Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread: UFC 172 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Transworld View Post
    Pawing to the head is what every wrestler has done since we were little kids.
    mmm pawing to more the top of the head/forehead and not the face from my experience... and if the hand is to the face its more parallel to the face and not perpendicular (you can just take many photos where his fingers are parallel) its like the balls of the hand (the end of the fingers not the palm cuz the palm would over-extend you and make it easy to shoot on)

so im not quite sure what youre saying.. if you paw at my face with fingers parallel I would just get wrist control (a flexed hand makes that harder)

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I wonder how competitive it would be though with all the scores so close together though? The majority of us are selecting at least 50-75% of the same fight winners, it is selecting the correct round or finish which is allowing some to take a real lead.
    Maybe just decide winners and bonuses?

I don't know. I kinda like the way it is at the moment. I'm up for anything though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    Actually no I do not think he should have gotten an automatic rematch. The only time I think someone could make a case for it is Sonnen and I never said he deserved one, I just said he had the best case to make.

If the challenger loses then I do not think he should ever get an automatic rematch unless you can prove that the ending was fucked up. Other wise it sets a standard like the one we have now where oh will if the challenger does really good and pushes the champion then he gets an automatic rematch.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but no matter how you felt about the Shogun Machida fight your opinion didn't mean dick in getting a rematch. All that mattered was Dana's opinion. And in his opinion all he saw was $$. So by Shogun getting an immediate rematch as a challenger fans were doing nothing but catering to Dana and setting a standard that many complain about today. I am sorry, but why even have judges (no matter how uneducated) if someone doesn't agree with there dec and can just re book the match? It just sets a bad standard all around and it is not the same as a champ getting an immediate rematch (something I am not sold on either). The only time it was really cut and dry for a champ getting an automatic rematch was Couture against Belfort.

No body ever proved that the judges got it wrong in Shogun vs Machida. They just proved that in there opinion based on there scoring the fight that the judges were wrong. Hell people score close fights differently all the time. Neither fighter came close to finishing the first fight. Neither guy was beating the shit out of the other for 5 rounds. It was a close fight. Close should never equal immediate rematch.

So no, I do not think any of the challengers should have got an immediate rematch. It sets a standard that opens pandora's box. How many threads did we have about BJ getting a rematch, or Sonnen, with people bitching that this was getting old with all the rematches. Well in my opinion if its good enough for Shogun its good enough for all close fights. I just dont think its right for ANY of them.
    Everyone in the entire world except for you apparently thought Shogun won and should get a rematch, not just Dana. How does winning 4 rounds convincingly and possibly winning all five warrant a close fight? Also how has the decision not been proving to be wrong? Shogun dominating him in every element fight metric and pretty much all people in the universe except four called the fight for shogun.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 04-27-2014 at 11:56 PM.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

No everyone did not think Shogun got screwed. Go ahead. Look back I'll wait.

Had it been someone with out the following of shogun a rematch wouldn't have happened. It was a close fight. Anyone who claims the fight was in no way close is being biased which kinda leads to my point. It sets a standard that dilutes the meaning of a title fight.

If you would actually read post on here instead of rambling on when you disagree with someone you would realize that I never said oh machida won the fight. I never even said how I scored the fight. What I said was that a challenger should never get an immediate rematch if they lose a close Dec. People talk about how title shots are given to undeserving people all the time yet when one of there favorite fighters loses a close fight by Dec all of the sudden history is revised and it wasn't even a close fight?

Do you really think that giving a challenger 2 fights in a row because the first one was close really doesn't do the same or more damage to the status of the title than giving a title fight to a guy who didn't deserve it?

If GSP didn't retire should have Hendricks been given an immediate rematch? What about Edgar vs Aldo?

My point is really simple. Unless you can prove the judges screwed the fighter (fixed the fight) then tough shit. The rules are simple. If you go to Dec the fight is in the judges hands. My score card and your score card don't mean shit. If someone, in this case Dana can say yes I don't think that's the right Dec let's fight again then why have judges? Why not just say if the fight isn't finished we will call it a tie and you guys fight again. All this crying about how this release or this rank hurts MMA as a legitimate sport yet everyone is all for a guy they like getting an immediate rematch if they like him or don't like the champ. How is that not hurting the sport when 1 man can say nope you got wrong let's do it again?

