Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Reasons Why Jon Jones is Hated

I don't like jon's attitude. I don't like how he uses the rules to perform morally objectionable moves. Yet he seems to think he embodies the spirit of martial arts.

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

What I find more annoying than anything jones actually does is the assumption that anyone who doesn't love him must automatically hate him, or that any criticism must come from a hater.

Personally, I find the dilution/misinterpretation of the phrase pound-for-pound an issue I comment on the most, but that's a desire for accuracy when using a term that predated MMA by decades. It has little to do with Jones himself, just like it had little to do with Anderson back in the day. It certainly doesn't mean I hate the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    What i find funny is that they try and find whatever they can to dislike him. All of a sudden Jones is a dirty fighter...
    No. It's not "all of the sudden." People have complained about Jones since he started in the UFC. I honestly can't think of a single fight where I didn't think Jones was dirty, and I can think of many fights [including the Bonnar match that made you a fan] where he should have been penalized, or at least have had the action stopped to issue a clear and convincing warning.

If you don't think he's dirty simply because "he's just using his reach," look at two of the most dominant fighters in the game who also sported reach advantages throughout their careers: How many times did Anderson or Georges eye poke their opponents?

But he's not the only dirty fighter in the game, by any means, and some fans have a higher tolerance for that shit than I do.

I'd also point out that simply because a move is legal doesn't mean it isn't dirty. Again, review the outrage Anderson fans had when Weidman intentionally knee-checked Silva. He wasn't intending to break the leg, but he knew it would hurt him. There were many, many fans who felt that was a "dirty" move.

By no means do i think Jones is intentionally poking people in the eyes, because THAT would make him a dirty fighter.
    I think being warned after the eyepoke and continuing to do it was dirty. Intentional or not, if you're repeating fouls, you're dirty, at least in my opinion. It was dirty when Chuck did it, it's dirty when Jones did it, and it'll be dirty for the next fighter to do it, particularly after a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    As much as you guys dislike him, at the weighins the crowd was cheering loudly for him. Before the fight they were cheering loudly for him, during the fight they were cheering loudly for him (except the last 30 secs) and after the fight they were cheering even louder. People hate Jones, people also love Jones; that's the mark of a dominant champ.
    ...or a guy with a connection to Baltimore.

I get that some people love jones. I get that some people hate jones. I'd assume that he has more fans than actual haters. But I wouldn't use the cheers he got in Baltimore as an accurate gauge of how much he's "loved" anymore than I'd say that any criticism of him is coming from a "hater."

Quote Originally Posted by rspier View Post
    And I believe the eye pokes are just a product of his style. That being said he should be penalized like anyone else.
    If he's not changing his style after committing a foul, that's dirty, in my opinion.

But I can't fault jones entirely, if he's allowed to do it, he's clearly going to keep doing it; so much of the problem lies in the refs.

Again, I'd love to see a complete overhaul of officiating in MMA, and one of the aspects I'd stress would be that fighters who repeat fouls wouldn't get the leeway of a verbal warning for every new fight. If a fighter is known for kneeing people in the balls, the ref should have a discussion with him before the first bell: "Look, you're known for kneeing balls. I'm not having that in my cage. This is your verbal warning. If you strike him low, I'm taking a point, right off the bat."

It sucks, but you can't pin all that shit on jones. He's going to do it until it's no longer advantageous, that's the nature of the game.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 04-28-2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: fixed double negative
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I used to think the oblique kicks were pretty dirty, but honestly, they're not illegal. Also, fighting Jones, you have to know that they're coming. What I do find a little shady with his fighting skills are the eye poke opportunities he creates and his grabbing/forearming of people's throats. It's against the rules and he continues to do that shit.

Other than the Goose, he thoroughly beat everyone put in front of him, even in his loss to Hamill. Dude's a stud. It's not so much that I'm not a fan of him, because I am; it's more that I'm not a fan of how much of a star he could be but isn't. Sometimes I feel like he's trying too hard to say the right things, like praising jesus, trying to use words like "humbled", "tested", and "warrior spirit" and all that. I'm sure he might feel that way, but it feels forced.
    You have to know what you don't know.

