Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Reasons Why Jon Jones is Hated

Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    While not supporting what Jones does with the eyepokes there are two objective ways to look at it...

- That he is flat out doing it intentionally to use the threat of being poked in the eye as a defense like you and others have suggested.

- Second being that he is using the outstretched hand to create as much space for himself as possible and control his opponents positioning to take full advantage of his reach, and he absolutely does not care if he pokes someone's eyes in doing this.
    ...so how do you account for elbows to the back of the head, forearms across the throat, covering opponents mouth and nose on the ground, etc?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

So now Glover's injured from that arm crank apparently, ...

"Adding injury to insult, Glover Teixeira not only lost his bid to remove the gold belt from around UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones’ waist at UFC 172 recently, he also suffered a torn labrum in the opening round of the fight.

The injury occurred when Jones, who masterfully defended his belt, cranked on Teixeira’s arm. Lesser men would have given up, but Teixeira fought on for the duration of the five-round fight, not winning the belt, but winning over most anyone that doubted his shot at the title.

Teixeira’s manager, Ed Soares, confirmed the injury to FoxSports.com on Friday, saying that his fighter is likely to undergo surgery sometime in the next two weeks. A timeframe for his return is yet to be determined.

Despite the torn labrum, as well as some battered ribs, Teixeira took nothing away from Jones after the fight, simply saying he was the better man that night.

Jones surprised many pundits, who thought he would try to utilize his height and reach and stay away from Teixeira’s inside game, where the Brazilian is particularly proficient. The champ instead fought a large part of the fight on the inside, besting Teixeira where he is strongest, showing another new wrinkle in his own game.

Teixeira lasted to the final bell, losing a unanimous decision. The loss to Jones ended a 20-fight unbeaten streak."

http://www.mmaweekly.com/glover-teix...ded-to-surgery

So does it constitute as a 'dirty' maneuver more now, seeing as how it has put Glover on the shelf? Or is it simply just 'unsportsmanlike' because it is within the rules?

Howdy Folks! You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature? Well then, come on down to Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Mad-Men. See the Alligator Boy, ride my famous Murder Ride. Most of all, don't forget to take home some of my tasty fried chicken! Ha ha! It just tastes so damn good!

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post

So does it constitute as a 'dirty' maneuver more now, seeing as how it has put Glover on the shelf? Or is it simply just 'unsportsmanlike' because it is within the rules?
    I called it dirty earlier and I still call it dirty especially due to Jones's own attitude towards the incident. "Aw, nice." is highly idiotic thing to say if you've just put someone on the shelf for months preventing them from earning money to pay the bills.

Yes, you can get your knee busted in submissions etc, but with that crank once the opponent uses it, there's no tapping to it before something is torn. At least to me it looked like a pretty basic technique, yet nobody else seems to be doing it or else we would have had many injured guys by now.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

I don't think that it was particularly dirty, or as dirty as some of the stuff he pulls. It falls in a grey area...it's not a clean move, but really, for a black belt, Tex should have had better positioning on the underhooks to prevent it. It sucks that he's out for a bit, but it is submission grappling, and he is a veteran, competing at the expert level.

I guess it's probably not quite as bad as the oblique kick, in my opinion. They both have potential to do long-term injury to the opponent, but leaving the opening for the arm crank is more a matter of poor form than with the strike to the knee. And yes, I get that they're both legal. I hope that changes.

I think without any doubt, jones will do whatever he has to to win. There just isn't a bit of concern about long-term injury to his opponent, as long as he wins. I think there are a lot of fighters who wouldn't do the arm crank--and good on them, in my opinion--but I'm betting there are just as many who will be looking for it now.

But ultimately, I don't feel like this is as bad as the eye-pokes, the spinning elbows to the back of the head, the forearms across the throat, etc.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

The arm wrench is questionable in the rules but still dirty as fuck when you consider Jones himself said its a dirty move in amateur wrestling yet had no problem doing it.

