Thread: Thoughts on Cowboy Cerrone stepping in to face Ben Henderson

Default Thoughts on Cowboy Cerrone stepping in to face Ben Henderson

I decided that I wanted to say something about this after I realized that this will be his 6th fight is a 12 month span. The subject of fighter pay has been discussed at great lengths. Most people think that the fighters should be better compensated. I have always been on the side of they get paid pretty well for only working 1-3 times a year. I don't believe that their employer owes them for their preparation for the fight. Now don't get me wrong, if the fighter negotiated a better deal, then good for them, but it shouldn't be forced, in my opinion. On to my actual point, Donald Cerrone actually solves a whole lot of problems, including the one that I just mentioned.

If a fighter actually fought 4-6 times a year, even at the lowest pay level the UFC has, then they would all make a pretty decent salary. Let's say for instance, a guy fights 4 times in a year, goes 2-2, and gets no performance bonuses. That's pretty much the definition of mediocre, right? Add in that the guy is making the company minimum, and that's just about as bland as you can get. Well if that guy gets 8k a fight and gets 2 8k win bonuses, then he is making 48k a year, and I'm sure he'd probably get an occasional raise just for being a dependable guy that does well enough to stick in the company. 48k isn't a bad starting salary to be average. Now before anybody hits me with the "but there are a ton of hidden fees to be a UFC fighters", keep in mind that this is supposed to be the low end of what a guy can make.

Now let's take a guy that isn't exactly a main eventer, but has been around a bit. If he made 15k a fight, and went 3-2, he would be getting 75k base pay, and 45k in win bonuses that's over 100k even before any actual "of the night" bonuses. This theoretical guy isn't anywhere near the top of the pay scale, and he is making 6 figures. That's damn good money.

I think by this point everybody gets where I'm going with this. Guys that get paid a ton would be filthy rich if they fought several times a year, blah, blah, blah, so on, and so forth. My point on this is that it appears as though the money really is there if you are willing to work for it, and when I say work for it, I mean literally fill UFC TV/PPV time with you fighting another human person. I know injuries and other stuff can derail a guy from fighting 6 times a year, but it seems to me that that isn't always or even mostly the case. Many times I see a guy fight that hasn't fought in a long time, and I'll check and there won't be anything on him being injured. That guy can't really be mad that he didn't make much money, because he hasn't contributed much to the company. You gotta work to get paid.

Now on to my other point about Cowboy Cerrone. In my opinion, the guy has pretty much by himself set the LW division to stay interesting for a little while longer than it would have naturally been otherwise. He has willed his way into title contention about as fast as humanly possible. Some guys would sit out for 6-9 months just to hold their place in line. Cerrone will have fought 6 times in a year. Let those last two sentences sink in. If he wins, that will be a 6 fight streak, that is the kind of streak that most guys that are in title contention go on, but it takes them 2-3 years, if not more to do. As I have said, he pretty willed his way into title contention, which in turn, will give the division one more no brainer title fight before they have to get creative or pick between several guys with questionable resumés. A lot of the time when there is no clear cut contender, the UFC does the absolute stupidest thing possible, which is hold up the belt until a contender emerges. There is no need to do that when a guy gets 6 wins in a year. He has made himself a contender, he has made himself a star, and he might make himself a Champion by April (if he has his way).

I shit on the UFC a lot, but as a fan, I tend to often find myself wishing my favorite guys would fight far more often. I think more guys like Cerrone would lead to less stupid moves by the company (holding up titles, CM Punk, ect). That's something that would be great for the fans, the fighters, and the company. Everybody wins, maybe not 6 times in a year, but still.

Thank you for reading my rant.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

I completely understand and respect what you're saying.

Fighters complain about money, yet they only fight 2-3 time a year at most.

