Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everything Pre & Post UFC 172

what an amazing card. selecting those POTN bonuses was probably really hard. hope all the guys with the finishes got some extra bonuses for their performances. iven't actually had a good fight night card for a while and ufc 172 certainly delivered it for me

2. Default

Jim Miller wants fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov after UFC 172 win
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/04/jim-mil...er-ufc-172-win

Lightweight veteran Jim Miller headlined the first UFC card on which Khabib Nurmagomedov fought, but he would now welcome a chance to fight the surging Dagestani.

“I love that fight,” Miller said after a first-round submission win at UFC 172. “I know how to strike, I know how to grapple, and I sure know how to wrestle, too. So I love that one.”

Miller tapped out Yancy Medeiros with a guillotine choke in the first round of their bout on the Saturday event’s pay-per-view main card. It was his second consecutive win following a submission loss to Pat Healy that later was overturned when Healy tested positive for marijuana.

The submission brought Miller (24-4 MMA, 13-3 UFC) kudos from UFC President Dana White, who said he liked the potential matchup with Nurmagomedov (22-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC).

“Yeah, anything’s possible,” said White. “We’ve got to get back home and figure it out.”
    Two years ago, Miller put a definitive halt to the rise of another surging lightweight. In the headliner of UFC on FX 1, he submitted Melvin Guillard, who had won five straight before a submission loss to Joe Lauzon endangered his title prospects.

A win over Nurmagomedov would do wonders for Miller’s career in the 155-pound division. “The Eagle” has won five straight since his successful debut at UFC on FX 1 and recently notched a high-profile win over top-10 ranked Rafael dos Anjos. It would help the UFC, too, which has struggled to find opponents willing to tussle with the Sambo and wrestling standout. It might even help Nurmagomedov, who’s called out name opponents such as Nate Diaz to no avail.

Bethe Correia interested in fights with the rest of the ‘Four Horsewomen’ stable
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/27...en-fights-news

Bethe Correia is not satisfied with just one victory over a 'Four Horsewomen' member; she wants the entire team.

The undefeated Brazilian bantamweight spoke to the media following her unanimous decision victory over Jessamyn Duke at UFC 172, where she discussed her three-finger gesture at the ‘Four Horsewomen' following the bout, as well as why she is interested in match-ups with the remaining members of the team.

"They were tweeting and provoking me all the time," Correia said in her post-fight scrum. "One of them is called a ‘weapon' in Brazil - the way we translate it - and I just want to say that I'm bulletproof.

"One is already gone. I am ready for three more."
    The ‘Four Horsewomen' team consists of UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, longtime teammate Marina Shafir, as well as TUF 18 veterans Shayna Baszler and Jessamyn Duke.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

3. Default

Anthony Johnson happy with UFC 172 win over Phil Davis but does not consider himself a title contender yet
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/27...ready-ufc-news

Anthony Johnson is back.

"Rumble" picked up arguably the biggest victory of his career to date when he dominated Phil Davis en route to a dominant unanimous decision win at UFC 172. The victory extended his streak to seven consecutive win, with his last loss being a submission to Vitor Belfort back at UFC 142.

When asked at the post-fight conference if he felt any pressure heading into the fight against the No. 4 ranked light-heavyweight, Johnson stated that he was simply out there to have fun.

"It didn't bother me at all," Johnson said at the post-fight press conference. "I didn't feel any pressure. I was just out there having fun."
    The reason behind Johnson's previous release from the UFC was not so much his record as it was his inability to make the 170lb. weight limit during his tenure with the promotion. He missed weight on three different occasions, including his fight with Belfort, which was later changed into a 197lb. catchweight bout.

Apart from his apparent relief after a successful return to the octagon, Johnson also expressed his gratitude to the UFC and Dana White for taking the decision to bring him back.

While some, including UFC colour commentator Joe Rogan, would not mind seeing Johnson propelled into the light-heavyweight title picture after his performance tonight against Davis, he personally does not believe he is "on the level" of Jon Jones yet and is simply "taking it one fight at a time."

"I have a ton of respect for him [Jon Jones]. He is the champ, but I also know that I have to put in the work to be a real contender. Just because I have this win tonight doesn't make me, in my opinion, a contender. So I am just taking it one fight at a time."

Luke Rockhold Wants to Earn UFC Title Shot; Will Gladly “Shut Up” Michael Bisping Along the Way
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/luke-rockho...-along-the-way

Luke Rockhold wants his next fight to earn him a shot at the middleweight title, and he has a list of fighter he thinks will get him that opportunity.

But if Rockhold can pick who to fight based on a desire to handle a personal vendetta, it would be Michael Bisping.

“Bisping’s a guy that opened his mouth and he’s still running it,” Kennedy said at the UFC 172 post-fight press conference. “I don’t think Tim Kennedy closed it yet, so I’d love to shut him up for good.”
    Immediately following his win over Tim Boetsch on the evening’s main card, Rockhold said he desired a rematch with Vitor Belfort. The two faced off at a recent UFC Fight Night card in Brazil, and Belfort knocked Rockhold out in the first round.

The loss is one Rockhold said he’d like to get back, but UFC president Dana White said Belfort first has to clear up a situation the fighter has in Nevada.

“Vitor’s gotta clear up his Las Vegas issues,” White said, referring to Belfort’s recent drug test with Nevada. The results of that test are yet to be made public.
    The other contender is none other than former middleweight champion Anderson Silva, who suffered a gruesome leg break against Chris Weidman at UFC 168 last December. Silva is planning to return to fighting by year’s end, White said, and Rockhold liked the idea of a potential match-up with “The Spider.”

“He’ll be back at the end of the year for sure,” White proclaimed.
    Regardless of the next fight, though — whether it be against Belfort, Silva, or a grudge match with Bisping — Rockhold reiterated that he wants to earn his shot at gold, and he wants to do it against the toughest competition he can get his gloves on.

“Looking at the division right now,” Rockhold said. “There’s not much ahead of me that’s active. Anderson’s out, Vitor — who knows when he’s coming back. I want that fight.”
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

UFC 172 post-fight facts: Jon Jones sets numerous light heavyweight records

Jones earned his 14th UFC light heavyweight victory, surpassing Chuck Liddell and Rashad Evans for the wins in modern 205-pound history.

Jones’ 11-fight UFC winning streak is the longest active streak in the light heavyweight division and the longest in the history of the weight class.

Jones’ 11-fight UFC winning streak is tied with Royce Gracie for the third longest all-time in company history behind Anderson Silva (16) and Georges St-Pierre (12).

Jones’ seven consecutive UFC light heavyweight title defenses are the most in divisional history. His title defense run is the third longest of any champion in company history behind Silva (10) and St-Pierre (nine).

Jones recorded his eighth victory in a UFC championship fight, the fifth most in company history behind St-Pierre (12), Silva (11), Matt Hughes (nine) and Randy Couture (nine).

Jones’ 138 significant strikes landed were the most ever in a UFC light heavyweight title fight. They were the also the fourth most ever in a UFC championship bout.

Jones has now landed 824 significant strikes in his UFC tenure, passing Forrest Griffin (796) for the most in light heavyweight history.

Jones has landed a total of 1,036 strikes overall in his UFC career, the third most in light heavyweight history behind Tito Ortiz (1,241) and Griffin (1,096).

Jones avoided all five of his opponent’s takedown attempts, boosting his overall takedown defense rate to 96.6 percent (28 of 29), the best defense percentage of any fighter in UFC history.

Thread Information