Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Dana White Has Made Me a Cyborg Fan

Default How Dana White Has Made Me a Cyborg Fan

Just a general question... on a topic that has been driving me CRAZY :

Why isn't Cyborg in the UFC?

Anytime there is a dominant fighter outside of the UFC ranks, DW and Co. literally fall all over themselves trying to sign them.
    But with Cyborg... they don't want to touch her.

Yes... the press conference with Tito was stupid... and Yes... saying you might die if you drop to '35 was stupid... and Yes... taking steroids a few years ago was stupid...

But!

Tito is no longer involved in her career.
    She has expressed her willingness to fight at '35.
    And Cyborg is NOT the first nor only fighter to test positive for a PED.

My point?

Dana White is SO obviously terrified of Cyborg dethroning Rousey (and understandably so... Rousey is FAR more marketable than Cyborg to casual fans, sponsors, MEN in general, etc,.) that he will use any excuse to avoid facing reality... and that reality is that Cyborg deserves to be in the UFC and she is by FAR the best challenge for Ronda.

This seems to be SO transparent and obvious as to be almost hilarious.

So WHY is DW selling the shit he's selling? I mean, is ANYONE buying it?!?!

And what do you think about a fighter being SO blatantly and obviously "protected" like that?

(I am not saying Rousey would lose... but I am saying it's a possibility that scares the shit out of DW and is the REAL reason Cyborg is not in the UFC!)

Anyone agree? Disagree? I'd love to hear thoughts on this!

Cyborg wouldn't sign with the UFC because she would "die" losing the weight so she left for Invicta, she has yet to fight a 135lbs(MMA) so not sure what you're getting at........
    Last edited by Qball1974; 04-24-2014 at 08:31 PM.

I must be buying the shit he's selling, because it makes sense to me.

So someone who said they couldn't make the weight, or according to their doctor, could die or do permanent damage to their body. Someone who's never made that weight before. And someone who's yet to prove they could make that weight, even in a practice run.

Let's say they UFC signs her, for a fight with Rousey. Let's say she doesn't make weight. That's a ton of money down the drain. And now they have someone under contract that has no weight class to fight in. Immediate release. Huge waste of time and money (maybe millions).

Seems like pretty legit reasons not to sign her to a contract. She should do what Dana has already said she should do. See if she can make the weight, and then take a few fights (and win) at that weight. If she does that, and they still don't sign her, then fine, let the conspiracy theories fly. Until then, I think they are being pretty reasonable, certainly from a business standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    I must be buying the shit he's selling, because it makes sense to me.

So someone who said they couldn't make the weight, or according to their doctor, could die or do permanent damage to their body. Someone who's never made that weight before. And someone who's yet to prove they could make that weight, even in a practice run.

Let's say they UFC signs her, for a fight with Rousey. Let's say she doesn't make weight. That's a ton of money down the drain. And now they have someone under contract that has no weight class to fight in. Immediate release. Huge waste of time and money (maybe millions).

Seems like pretty legit reasons not to sign her to a contract. She should do what Dana has already said she should do. See if she can make the weight, and then take a few fights (and win) at that weight. If she does that, and they still don't sign her, then fine, let the conspiracy theories fly. Until then, I think they are being pretty reasonable, certainly from a business standpoint.
    But it's cool to sign Gina who has also never proved she could make 135?

Let's be honest here, Dana, Ronda and Ronda's fans are latching on to any excuse they can find because they all know beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Cyborg would demolish Ronda.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

5. Default

110% behind you Tyler. The womens division is shallow and built to keep Rousey as champ. Not signing fighters like Holm, or Cyborg show exactly how committed to keeping their chosen champ on the podium the UFC is.
    Someone who's never made that weight before. And someone who's yet to prove they could make that weight, even in a practice run.

Sorry, are you talking about Cyborg, or Gina? Your statement applies to both women, but I dont see the Rousey bandwagon around here screaming about Gina. At least Cyborg is still an active fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Dirten View Post

Anyone agree? Disagree? I'd love to hear thoughts on this!
    I think there maybe is a bit of a double standard in Cyborgs case when it comes to the PED use in comparison to others that are in the UFC that have been caught in the past.

It's one thing for a guy that has abused in the past to still fight because they don't walk into the ring looking significantly bigger and more muscular like Cyborg does in comparison to her female opponents. The potential for media backlash if she were to hurt someone seriously would be bad when she looks the way she does.

