Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 172 Discussion

1. Default

There was nothing at all accidental about those eye pokes, as evidenced by Jones' continued use of open hands to the face, even after the ref's warnings.

I don't feel he did the eye pokes intentionally. Lots of fighters have their hands this way and keep reaching. Fighters accidentally kick to the grown, but they don't stop leg kicks during the fight.

As for the oblique kicks; they are legal. Fighters are in the hurting business, that is the point of a fight.

Great card. Best one I've seen in a long time. I'm glad AJ did as well as he did, even if I'd bet he'd KO Davis in the first round. People forget that he started as a wrestler, I'm glad he had the opportunity to remind them.

The main event went about the same way I thought it would.

I think Jones pretty much exactly illustrated why I don't have him p4p elite. It's one thing to use reach to stay at range and slip punches, it's another entirely to have multiple eye-pokes--I counted 3, although I don't know that any were 100% intentional--and use those cheap oblique kicks to make space. And yes, I know oblique kicks are within the rules. But they sucked when Anderson did it, and they suck now. I'd be more inclined to give Jones the credit his fans do if he wasn't a dirty fighter. But I freely admit that I was biased, even before last night. I don't hate him, but I don't admire him, either.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Evans should absolutely drop to 185 and demand a rematch with Machida. That is the biggest blemish on his reccord and will haunt him for eternity if he doesnt avenge himself.
    If he drops down, he should immediately ask for a fight with Bisping. Pip has been saying for years that he didn't really lose to Evans, so he should be willing to take the fight. It would be a good fight, a potential big seller, and it should be a fight that Evans wins pretty easily. It puts him on the map at MW, gets him ranked and his name in people's mouths, and would set up the Machida rematch nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by FedortheCan View Post
    Then the UFC should make some rule changes. Bones is not the only fighter, who when they backpedal away from strikes, stick their arm out with fingers extended. However Bones might be the only fighter Ive seen constantly palming peoples heads. I assume he does it because it must be annoying as f**k to have that done to them. So of course with how much he does it, there is going to be the accidental eye poke now and then. If UFC doesn't like those things, they can make some simple rule changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this wouldn't be a UFC issue but rather an issue the commissions would have to look in to?
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Not sure but the UFC can't make those changes. Wouldn't it be up to the comission?
    The UFC can indeed make changes to that effect. They can't take something that the commissions have outlawed and make it legal, but they increase restrictions if they choose. I've seen minor league bouts where the org outlawed elbows [ala PRIDE FC] but they couldn't add soccer kicks or stomps.

I don't think they will however.

dana likes to play lip service when there is outrage, but he doesn't want to mess with a formula that is going to bring in money. Jones is a strong earner but not a great draw, I can't imagine they'd do anything to impugn his PR anymore than Jones does all by himself.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I was surprised that he was not warned earlier for the fingers to the eyes. And then to continue to walk forward jabbing out his fingers after being warned just seemed wrong. Usually the referee warns the fighter to keep his hands closed in such a situation after an eye poke warnings.

Oblique kicks: Legal, so not problem with that.

Twisting of the arm in the 1st (or second): Again, legal, so not problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    There was nothing at all accidental about those eye pokes, as evidenced by Jones' continued use of open hands to the face, even after the ref's warnings.

I liked how Jones wrenched Glover's arm like that.

honestly, that's just as much Dan's problem as Jones' problem. A competent official is going to need to put a stop to bullshit wherever it occurs. Fighters are going to look for the edge of the envelope, particularly if it's not enforced.

I'd like to see a situation where fighters who have been warned before in a previous fight get reminded of it for the next fight. So in the preliminaries, they say to someone like Kongo "look, you've been warned about low blows in the past, so I'm telling you now, before the action starts--the first low blow, I take a point. If it happens again, your DQ'd. Understand?"

I have a huge bias against dirty fighters--I'd been a Henderson fan for years, but his shots to the back of the head have gotten stupid over the last few years, and I just can't support that.

But I don't like the concept of a fighter getting a clean slate every time they come out, when they have a history of douchery. I'm not calling for someone to have stuff held against them from years ago when they've fought cleanly in the mean time, but for them to come out and get a free ball-shot or a free eye poke every fight is bullshit.

I'd also like to see oblique kicks outlawed. I get that they're legal, but I disagree with it, and can't respect anyone who goes for it, much like Anderson fans freaked out about the entirely-legal knee check Weidman broke Silva's leg with.
    But I get that it's a personal perspective, and that not everyone will agree with it.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Because he's champ he will get away with all that dirty shit. Its not like its his first time, he does dirty shit every fight. Just more ppl started noticing in this one. I mean he's probably the only loser on the ufc roster who's been disqualified for intentional dirty strikes.

Pfft. The amount of nuthugging by Rogan and Goldberg during the Jones fight was just disgusting, or well by Goldberg at least. Rogan managed to mention Glover in a positive light at least few times.

And for fucks sake Dan, if you warn a fighter about his fucking fingers sticking out, take the fucking point away from him if he just keeps at it through out the fight even if he doesn't actually manage to hit the opponent with them. It's a fucking disgrace how much Jones is allowed to "cheat" with his fingers sticking out in every fucking fight or at least give the opponent a machete to chop those damn fingers off. I'm pretty sure at this point, I could just paste my comments from the last Jones fight about his fingers and just change the name of his opponent and the post would be valid.

But yeah, Jones being a dirty fighter is hardly new, or newst at this point. Too bad the UFC / referees decide to allow his blatant dirty tricks in pretty much every damn fight.

And for fucks sake, ban those stupid oblique kicks already. These guys have enough injuries as it is, don't need such dirty kicks adding to that injury list. Didn't like them when A. Silva used them and sure as hell don't like them nowadays either.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

I dont see jones as a dirty fighter really. I think/guess that these complaints seem more to stem from distain for jones than reality. Jones is trrying to distract annd annoy the opponent by putting his hand inthe faceimo not be dirty with pokes. After the warning I thought it oooked like jones made more of an effort to put his hand on thr top of the head instead of onthe face. To me it feels a lot more dirty when a guy is pawing with an open hand continually. This happens all the time. I cant remember the last time I saw a point taken away for eye pokes.

I agree that more shoukd be done to avoid eye pokes. The pawing is a greater issue than what jones was doing imo. I also think more shouod be done when a fighter grabs the fence. I get why people dont like jones, but dont get how he gets so much more complaints than ive seen other fighters abiut being dirty.

Thread Information