Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everything Pre & Post UFC 172

Default Everything Pre & Post UFC 172

Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira, Phil Davis vs. Anthony Johnson staredown pic from UFC 172 media day in Baltimore

Dana White: Anthony Johnson will be cut, issued lifetime ban if he misses weight for UFC 172
    That's according to UFC President Dana White (via FOX Sports Marc Raimondi), who told reporters during today's (April 26, 2014) Ultimate Media Day from Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore, Maryland, that if "Rumble" misses weight for this weekend's (April 26, 2014) UFC 172 light heavyweight fight against Phil Davis, he will be cut and not be welcomed back.

Dana White scrum video full replay after UFC 172 'Ultimate Media Day' for 'Jones vs Teixeira'

Jon Jones on relationship with Dana White: 'I'll never be Chuck Liddell'

Glover Teixeira says he overtrained for Ryan Bader, didn't make same mistake for UFC 172

Phil Davis has a feeling Jon Jones won't make it to Saturday night

Anthony Johnson on being back in UFC: 'I don't hate everybody because I'm making weight'

Video: Don't like Jon Jones? UFC champ says Ali, Mayweather dealt with haters, too

Tim Boetsch on big underdog status at UFC 172: 'I've definitely got tough skin'

“I’ve definitely got tough skin when it comes to the oddsmakers and the so-called – well, the people that put their opinion out there, let’s put it out that way,” Boetsch joked. “Seeing those numbers and being the big underdog is nothing new for me. I don’t take offense to it. It actually makes me kind of happy.”

Phil Davis @PhilMrWonderful
    I'm hanging Jon Jones upside down. But not for the last time.

On Thursday at the UFC 172 media day, Davis focused more on UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones than on Saturday's opponent, Anthony "Rumble" Johnson.

"What I would do is I would charge right across the cage, punch Jon Jones in the face, take him down, beat him up and rip one of his arms off," said Davis as transcribed by Bleacher Report. "In fact, I would train with Ronda to get her technique down. She has a good armbar. It’s pretty nasty."

"He's the champ, and he needs to learn that I soon will be the champ. So he should probably just either just give it to me, which would be the easiest thing, or he could fight me and he could give it to me that way. Probably the easier way would be to just give it up, just walk over here and say, 'You know what? Honestly, I’m scared. I’m just going to give you the belt.'"

"Thus far, he’s been excellent inside the Octagon, but I will also say this. He’s also fought two guys that weren’t even light heavyweights. Really, though. It’s laughable at best. The fights that he’s had against actual light heavyweights, he’s been so-so. He’s had some ups and he’s had some downs against light heavyweights."

"If Jones got beat, that’s just proof that he’s a chicken and he lost to Glover so he didn’t have to fight me next."

And what about Anthony "Rumble" Johnson, the man he is fighting Saturday night live on PPV?

"Sir, how many times do I have to tell you?" Davis replied to a reporter. "Stop bringing up Anthony Johnson. How did we get back on this? We're talking about Jon Jones right now."

"[Johnson] hasn’t fought the top names at light heavyweight, and I’m going to give him his first introduction to what a real light heavyweight does. I honestly think Anthony Johnson has a game that is better suited for heavyweight, but maybe he needs to fight me to realize that."

Rumble: I was young and stupid, hit a wall, and grew

“I was young and stupid," said Johnson to the LVRJ. "Plain and simple. Stupid in the cage, stupid out of the cage. I was just stupid back then. I was just making dumb choices and not doing things the way I needed to. Just young and dumb and not caring as much as I should have. I can’t say I didn’t care because I did care. But my head just wasn’t completely in it.

“I don’t blame UFC and Dana for cutting me. They did what they had to do and I respect that."

Johnson matured into a light heavyweight The heavy-handed former JUCO national champ was won six fights in a row outside the UFC. Saturday night he makes his return, vs. Phil Davis at UFC 172, live on PPV.

“I haven’t thought about a second chance," said Johnson. "I kinda just went with the flow of life, and if it happened, it happened, and if it didn’t, it didn’t. I didn’t put all my eggs in the basket of getting back here. I was focused on performing for whoever I was working for at the time.”