The majority of nuthuggers would cry if it was done to Jones and put him on the shelf. I mean one moron tried mentioning Gus' s past history outside of the sport, which is completely irrelevant to the thread. So imagine that retards reaction if Jones got poked 10 times, elbowed in the throat, and arm wrenched, lost his belt and got put on the shelf. It would be a problem then of course

There was nothing wrong with the arm crank. Everything else brought up on here is dirty but an arm crank? This is the point of the thread I bow out because now it seems like people are just looking for anything to call dirty. The goal of MMA is to KO or submit your opponent. Is an arm bar or kimura dirty? Was it dirty when Frank Mir broke Nog's arm? So the arm crank isn't allowed in another sport. Hell take downs aren't allowed in boxing. Are they dirty?

Jones reaction however was uncalled for and a douche move.

A dangerous move doesn't make it dirty. Had Glover tapped instead of fighting through what would people think then?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

...so how do you account for elbows to the back of the head, forearms across the throat, covering opponents mouth and nose on the ground, etc?
    With what I said I'm not disputing whether Jones is a dirty fighter or not just whether or not if the eye pokes are intentional or not.

As for the hand over the mouth and nose more then a few fighters have used that move and I don't think it's dirty... it's not going to injure anybody and really at worse it's just annoying to the fighter and makes them have to work a little harder to maintain their cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    The arm wrench is questionable in the rules but still dirty as fuck when you consider Jones himself said its a dirty move in amateur wrestling yet had no problem doing it.
    It would also be dirty to punch someone in the face in amateur wrestling. Good thing it was an MMA fight instead

8. Default

I would venture to say that Glover never once thought Jon would wrench his arm like that. I've never seen that the way it was done in MMA before.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post

The majority of nuthuggers would cry if it was done to Jones and put him on the shelf. I mean one moron tried mentioning Gus' s past history outside of the sport, which is completely irrelevant to the thread. So imagine that retards reaction if Jones got poked 10 times, elbowed in the throat, and arm wrenched, lost his belt and got put on the shelf. It would be a problem then of course
    Can't quote me or say my name, woman? I brought up Gustas past. So what? I did it because there's people out there who have reasons to not like Jones and then there's just sheep who hate Jones. I wanted to bring it up that no one is perfect and that there's a double standard, yet MMA is full of those.

You calling me a moron is like Rosie O Donnell calling someone fat, 1intheass. At least point out who you're referring to. Maybe you'll get a rep.

I've already said that I liked the arm crank. I've never seen it done like that before and it just shows another weapon in Jones' arsenal. It's obvious Jones isn't going to win the biggest sportsmanship award. He blatantly displays that's he has no remorse for his opponent during the fight and will utilize any sort of technique that will win him the fight. By any means necessary I suppose.

Is it clean, nope. But I like seeing how guys will either deal with it or fall to it. It's martial arts.
    Last edited by m1ckeykn0x; 05-03-2014 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckeykn0x View Post
    Can't quote me or say my name, woman? I brought up Gustas past. So what? I did it because there's people out there who have reasons to not like Jones and then there's just sheep who hate Jones. I wanted to bring it up that no one is perfect and that there's a double standard, yet MMA is full of those.

You calling me a moron is like Rosie O Donnell calling someone fat, 1intheass. At least point out who you're referring to. Maybe you'll get a rep.

I've already said that I liked the arm crank. I've never seen it done like that before and it just shows another weapon in Jones' arsenal. It's obvious Jones isn't going to win the biggest sportsmanship award. He blatantly displays that's he has no remorse for his opponent during the fight and will utilize any sort of technique that will win him the fight. By any means necessary I suppose.

Is it clean, nope. But I like seeing how guys will either deal with it or fall to it. It's martial arts.

Sensitive huh?

I didn't remember who posted it but whatever lol. "1intheass"? What are you 15? I can't entertain stupid.

1intheass wooooo you sure got me there

Thread Information