Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shlemenko baffled by UFC matchmaking, calls it an ‘incomprehensible situation’

Default Shlemenko baffled by UFC matchmaking, calls it an ‘incomprehensible situation’

Shlemenko baffled by UFC matchmaking, calls it an ‘incomprehensible situation’
    "Look at the UFC matchmaking for me it's very incomprehensible situation." Shlemenko told MMABoxing.ru. "Look at guys who get title shots. They give title shots anyone they want. In Bellator the situation is more fair. If you are one of the fighters in Grand Prix that means you have a chance to get a champion. In the UFC a guy who win many fights can be behind a guy who prefer talking. Chael Sonnen is a great example of that. So I think Bellator is more fair organization in this situation."

The champ is scheduled to face former UFC light-heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz at the Bellator 120 PPV next month. It is a surprising match-up considering the size and weight disparity between them.

The discussion regarding this bout began when Shlemenko took to social media and posted a video where he respectfully called out Tito Ortiz for a match-up on the PPV. The following evening, both were present at Bellator 115 and had verbally agreed to meet at the PPV. It was finalized less than a week later.

When asked why he is so confident ahead of the match-up, Shlemenko stated that he has no problem facing bigger fighters as he holds an advantage in quickness.

"I always want to fight against guys who heavier than I am. I like to spar with heavier guys because I can use my advantage - speed. But it's going to be the first time when I will fight against a light heavyweight fighter in my career. My manager Alexei Zhernakov said to me that Tito Ortiz wants to fight but he can't find opponent. So I decided to offer myself. And we made it and I'm glad about that. I know that TIto wants to fight because his last fight was a long time ago. And I know he wants to do great comeback. I guess he thinks it's gonna be easy fight because he has weight advantage."

While he has a point.....glass houses, sir. Glass houses.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

"Joe Silva best matchmaker on the planet" LMAO
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

*Cough* Pat Curren rematch *Cough*

Putting aside the OBVIOUS (and unfortunate) situation with Shlemenko and Ortiz for the moment...

I have to side with Bellator on this one.

As much as I love the UFC (and I do!) I believe that Bellator's model... the "tournament" model (which is similar to other major sporting organizations - NFL, NBA, MLB, etc can all be considered "tournament" formats, since teams play a season and the winners advance to the finals, just like in the Bellator fight model) is a step in the right direction for the SPORT of MMA.

The UFC follows the boxing model of selecting contenders based (ostensibly) on their records. Which is fine. But it lends itself to all sorts of problems (corruption, favouritism, entertainment over sport, chael sonnen (ha!)

So on this one... I agree with the Bellator model.
    Just my two cents.

If they always followed that model strictly, I would be completely with you.

They don't.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    If they always followed that model strictly, I would be completely with you.

They don't.
    Yeah what's with the tournaments being four man instead of eight sometimes? Seems like they try to set up the #1 contender fights they really want.

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    Yeah what's with the tournaments being four man instead of eight sometimes? Seems like they try to set up the #1 contender fights they really want.
    I've been thinking the same thing recently, DA! I love the four-man as a way to speed up time to champion fights and keep things more digestable for casual fans. Let's start a campaign!

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    While he has a point.....glass houses, sir. Glass houses.
    he must forget about the fact he left bellator for 2 years, to return and get an immediate title shot against Falco....all be it a vacant title.

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

And what exactly did Ortiz do? Fuckin idiot.

Thread Information