“When I was first in UFC I was just an athlete that didn’t know much and was just relying on natural ability to get by. Now, I’m someone who actually loves the sport. It was fun back then, but it’s more fun now. I had to mature.”

“I finally hit the wall where I had no choice but to grow. Everybody has to go through that in their life. Every man has been through that point in their life where they think they know everything. You just have to hit that wall where you just realize I don’t know everything, and that’s when you start accepting things and become willing to expand your mind and learn.”

UFC 172 weigh ins replay: All fighters make weight

The UFC 172 weigh-in results included:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)

Champ Jon Jones (205) vs. Glover Teixeira (205) – for light heavyweight title
    Phil Davis (205.5) vs. Anthony Johnson (205)
    Tim Boetsch (185.5) vs. Luke Rockhold (185.5)
    Yancy Medeiros (155.5) vs. Jim Miller (155)
    Andre Fili (145) vs. Max Holloway (145)

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)

Joseph Benavidez (125.5) vs. Timothy Elliott (125.5)
    Takanori Gomi (155.5) vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg (155.5)
    Bethe Correia (135) vs. Jessamyn Duke (135.5)
    Charlie Brenneman (155.5) vs. Danny Castillo (156)

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 7:30 p.m. ET)

Chris Beal (135) vs. Patrick Williams (135)
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 04-26-2014 at 12:01 AM.

So Phil is taking tips from his friend Chapel I see, great.

5. 04-25-2014, 04:24 PM

Pic: Jon Jones and Rashad Evans all smiles after burying the hatchet backstage at UFC 172 weigh ins

Evans documented their encounter on Instagram, along with a pic from veteran shutterbug Ryan Loco:

It's been a long time since @jonnybones and myself got a chance to catch up. I'm glad we did! If you are blessed enough, life has a way of bringing you around again. Good luck tomorrow @jonnybones! Living the blessed life! #ufc172

Jones responded on Twitter with, "All respect @SugaRashadEvans that was great."

The science of Jones' reach advantage

Evans picking Johnson to smash, KO Davis
    As a fellow light heavyweight in the UFC, Rashad Evans recently gave his take on the fight:

"AJ is going to be tough. AJ is going to be up there. I think AJ is going to be one of the best guys in the division. I think he is going to smash Phil Davis. I believe he is going to smash him. I love Phil Davis progression. I think Phil has come along and he is starting to come into his own as a fighter and starting to figure out his game a little more which has been impressive, but I think he's not ready for somebody like AJ. He is going to be too physical. AJ is going to be too strong and he hits like hard, hard. I think he is going to knock Phil out."

UFC 172's Phil Davis: He said what?!?

Big brother Arthur Jones still protective of UFC champ Jon Jones

“At the end of the day, I’m still the older brother, so I always want to protect him,” newly signed Indianapolis Colts defensive lineman Arthur Jones said. “It’s one of those things where when he’s in the cage, I feel like I’m in the cage, too.’

The 26-year-old Jon (19-1) is the UFC’s current light heavyweight champion, and he’s positioned as the top pound-for-pound fighter in the sport in the latest USA TODAY Sports MMA rankings. On Saturday, the champ meets hard-hitting Brazilian Glover Teixeira (22-2) in the headlining bout of “UFC 172: Jones vs. Teixeira,” which takes place at Maryland’s Baltimore Arena and airs on pay-per-view (9 p.m. CT).

Arthur, a former Baltimore Raven who was on the team’s Super Bowl XLVII-winning roster, will return to Charm City on Saturday night, where he’ll be cageside for his brother’s fight alongside the pair’s other brother, 24-year-old New England Patriots defensive lineman Chandler Jones. Arthur admits it’s a stressful position, even if he does boast supreme confidence in Jon’s abilities.

“It’s nerve-racking,” Arthur admitted. “I have teammates that are there with me, but I tell them, ‘Don’t bother me.’ We’ll talk while everyone else is fighting, but when it comes to the main event, when Jon’s fighting, I have to shut down. My adrenaline is pumping like, ‘Here we go.’