For such a masculine sport there sure are a lot of bitches that watch it.

I was a wrestler, graduated in 2005, Christian, and love guns. Bones Jones should be my best friend, but I dislike him because of the stuff he says. I don't think a lot of the legal/dirty stomp kick things that he does either, but if it's legal then it's legal, I just don't like it. As I have said, I was rooting for Bones against Glover/Glowver (Joe Rogan), but even then, he made it hard with his stupid Ray Lewis dance, his tweets, his antics, even his "and still..." Shirt. How do you not want a guy to get KO'd if he's gonna be wearing a "and still..." Shirt after?!?!
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Something about hoes and tricks come to mind...maybe Trix....
    You have to know what you don't know.

Once they start docking points for those eye pokes rather than 5 warnings, we'll see how much more he keeps doing it.Just like elbows to the throat should be obviously a point deducted because its blatantly dirty. I guarantee anybody else gets dq'ed or auto point deducted.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    This literally adds nothing to the forum. Please find somewhere else to troll.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    You must have hated Ali, he was/is the cockiest man in the history of competitive sports.
    It's an interesting point you raise... and BonesKnows raised it to : What is the difference between confident and cocky?

I like Ali.
    I don't find him cocky in the least.
    I look back at Ali and I see a CONFIDENT champion. He wasn't always respectful to his opponents, that's for sure.
    But I guess for me the difference is that ALI'S self promotion was confined to his boxing skills. He compared himself to his opponents, and basically exuded an attitude of "you ain't nowhere near my level". I never had a problem with that. I also had a LOT of respect for him with his stance on the Vietnam War. To me, Ali was a guy who came up rough and made good. He had strong convictions and he didn't just talk... he stood behind those convictions... even when it cost him!

Jones... well... Jones comes off, to ME, like he's not just "better" than his opponents. He's better than everyone! Managers, former training partners, retired fighters, and... by extension, you and me. That's the vibe I get from him. He doesn't have any great cause he believes in...(not a big deal really!) but!... he does seem to base quality and worth on financial success. I find that unappealing. That is not LIMITED to JBJ but it is something else that I dislike about him. Like he's somehow "better" because he has more money/sponsors.

Ali : I'm the greatest of all time! (somehow that came off as confident and funny and intriguing)
    Jones : I'm the best (somehow it comes off as cocky)

Why?!?!?

Well... I'm not entirely sure! I've pointed out a few things... but at the end of the day, and as imprecise as this is... it's almost like it's the smirk on his face. Just the look in his eyes that seems to scream : I think I'm better than you. NOT just at FIGHTING... but just BETTER.

That's what I don't like about him.
    I'm sure he's probably a nice guy and all that stuff... like I said... I don't know him PERSONALLY.
    But I sure don't like him as a fighter.
    I don't root for him.
    And it's a shame.
    Cause he has all the talent in the world...
    But he's like that really good looking girl who KNOWS she's good looking... ACTS like she's hot shit... and in the process, makes herself FAR less attractive than she is.

My two cents.

Too young for the success he has had. The kid is what just 26? Youngest champ ever at LHW one of the premier divisions. I think it comes down to roll models. He needs someone to guide him and set him straight when he is out if line but because of his success no one wants to say a word to him.

Yes, ultimately the blame lies with Jones himself but I'm willing to bet that a lot of the people on this board who are throwing mud and complaining would handle the success much worse. And I'm talking about both his fans and his detracters.

I find it funny when people calls Jones dirty or claim he is so great then get into an troll fight on the net.

Jones could be so much bigger than he is but not until he grows up. And chances are it will take awhile without a mentor to guide him. I do think he tries more than people give him credit for but at that age with his success its hard to seem humble when people keep inflating your ego.

Thread Information