If Cerrone wins, he's clearly ahead in the title contention, than anyone else. Even if rankings are taken seriously, Khabib Nurmagomedov had fought 6 times in almost 3 years, and then suffered a knee injury (was apparently supposed to rematch Cerrone before that). Let's face it, they only gave do Anjos the next title shot, because Cerrone just fought, again, and they didn't want to pressure him...and then Eddie got hurt and Cerrone steps up on even shorter notice for a title shot.

But as for fighter pay...I believe that Cerrone is making a hell of a lot more than his contract stipulates. Clearly Dana/Lorenzo/the UFC has a huge boner for Cerrone. Fighting 5 times in a year, them ignoring his sports activities while training for his fights (that they publicly threw a fit over a year or 2 ago when a shit ton of injuries occurred because of said activities), and then sign him to another fight 2 weeks later after his last fight. Dude is getting paid with behind-the-scene bonuses up the ass. Dana has made it clear that he is most happy with fighters who want to fight, and let it be known they want to fight. Seriously, there is no doubt in my mind that Cerrone's contract doesn't mean shit compared to what he's been paid this year. I wouldn't be shocked if he got paid a couple million over the past year, especially if he wins again in 2 weeks.

I don't agree that they work only 1-3 times per year. I actually consider that their several weeks of hard training and preparation must be considered as work.

As for Cerrone, the guy is admirable because it is like he lives to fight. Everytime it is the same for him, he ends a fight and 2-3 days later he has already scheduled a new fight.
    He is not my favorite fighter and I do not think he will be champion, but I actually admire him for that attitude of fighting, keeping himself in good shape all the time.

Most fighters would be taking a 1 month vacation, and then slooowly begin training again, then begin talks about a future opponent and maybe the would be scheduled to fight in summer.
    Cerrone had a very solid performance against a Top 10 guy, and now he is already scheduled to fight in 12 days against another Top 10 fighter.
    He definitely has some balls and courage!
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    I don't agree that they work only 1-3 times per year. I actually consider that their several weeks of hard training and preparation must be considered as work.

As for Cerrone, the guy is admirable because it is like he lives to fight. Everytime it is the same for him, he ends a fight and 2-3 days later he has already scheduled a new fight.
    He is not my favorite fighter and I do not think he will be champion, but I actually admire him for that attitude of fighting, keeping himself in good shape all the time.

Most fighters would be taking a 1 month vacation, and then slooowly begin training again, then begin talks about a future opponent and maybe the would be scheduled to fight in summer.
    Cerrone had a very solid performance against a Top 10 guy, and now he is already scheduled to fight in 12 days against another Top 10 fighter.
    He definitely has some balls and courage!
    I'm not saying that training isn't hard, but I just don't see it as something that the organization should have to compensate you for. It would maybe even be smart for the UFC to pay them so that guys can fully commit to the sport, and perfect their craft, but I don't blame the company for not doing it. Some companies reimburse employees for gas used to to travel to work. Some jobs pay for further schooling for their employees, when it relates to the career. That stuff may be a good idea, but it shouldn't be considered mandatory. To me it should be the UFC's call, and while I would fault them for a lot of things, I wouldn't fault them for this.

Cerrone is for sure a warrior.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Cerrone is what we want fighters to be, fighters. If he hasnt earned your respect over the past year or two, that's a YOU problem. he has quickly become one of my favorites.

As far as the fighter pay rant goes, $100,000 per year is absolute peanuts when you factor in paying for travel, trainers, diet, and medical expenses. It's the equivalent of a lower middle class blue collar job with the additional benefit of suffering permanent brain damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    I agree with Peezy.

Cerrone has been my fav for awhile. I know people weren't high on him in WEC but at this point how can you not like the guy. Fights often. Fights anyone. and 9 times out of 10 he puts on a show. Its hard for me to find something not to like about him.

As far as the fight I think he might lose for the 3rd time to Hendo. Both are diff fighters at this point but still think Hendo will stop him. Either way its a win for Cerrone because he is cashing another check.

If you can stay healthy and fight 4 to 6 times a year, great. But medical suspensions can fuck that up in a hurry.

Thread Information