“I get more of a rush just knowing he’s getting ready to fight than when I’m on the field. When I’m on the field, I can try and control the outcome. You never know what’s going to happen in the octagon.”

By most accounts, things should go favorably for Jon, who oddsmakers have installed as a 5-to-1 favorite. Teixeira does boast incredible knockout power in his strikes, but Jon thinks the variety in his own arsenal will provide him with an advantage in the cage.

“Glover’s best strength is his knockout power,” Jon said. “I respect that, but I’m also not worried about that. I’m just going to be extremely versatile, because I know it’s tough for my opponents when they don’t know what’s going on. I want to make him like a deer in headlights, all confused. That’s what I’m going to do.”

Arthur, who said he helps his brother study film of his opponents before every fight, agrees with the assessment.

The new defensive end likes how the Colts are put together for the future.

“Jon is unpredictable,” Arthur said. “You never know what he’s going to do in the cage. He can attack you from so many different angles, and that’s what has helped him do so well in the UFC.”

Despite just six years as a professional, Jon is already considered one of the best fighters in the history of the UFC. His six successful defenses of the light heavyweight title are a promotional record, and he admits his goal is to establish himself as the greatest of all time.

Arthur believes Jon is perfectly capable of reaching that status, but even with supreme confidence in his brother’s skills, Arthur knows he’ll be a mess on Saturday night. Even with the experience of winning a Super Bowl under his belt, Arthur said there is simply nothing like the feeling of wanting to protect a relative from harm, even if that kinsman is more than capable of handling himself.

“My heart is racing,” Arthur said. “I usually have a tear running down my eye when Jon walks out. My brother is my best friend. It’s just a crazy adrenaline rush, but I love the sport.”
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 04-25-2014 at 11:59 PM.

Its funny how Arthur was the starter on a super bowl winning defense and is a significantly worse athlete than his two younger brothers.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

8. Default

Tommy Toe Hold
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

UFC 172's Bethe Correia convinced Jessamyn Duke's height won't be an issue

“I am confident it will be a very active fight,” the undefeated 30-year-old told MMAjunkie. “As far as her being tall, I’m ready for that. My camp put focus on that, so I’m not unprepared.

“Besides, not only do I train with taller people, I’ve already faced two girls just as tall as Jessamyn. Training is about adapting, and I’ll well-adapted.”

Correia and Duke fight on tonight’s FOX Sports 1-preliminary card at Maryland’s Baltimore Arena. It’s one of the more intriguing prelims before the event shifts to pay-per-view for the main card.

Essentially a pick-’em fight according to oddsmakers and the betting public, Correia believes her experience more than makes up for the physical disadvantages she’ll experience against Duke, who entered the UFC after her stint on “The Ultimate Fighter 18″ this past year.

Correia has logged more time as a pro, registering 20 rounds to Duke’s eight. And though Duke’s experience on “TUF 18″ probably helped with the dreaded octagon jitters, Correia is just as comfortable in the UFC following her promotional-debut win over 29-fight veteran Julie Kedzie in December.

“I was very anxious,” Correia said of the bout, which she won via split decision. “The UFC is overwhelming, and to start off against an opponent with such a level of experience, it was a great challenge. But we did a great job preparing for that fight, so I wasn’t intimidated by this new situation. Gladly, I was able to fight my fight and get the win.”

To prepare for Duke, the former accountant has been working with her usual stable of training partners in Brazil. She’s modeled her aggression and willingness to engage after those fighters.

“First, I’m very thankful to Mario Novaes at Pitbull Brothers MMA, who’s widely recognized as one of the top conditioning coaches in Brazil,” she said. “The person who guides me in every facet of training is Patricio Freire, who is a great strategist as well as a great fighter. There’s also Patricky, his brother, who moved back to be with us in Natal. Natal is where we gain confidence and boost our warrior spirit. Everyone is our team is truly helpful, like (Anistavio) ‘Gasparzinho’ Medeiros and Rony Jason.

