Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So who should Johnson get next?

Quote Originally Posted by braddahmatt View Post
    Its not illegal... its as legal as a keylock, pretty much the same thing only standing.
    no what I meant and what he said is it is "potentially dangerous" in amateur wrestling and the ref would stop it so he was never able to pull it off there... and he was happy to pull it off in MMA despite acknowledging its dirty.. which is my point its not "illegal" but he knew it was frowned upon and did it anyway

its kind of in the same vein of Palhares and heel hooks/ankle locks... everyone knows how dangerous/damaging those techniques can be but to specialize in that move is just shady (not including his proclivity to not let go of subs) its just one of those things that you would never try to do hard with your training partner but are willing to do to an opponent... its "legal" but not ethical to a lot of ppl.. a lot of the worst villains in history are the ppl that are willing to do what the average person wont and that's up to you to judge how you feel about those actions... I feel its not in the spirit of MMA so I choose not to endorse this fighter by not watching him
    Last edited by singinkangaroooo; 04-27-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Its legal in MMA .However, you dont use that move in practice since it can hurt your partner. Its a result of NOT having the underhook in far enough, giving your opponent leverage
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Alright everyone pump the brakes just a tad bit here. It was his first fight back in the UFC and he came in ranked #14. Let's build him up before he have him fighting the top of the top. In last night's PPV thread, I listed the following fighters who do not have a fight coming up.

Not currently ranked in the top 10:
    - Ovince St. Preux
    - James Te Huna
    - Ryan Jimmo

And those ranked in the top 10:
    #8 - Shogun Rua
    #10 - Jimi Manuwa

You can go as low as Te Huna to build up his highlight reel, let the division sort itself out, or go all the way to Shogun, feed Johnson a aging legend that would strike with him.
    Te-Huna is dropping to middleweight to fight Marquardt.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Ah, my bad. I thought it was because he had the underhook in too deep.
    Nope. When you have an underhook, you want it to be as deep as possible since it gives you more leverage. Glover repeatedly placed his arm in a weak underhook position, enabling Jones to capitalize.

On topic, Johnson should face Bader or Shogun next. Somebody in the middle of the pack, but not too high ranked.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by singinkangaroooo View Post
    its something he thought of in wrestling wayyy back in the day and its illegal.. he said at the press conference hes had it in his back pocket forever and just found a time to use it... he even called it dirty during the conference but was glad he used it *shrug*

you just hyperextend/torque the overhook to make it a shoulder lock while standing
    Thanks for the explanation.
    And to everyone else who posted.

I am going to have to rewatch the fight to see exactly what went down... but at least I know what I'm looking for now.
    Thanks guys.

What about a rematch with belfort? It could be pretty interesting with Johnson not killing himself to make weight. That is if belfort would fight at 205

Quote Originally Posted by Jelyman View Post
    What about a rematch with belfort? It could be pretty interesting with Johnson not killing himself to make weight. That is if belfort would fight at 205
    I guess it depends on what weight class he wants to stay at.. Rockhold really wants to fight him and Dana seems supportive when Vitor gets his Las Vegas problem handled... they both looked really good so id be down for Vitor to lose to either (I think he stands a better shot vs Rumble probably)

Thread Information