Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Reasons Why Jon Jones is Hated

Quote Originally Posted by Flou View Post
    And in what sense is it not dirty in his mind in MMA if it's dirty move in wrestling. Aww, nice indeed.
    Oh you know, the fact they allow arm locks and submissions in MMA. And here i thought that was pretty obvious but i guess i was wrong.
    Last edited by BonesKnows; 04-28-2014 at 10:46 AM.

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

I liked that arm wrench in the clinch.

I think as an MMA fan, one has to rectify a clear line of demarcation between his in-cage performance and his outer-cage persona. IMO, there's some validity to some of these points made, I personally think Jones fights dirty and his aloof personality comes across poorly, but I'll also acknowledge that he absolutely beat Glover like a drum and has an incredible resume.

Now, maybe it's just me and again, I'm not a "fan" of Jones' either persona so I'll be critical of him here, but my biggest knock against him is that he could be the biggest mainstream breakout MMA star ever, bigger than Georges, bigger than Fedor or Chuck, bigger than Rousey and I think he does everyone a tremendous disservice when he has a serious license to print real money and advance the sport. IMO, with this image he's developed over the years and the way he carries himself(now here, you could say both in and out of the cage because the Machida finish PO'd me), he doesn't have the reputation somebody with his stats and qualities probably should have at this juncture.

Sports media-wise, I think he has the potential to be one of those very few "transcendent athletes", he's as dominant as Tiger/Gretzky/Jordan and is a handsome and well-spoken individual, but he's not drawing commensurate with where his talent and I think there's a lot being left on the table. He's got that "go away heat" and I don't think his PR people do him any favours.

Again, we can all like, love and hate different fighters for different reasons and that's cool, but I think, at least for me, a major sticking point with Jon Jones, is what he could do for progressing the sport, maybe he doesn't want that and doesn't care to, but that in particular rubs me the wrong way.

"Everybody hates me because I'm the best"

"Haters hate me because they are jealous of me"

"Haters only hate me because of their own personal stuff that they got to work out"

"(Insert basically anything involving the word haters here)"

-delusional people who refuse to believe that they may be disliked for the way THEY act, and not jealousy, or insecurities from the other person.

I'm not even referencing Bones on this one. I'm talking about the whole BonesKnows "everybody hates the best" post. We live in a world where it is perfectly acceptable to be preloaded with 50 different excuses for why you are disliked. Nobody is capable of self reflection anymore. Everybody has to think that if everybody in the whole damn world doesn't like you, then they have a problem. Maybe they do dislike you because they are a dick, maybe they dislike you because you are a dick, or maybe your personalities don't mesh well. Those are all possibilities. The problem I have is that everybody is so damn quick to say "I'm great, what's their problem", when somebody doesn't think they are the most wonderful fucking thing this world has to offer. I'm not saying you should stay awake at night, with a bottle of whiskey, because somebody gave you a dirty look at the check out line at Wal-Mart, but be capable for at least one damn second of saying "That human being doesn't seem to like me. I don't know why. I wonder why?", please?! Somebody?! Anybody?!?!

I am aware that not everybody is going to like this post, but hey, haters are my motivators.

As much as you guys dislike him, at the weighins the crowd was cheering loudly for him. Before the fight they were cheering loudly for him, during the fight they were cheering loudly for him (except the last 30 secs) and after the fight they were cheering even louder. People hate Jones, people also love Jones; that's the mark of a dominant champ.

I'll be interested in seeing the butyrate for this card.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Dirten View Post
    Personally, I dislike Jones as a fighter (I don't know him as a person) but it's not because I think he fights dirty...

(Although!... Those gifs and pics are incredible... and make a strong case for labelling him as at LEAST a LITTLE dirty.)

For ME... I hate the cockiness.

I hate cockiness in ANY fighter. It's why I could never get behind Anderson. Even though the man was CLEARLY an incredible fighter (just as Jones is) I just can't root for anyone who is cocky.

Confidence is AWESOME (see GSP/ Fedor!)
    Cockiness is off putting (see Jon Jones/Anderson Silva/Josh Koscheck/etc)

That's why I don't like Jones.
    And it's a shame.
    You must have hated Ali, he was/is the cockiest man in the history of competitive sports.
    Last edited by CtGreat; 04-28-2014 at 11:34 AM.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm not even referencing Bones on this one. I'm talking about the whole BonesKnows "everybody hates the best" post. We live in a world where it is perfectly acceptable to be preloaded with 50 different excuses for why you are disliked. Nobody is capable of self reflection anymore. Everybody has to think that if everybody in the whole damn world doesn't like you, then they have a problem. Maybe they do dislike you because they are a dick, maybe they dislike you because you are a dick, or maybe your personalities don't mesh well. Those are all possibilities. The problem I have is that everybody is so damn quick to say "I'm great, what's their problem", when somebody doesn't think they are the most wonderful fucking thing this world has to offer.
    I think in most cases when it comes to athletes - especially successful athletes people hate them because of their success. Im not saying thats the only reason they hate them but it plays a bigger role in it than i believe you are giving credit for. If you're a dick, and people think you're a dick and say you're a dick, they're going to tune in saturday night in hopes of seeing you lose, and lose badly. But guess what, they're still tuning in.

What i find funny is that they try and find whatever they can to dislike him. All of a sudden Jones is a dirty fighter, i cant count how many posts ive seen saying "he uses oblique kicks - hes so dirty" as if its against the rules or something. One could argue heel hooks are dirty, yet they are in the rules. The hand on the face - and top of the head is interesting. Fighters are taught to keep their hands open to not gas out their arms, and then having the advantage to LITERALLY place your hand on the other fighter - knowing he cant hit you from where he is - gives you the best judgement on distance you can have. You know EXACTLY how far your opponent is away from you, if that results in an eye poke every once in a while so be it. By no means do i think Jones is intentionally poking people in the eyes, because THAT would make him a dirty fighter.

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

I love Jones, its clear he is on another level. His offense is beyond what anyone else is doing right now, that arm wrench was perfect and I hope he starts using foot stomps in the clinch. Like Sonned said, whatever is illegal in other sports, do that in MMA and itll work. Haters gonna hate, but the fact remains Jones has beat every former LHW champion he has faced, and those guys are still competing and winning after the fact. I strongly believe your wins are only as great as what they do after you beat them.

As for Gus, the fight was super close, but I truely believe the second fight will be clear cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

I already know that a big reason why most hate him is because he is so damn good and he hasn't even hit his prime yet. If he wasn't great, he would be barely talked about on here. But what I don't get is that the people that hate him with so much passion have zero respect for the guy on what he is done. They constantly look for bullshit excuses on him and that what I find so annoying. On the flip side, I will be hones there and admit that I HATE Anderson Silva. Couldn't stand him because of how great he was, I couldn't stand his antics in the ring, and more I felt that he dodged certain fighters. But you know what, I watched every damn fight of his. I loved watching him perform and I repsected him for the great fighter he is.... still hate him to this day though. haha
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

I'm fairly neutral on jones honestly. I respect his accomplishments, and enjoy his fights... But care less for his persona. The arm crank in the clinch is basically a standing submission... Not dirty at all. Him dropping machida on his face and walking away was totally classless. The oblique kicks are questionable, but legal... And I believe the eye pokes are just a product of his style. That being said he should be penalized like anyone else.

Thread Information