“If there are any difficulties in training, they always take the time to guide me with great advice. We also have a nutritionist. We have everything we need in Natal.”

Jon Jones on former teammate Rashad Evans: ‘I honestly missed him’

10. Default

After Bethe Correia defeated Jessamyn Duke at UFC 172 she called out Ronda Rousey by doing this
    http://middleeasy.com/fighting/item/...-by-doing-this

This should go without explaining, but Ronda Rousey is part of a group called the '4 Horsewomen' alongside Marina Shafir, Jessamyn Duke, and Shayna Baszler. Shortly after Correia defeated Duke, she held four fingers up, and then slowly put down in as if to say there's only three left for her to fight. Interesting.

UFC 172 bonuses: Gomi, Vallie-Flagg, Benavidez, Beal win $50,000
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/04/ufc-172...beal-win-50000

Takanori Gomi, Isaac Vallie-Flagg, Joseph Benavidez and Chris Beal each earned $50,000 bonuses for their work at Saturday’s UFC 172 event.

Benavidez and Beal earned “Performance of the Night” awards, and Gomi and Vallie-Flagg took home “Fight of the Night” honors.

UFC President Dana White announced the winners at the night’s post-fight press conference, which MMAjunkie attended.

Gomi (35-9 MMA, 4-4 UFC) and Vallie-Flagg (14-5-1 MMA, 1-2 UFC) engaged in a classic three-round slugfest on the preliminary card. Vallie-Flagg got the better of things early in the fight, but in the second and third rounds, Gomi came alive and left his opponent a bloody mess on his way to a unanimous decision in his first fight since March 2013.

Benavidez (20-4 MMA, 7-2 UFC) pulled off one of the most unique finishes in recent memory against Timothy Elliott (10-5-1 MMA, 2-3 UFC). Elliott gave Benavidez some early fits. But in a scramble, Benavidez got to full mount, trapped both of Elliott’s hands and locked in a guillotine choke. With no arms free to tap with, and the choke so tight he couldn’t verbally submit, Elliott was forced to tap out with his feet.

Beal (9-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) had a sensational official UFC debut at the expense of Patrick Williams (7-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC). A textbook flying knee knocked Williams out in the second round after a competitive first round that saw a frenetic pace from both fighters.

UFC 172 took place at Maryland’s Baltimore Arena. The main card aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

UFC 172 draws 13,485 attendance for $2.3 million live gate
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/04/ufc-172...-for-live-gate

Saturday’s UFC 172 event at Baltimore Arena, which marked the UFC’s debut in Maryland, drew an announced attendance of 13,485 and a live gate of $2.3 million.

UFC President Dana White announced the tallies at the post-fight press conference. Official figures should be available later in the week.
    White said the gate number was the second largest in Baltimore Arena history, with only a Rolling Stones concert ahead of UFC 172.

Luke Rockhold broke his toe during UFC 172 win over Tim Boetsch
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/27...h-ufc-172-news

Luke Rockhold may have earned a dominant victory at UFC 172 but he certainly didn't come out of it unscathed.

The former Strikeforce middleweight champion revealed in his post-fight interview with Joe Rogan that he believes his toe is "pretty messed up" but was still overjoyed with his impressive performance.

"I felt my toe pop out early. Its not quite Jon Jones, but its still pretty messed up," Rockhold said in his post-fight interview. "That reverse triangle, that's my bread and butter. I come with different angles. That's like second nature for me. I always go for that Kimura finish."
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    After Bethe Correia defeated Jessamyn Duke at UFC 172 she called out Ronda Rousey by doing this
    http://middleeasy.com/fighting/item/...-by-doing-this

UFC 172 bonuses: Gomi, Vallie-Flagg, Benavidez, Beal win $50,000
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/04/ufc-172...beal-win-50000

UFC 172 draws 13,485 attendance for $2.3 million live gate
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/04/ufc-172...-for-live-gate

Luke Rockhold broke his toe during UFC 172 win over Tim Boetsch
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/27...h-ufc-172-news
    Holy shit that's a really, really good gate especially for a place that I don't even think is in the top 25 in terms of top markets in the US.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information