Now truthfully I probably wouldn't care that shogun got an immediate rematch as much if it wouldn't have set a precedent of close fights getting immediately rematched. I still wouldn't think a challenger should get an immediate rematch but I could accept a 1 off exception not it becoming the norm.

As fat as anyone proving the judges got it wrong....no they didn't. They proved that in there opinion the judges were wrong. Bit anything such as MMA scoring is too subjective to be cut and dry. It is funny that you mention fight metric. Next you will be referring to sherdogs fight finder. Neither tells the whole story.

Oh and one more. What about Lawler? I guess he should have a title fight next too

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    No everyone did not think Shogun got screwed. Go ahead. Look back I'll wait.

Had it been someone with out the following of shogun a rematch wouldn't have happened. It was a close fight. Anyone who claims the fight was in no way close is being biased which kinda leads to my point. It sets a standard that dilutes the meaning of a title fight.

If you would actually read post on here instead of rambling on when you disagree with someone you would realize that I never said oh machida won the fight. I never even said how I scored the fight. What I said was that a challenger should never get an immediate rematch if they lose a close Dec. People talk about how title shots are given to undeserving people all the time yet when one of there favorite fighters loses a close fight by Dec all of the sudden history is revised and it wasn't even a close fight?

Do you really think that giving a challenger 2 fights in a row because the first one was close really doesn't do the same or more damage to the status of the title than giving a title fight to a guy who didn't deserve it?

If GSP didn't retire should have Hendricks been given an immediate rematch? What about Edgar vs Aldo?

My point is really simple. Unless you can prove the judges screwed the fighter (fixed the fight) then tough shit. The rules are simple. If you go to Dec the fight is in the judges hands. My score card and your score card don't mean shit. If someone, in this case Dana can say yes I don't think that's the right Dec let's fight again then why have judges? Why not just say if the fight isn't finished we will call it a tie and you guys fight again. All this crying about how this release or this rank hurts MMA as a legitimate sport yet everyone is all for a guy they like getting an immediate rematch if they like him or don't like the champ. How is that not hurting the sport when 1 man can say nope you got wrong let's do it again?

Now truthfully I probably wouldn't care that shogun got an immediate rematch as much if it wouldn't have set a precedent of close fights getting immediately rematched. I still wouldn't think a challenger should get an immediate rematch but I could accept a 1 off exception not it becoming the norm.

As fat as anyone proving the judges got it wrong....no they didn't. They proved that in there opinion the judges were wrong. Bit anything such as MMA scoring is too subjective to be cut and dry. It is funny that you mention fight metric. Next you will be referring to sherdogs fight finder. Neither tells the whole story.

Oh and one more. What about Lawler? I guess he should have a title fight next too
    Not actually sure what you're waiting for...you want me to go back and find every single person's account of the fight?

Yeah I have to say I immediately tune out anyone that says that fight wasn't close. Its unfortunate people try to argue outside of good reason.

Jones looked very dominant once again. He kept doing with Teixeira all he wanted. Let's see how he does against Gustafsson the second time.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jelyman View Post
    Yeah I have to say I immediately tune out anyone that says that fight wasn't close. Its unfortunate people try to argue outside of good reason.
    You were probably one of those "Machida Era" people who got thoroughly embarrassed by the fact that he got clearly beaten the first time he tried to defend his title and then got brutally knocked out the second time then lost to a past his prime has been in Rampage.

Machida was one of the most overhyped and overrated fighters in UFC history. What Jones is achieving now is what all the Machida Era people were claiming was going to happen with Machida. He's got some solid wins and cool knock outs but has some bad loses and controversial decisions which are in no way indicative of a dominating fighter. His career has been good but not great. Hopefully, Weidman beats him.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 04-28-2014 at 04:49 AM.

When i first watched Machida vs Shogun 1, I thought shogun clearly got robbed, especially with joe rogans commentary. I since rewatched the fight and it seemed incredibly close. Shogun kept landing those leg kicks, but machida landed quite a few knees to the body.

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Thread Information