Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Reasons Why Jon Jones is Hated

missed these:

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    With his fingers extended, how much longer is his reach advantage? Serious question.

If his middle finger is around 4 inches, would that give him an 8 inch advantage. Or do they measure it opened hand? If so, you would have to chop off 8 inches off the opponents reach, assuming they keep their hands closed and not for Jones.
    Reach is measured with the hands fully extended.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Don't forget his walk out music to go with that dance was "the champ is here!"
    I thought that was his homage to Ray Lewis. Because if there is anyone who should be celebrated, it's that guy.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

How many guys get away with murder and are then celebrated as "great mentors" to young and troubled youth?
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    How many guys get away with murder and are then celebrated as "great mentors" to young and troubled youth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    In a subculture that regularly champions the statement "snitches get stitches" no less.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I seriously cannot talk about Ray Lewis objectively. Nope. Not a guy who is clearly an accessory to a double homicide who immediately lies to police and destroys evidence and then turns state to help them get.....wait for it....an acquittal; only to turn around and settle for millions in order to avoid the wrongful death suit.

That being said, Jon Jones may have his issues but he really needs to distance himself from that shit.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

this thread made me LOL too. So much butthurt, and there will be even more when he beats Goose - AGAIN.

Maybe Greg Jackson told him to 'go get some fans', so Jones brought out Ray Lewis.

On that note, did anyone see how happy post fight Jones was that he actually got cheers instead of boos at 172... Guess it worked.

Wow, lots of great comments. Where to begin. Guess I'll start at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by singinkangaroooo View Post
    pretty good for your first article writing... your quality of writing isn't bad.. I just kind of think you could expand much more on each topic (using more specifics and other stuff)
    Thanks man. I could have put a bit more into it, but I got tired by the time I finished 10 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordofAres View Post
    You're kinda sugar coating it a bit. The eye pokes, illegal elbows, cage grabbing, head butts, and probably a few others I'm forgetting. You can say it's "heat of the moment" or "he didn't know the rule" and I might let that slide once, maybe twice but this guy is consistently breaking the rules.

Also I would not say people hating him for the "car crash" is kinda stupid. Drinking and Driving Kills people every year. I don't give a fuck if he's a celebrity or not he willing endangered the lives of the others. If people despise him for that I think they are justified.

Most of what you said, while I may disagree with I respect your opinion. This bit here I find obnoxious. If I didn't respect you for the way you typically carry yourself and contribute to the boards I'd neg you for it.

First off who are you to question whether someone can call themselves a fan? What you like about MMA might not be what someone else likes. Does that make you more of a fan? If I can think of better things to do with my $60 then watch someone I can't stand fight I'm not a fan?

Secondly, the idea that I should want to watch to "see him lose" is utter bullshit. Jones gets a PPV cut. That means a portion of the money I pay to watch the fight is going into his pocket. I despise him so why the fuck should I want to pay him? That type of mentality is why we are seeing fighters act like WWE villains and I'm just not going to fall for that marketing ploy. I can just as happily read about him losing.

And lastly, you seem to be acting as if there is no debate over him being "the greatest fighter of our generation". Fedor, Anderson, Aldo, and Cain might disagree with you. For my money Fedor and Anderson are neck and neck and everyone else is a distant third.

Edit: Overall good first article except the part I quoted. I think maybe because you don't like Jones you overcompensated in the other direction in a few spots but not badly. I'd just avoid absolutes like"the greatest fighter of our generation" unless it's non debatable and avoid questioning your readers fanhood. If someone shells out $60 a PPV and gets so emotionally invested in it that they waste their free time on a message board arguing over it, they are a fan.
    Thanks for not neg'ing me. Yes I did sugar coat the dirty shyte a bit, as to not totally tear the guy apart. Questioning people being an MMA fan because they don't like him was a bit over the line too. I don't particularily like D Johnson, and wouldn't go out of my way to watch a fight. Same can be said for Jones. And the 'greatest fighter of our generation' was a poor choice of wording as well. I should have put 'one of' or rephrased it. And you're spot on that I attempted to overcompensate in the other direction, as to not create a total bashing article, but to outline reasoning for the hate towards him. There are pleanty of people that love him or fanboys or whatever, and an article could easily be made of 10 reasons people love him. But since I don't, I can't think of many.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I'm going to throw out a pre-emptive warning here: thus far, most of the criticism has been valid and supported, but threads like this have a way of degenerating into "fighter X is a cheating asshole!" or "fuck you hater pussies."

don't.

I'd also question what the goal of the article is. There are several different schools of thought in journalism, but low-hanging fruit indicates that controversy is good: if people disagree with your piece, they'll talk about it, and your name/product in their mouth is beneficial. That's commonly been disproved as a solid long-term plan, but there are a ton of hacks that still subscribe to it.

If you're going for controversy, using absolutes is standard...calling him the greatest fighter of a generation, assuming that people either love him or hate him, those kind of things...they're going to elicit a strong response.

If you're looking for a more moderate article that actually raises the level of intelligence and understanding of your audience, you'd want to avoid that, and make a genuine effort to consider opposing viewpoints and account for them.

I believe this effort could fall into either category with a bit of work.

rh
    Thanks for the warning being 'pre-emptive'. I thought warning were confidential? lol

Anyways, the purpose of the article was just to figure out why many dislike him so much. I wasn't really going for controversy or to be a jouralist or whatever. I just had an idea about it, and decided to roll with it. And to get peoples opinion on why they dislike him so much. And yes, my wording like 'greatest fighter of a generation' was a poor choice of words. Thank you for your input and advice though, it's greatly appreciated dude. If I took more time I would have probably removed things like that.

Big thanks to Cat and Fe1 for the gif's. I couldn't bother to search, but they really help illustrate the point.

And just want to thank everyone out there for their criticism, be it negative or positive. And also thanks for taking the time to read it and/or comment on it. Seems like the argument of him being 'dirty' is what gets under peoples skin the most.

Howdy Folks! You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature? Well then, come on down to Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Mad-Men. See the Alligator Boy, ride my famous Murder Ride. Most of all, don't forget to take home some of my tasty fried chicken! Ha ha! It just tastes so damn good!

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

9. Default

ah now theres the intelligent rebuttal we've all come to expect from Jones fans. Thanks for not dissappointing.

Can't believe this has got like 612 views already, and I put it up a little over 12 hours ago. Only took me around 2 hours to type it all up, proof-read once or twice, and then I was tired and put it on.

Howdy Folks! You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature? Well then, come on down to Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Mad-Men. See the Alligator Boy, ride my famous Murder Ride. Most of all, don't forget to take home some of my tasty fried chicken! Ha ha! It just tastes so damn good!

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

Thread Information