.

I honestly think that signing with Tito was her biggest downfall. You want to get into the UFC and you sign with Tito Ortiz? The man that is most hated by the President of the company. Not smart.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Saying the UFC won't sign Cyborg because they are protecting Rousey is as dumb as saying they won't sign Ben Askren because they are protecting Anthony Pettis.

no its not because there is no talk from pettis or the ufc about him moving up a weight class to fight a has been that hasn't fought in five years but not askren.

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    I honestly think that signing with Tito was her biggest downfall. You want to get into the UFC and you sign with Tito Ortiz? The man that is most hated by the President of the company. Not smart.
    yes that was very stupid and probably did add to Dana's disdain for her.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 04-25-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Yea, nailed it

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

The UFC doesn't have a 145 division... If Rhonda went up to fight her what would happen next? If cyborg can get down to 135 and stay there she should get a shot...But to me, Any talk of bringing a fighter in to fight at a weight class that only they occupy is kinda silly. Cyborg should cut down to 135, have a few fights and that weight class, And if that goes well we can revisit this topic...

For the record Rhonda shouldn't be fight Gina out of her division... And Gina needs wins before a title shot... But when has the UFC given a shot about that? Lol
    Last edited by rspier; 04-25-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Well... no questioning where you stand on the issue! ha!

Thank you for the responses... it SEEMS that the forum is split pretty equally on this topic.

I appreciate the input.

One last question for anyone who cares to respond :

In a fight between Rousey and Cyborg at 135lbs... who wins?

Obviously I believe Cyborg would destroy Rousey... but I'm NOT a fortune teller... so I'd love to hear what y'all think.

I think cyborg wins, but doesn't destroy her....

People keep talking about how Ronda ducked Cyborg but if I remember correctly, it was literally right after Ronda beat the snot out of Kauffman that Cyborg went public demanding her release from StrikeForce / Zuffa banner because they did not have a 145 division (even though there was a 145 wmma fight on that very card - Hiroko Yamanaka and Germaine de Randamie). If someone was so inclined to do so, they might argue Cyborg was ducking Ronda at 135.

Also how do people even claim Ronda ducked Cyborg? Cyborg was busted for steriods (Dec 2011) and was suspended for all of 2012, Ronda had her bantom weight debut in March 2012 (last fight at 145 in Nov 2011). Was she supposed to shit around for a year in hopes Cyborg would return? Shit dont make sense.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 04-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information