Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Reasons Why Jon Jones is Hated

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I probably should have stated above that I still found it to be dirty but easily justified. It was just a shame it ended up resulting in a KO rather than just sending a message to Ortiz.
    I think he could have resolved any controversy with a rematch. That's the biggest thing I dislike about Floyd, the "if I've beaten them, I'm done" mentality. I think that's partly responsible for the reluctance of fighters to seek out rematches in combat sports today.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    because contrary to public belief around here Jones isnt a dirty fighter. And no, Jones doesnt "pretty much acknowledge he is a dirty fighter" with the video. I think hes mocking people whining and claiming hes a dirty fighter - because thats the only knock they have on him - if you can even call it that.
    Can you name one other champion or even fighter with as even near many 'accidental' eye pokes as Jones who has not been labelled as dirty?

D

I think Kos and Shields caught a lot of crap for fewer eye-poke incidents. Whether it's accurate or not, I'd say Jones is being treated equitably given the context.

That said, I do think it's dirty as all hell. Rogan made the very good point that having your fingers out like that prevents people from running in out of fear of an eye poke. IMO, threat of a jab is fair, threat of an eye poke is questionable at best.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GloverBones.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	692

Seems like the fans are more upset at Jones than his opponent
    LJS-NEMS

I have supported Jones and been a fan of Jones since he started in the UFC. Probably before Bonesknows was even a member. The first incident or 2 was easy to let slide. Its a fight and accidents can and will happen.

It has become a habit though. Anyone who says Jones is in know way a dirty fighter is biased and nut hugging. This is coming from a Jones fan. And I'll be honest its making it harder to pull for him. If it wasn't for the people on the other side of the bonesknows spectrum spewing hate then I might have turned against him a long time ago.

And no this isn't to say that anyone who doesn't like Jones is a hater. Not liking someone doesn't make you a hater. Most people on here fall under that category. Some though. Well there outrage makes it fun on here when he wins. Although big there were more like knows there I'd probably turn on Jones real quick

If roaddawg didn't disappear and was in this thread I feel like people would've been banned by now.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    If roaddawg didn't disappear and was in this thread I feel like people would've been banned by now.
    Let's be honest, he's probably reading this. He's still trolling us in spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I don't know why you deny Jones being a dirty fighter you should just embrace it and stop kidding yourself. Like you said he isn't doing anything illegal and Jones pretty much acknowledged he is a dirty fighter with that instagram video. I know plenty of wrestlers who do dirty shit all the times like grabbing peoples dicks and this weird thing with rib cages that I can't explain and they have no problem admitting it.
    Denying it implies that it is a fact that he refuses to believe. I would say its a matter of opinion that you disagree on.

I don't think he's a particularly dirty fighter, but he could stand to be a bit more careful with a couple of his techniques. Does anyone here think he actually meant to poke Glover in the eye?
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Can you name one other champion or even fighter with as even near many 'accidental' eye pokes as Jones who has not been labelled as dirty?

D
    Not defending Jones but...

Liddell and Penn have both had issues with eye pokes in their matches.. in Liddell's case they actually led to finishes in a couple of matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Supe View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GloverBones.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	692

Seems like the fans are more upset at Jones than his opponent
    Yup in Glover's case the eye poke didn't seem to do any damage and didn't impact the outcome of the match at all

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    I think Kos and Shields caught a lot of crap for fewer eye-poke incidents. Whether it's accurate or not, I'd say Jones is being treated equitably given the context.
    If you go back and look at the "Chuck>Wandi/Wandi>Chuck" debates from back in the UFC vs. PRIDE FC arguments, one of the first thing Wandi supporters would do is trash Liddell for the eyepokes.

I don't feel jones is being unfairly singled out, or that it's unique to his situation.

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    Denying it implies that it is a fact that he refuses to believe. I would say its a matter of opinion that you disagree on.
    Yes, exactly.

I don't think he's a particularly dirty fighter, but he could stand to be a bit more careful with a couple of his techniques. Does anyone here think he actually meant to poke Glover in the eye?
    I really don't know if it was intentional or not.

But I sincerely believe he simply doesn't care if his opponents catch an eyepoke or not. He's made no effort to avoid them, even after they occur fight after fight, and he gets repeated warnings,etc.

I believe jones is going to do whatever he can do to maximize his chances until he's penalized for doing so. That's why I'm so much in favor of ref's taking a harder stance with repeat offenders and giving them a warning before the fight: "I want a clean fight here, first time this happens, I take a point. Count this as your verbal warning." And I'm not singling Jones out here, I'd consider doing the same with Bisping, Koscheck, Marquardt, Daley, Mike Kyle...and of course, if he ever fights again, the granddaddy of them all, Gilbert Yvel. If they've had a few clean fights--as in, more than 2--sure, let it ride.

I think this is something AC's should be doing, reviewing fights and talking with both fighters and trainers. And while I catagorically disagree with the nonsense about fighters asking for particular refs not to be involved in their bouts, I can understand it, given the gross inconsistencies in officiating today. But the same sweeping reform I've been advocating would not only be training officials to be more accurate and more consistent, it would create more solidarity, so that any ref coming in would be aware of a fighters history and be willing to act on it, pre-emptively. Obviously, that would occur after the executions.

But again, the focus here seems to have shifted entirely to eye pokes, and jones has done a lot with elbows to the back of the head, with forearms across the throat, inappropriate chokes, etc.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information