Personally I agree with Ronda's stance that Cyborg should come to 135 and fight here there just so there are no questions about the PED benefits that she may have taken advantage of in previous fights.

The women's division exists in the UFC because of pretty. When the face of the division ain't a pretty face, the division will fold.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

They didn't sign Gina not sure why you're hanging on to that it's all talk till it happens and we all know talk is cheap.

I hate PED use period so I wish they took a hard stance with EVERYONE.

I'd say other UFC divisions are just as shallow as the women's if not more, if you don't like women fighting well that's different.

Sure pretty sells always will, but wouldn't an ugly "clean" fighter that destroys everyone sell itself? I'd watch.....

I'm not a Cyborg fan. I think she probably juiced quite a bit for the bulk of her career and got caught. Simultaneously, I also think she's probably been clean since her suspension, or at least isn't any more likely to be juicing than anyone else in the industry, and I'm specifically including rousey in that statement. PED abuse has been rampant, and for all the posturing and smoke and mirrors dana and company have been throwing in front of media outlets, zuffa only cares when it impacts the bottom line.

But I detest the way rousey is marketed and the way the division is specifically kept shallow.

I think the most accurate statement is "the possibility that she'd lose" scares the shit out of dana and he'll do everything in his power to prevent that from happening. Which is sad and pathetic.

I think it's unfortunate that Santos's first real management was Tito, who is a buffoon when it comes to PR. She'd have been in a much, much better position if she simply let ronda and dana spew the garbage they spews and quietly maneuvered herself into a more unassailable position. She should have know they'd never willingly give up an edge, and she should have known that it would be a great accomplishment if she swallowed her pride and went down to ronda's weight and took her belt without any type of drama. She could have been working with a nutritionist, drop down to bantam and knocked out some wins. If she'd beaten Lauren Murphy [or whomever the champ currently is] there wouldn't be a leg for rousey or dana to stand on.

But in trying to maximize her own return on her investment, she's currently at the PR disadvantage, even if she's less reprehensable than the bullshit dana and ronda are pulling, because the clueless masses are going to say shit about juice and weight classes, and lap up rewritten history.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordofAres View Post
    But it's cool to sign Gina who has also never proved she could make 135?
    For the record, Gina fought at 135 in the beginning of her career.
    I have more of a problem with dana's and ronda's willingness to promote a title shot with a fighter who hasn't fought AT ALL in 5 years.
    What's worse is that they're not even going to try to get her to make the weight, they've announced that ronda would go up for that one bout.

Let's be honest here, Dana, Ronda and Ronda's fans are latching on to any excuse they can find because they all know beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Cyborg would demolish Ronda.
    I don't know that Santos would demolish her. I think she'd be favored, but for all her faults, ronda has legitimate talent. The frustrating part with zuffa's promotion of soooo many fighters is an unwillingness to let that world-class talent stand and prove itself against the best available--they always have to try grind the edge so that every factor is in their favor.

I get being afraid of risk/reward ratios. But it devalues the champs in question and delegitimizes the org under dana's leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    It's one thing for a guy that has abused in the past to still fight because they don't walk into the ring looking significantly bigger and more muscular like Cyborg does in comparison to her female opponents.
    I'm calling bullshit on that. Certainly Jones hasn't been linked to any steroid rumors, but dana is willing to pimp him as p4p the bestest and he generally boasts a double-digit length advantage over his opponents. Any supposed concern about fighter safety because of "bigger" fighters is a joke--unless that "bigger" fighter could ruin a perfectly good meal/lamborghini ticket. That's when the OMG-she-totes-got-caught-juicing-3-years-ago card gets waived around.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    They didn't sign Gina not sure why you're hanging on to that it's all talk till it happens and we all know talk is cheap.
    dana and ronda are actively promoting a fight with Gina, and with terms they wouldn't offer any currently legitimate fighter.

I'd say other UFC divisions are just as shallow as the women's if not more...
    Wait, WHAT?

Name them.

...if you don't like women fighting well that's different.
    who said anything about not appreciating or liking WMMA? Are you really resorting to that punkassed "oh, if you have any type of valid criticism, you must just be a hater" bullshit?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    For the record, Gina fought at 135 in the beginning of her career.
    rh
    You are correct, I was wrong. Her first fight was at 135, but I believe that was the only time she fought at 135. Still I think the hypocrisy of the situation is apparent.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Thread Information