Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When should Glover Teixeira get a 2nd title shot?

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    He's 34 years old and looks 55. I don't know that he'll get another shot. After the injury heals it could easily take two years to put together three top ten wins. I don't see him winning top ten fights at 36.
    Indeed, I think Glover's fighting career will end in the next 2 years. He has been fighting for a long time and that will take its toll on his body/brain.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

He's 34 years old and looks 55.
    Seriously? Man, I hope I look that good when I'm 55.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    I know Glover Teixeira just lost, but he survived 5 rounds with an injured shoulder that occurred part way through round 1 and a few eye pokes. Before the fight, I questioned whether people who picked Teixeira on the pickem's post honestly believed that Teixeira could win, however, after UFC 172, I actually think Teixeira has a chance.

I am obviously not saying an immediate rematch, but if he wins another couple against top 10 guys, I would give him another shot.
    He has a puncher's chance. The only way I'd say give him another shot is if he beats top 5 guys and not guys like Ryan Bader and that human punching bag he fought in his debut. But that's up to the UFC to do.

Jones doesn't get past Gus.
    Moot Point.

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Jones doesn't get past Gus.
    Moot Point.

H.
    I'm anticipating this fight as much as any fight in the last few years.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Teixeira got tooled, I don't know why you think that he would have a chance in a second fight.

His only chance is to achieve 4 or 5 impressive wins in a row, and to face for the title someone who is not Jon Jones.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Teixeira got tooled, I don't know why you think that he would have a chance in a second fight.

His only chance is to achieve 4 or 5 impressive wins in a row, and to face for the title someone who is not Jon Jones.
    I'll never understand this line of reasoning.

I just can't get how people who watch any combat sports--never mind MMA--think even a dominant win would decide the outcome of future matchups.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I am a fan of Glover's, but he should get back in line and work his way to another title shot. There was nothing about the fight that leads me to believe that any exceptions should be made by giving him a shot any sooner. He fought a good fight, but Jones dominated him.

I'm anticipating this fight as much as any fight in the last few years.
    I watched the first fight from my seats in the ACC , and plan on being there for the 2nd time Gus wins, but for real this time!
    On a side note the crowd building was mental during that fight and i would say it was split 50/50. I look forward to that atmosphere again.

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

When he earns it.

Right now he shouldn't even been in the picture or discussion for the title fight. This is my issue with immediate rematchs and fighters getting lower ranked opponents to fight. His next fight should be a top 10 guy. If he wins then talk about the road back to the championship. If its a top 15 guys I could live with that but I would think the road would be a longer road back.

I love rematches. When they are earned and done properly. There isn't a set number of fights for this though. If Glover goes out and was to KO DC it would hold a lot more weight than he if DEC Te Huna. He is definitely more than 1 win away from a title fight, so let him go fight get a win and judge it from there.

Thread Information